5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 6:16 AM by Steve Grisetti

Good video card for Premiere Elements 8?

AYDY87

I've been having similar problems to some of the ones I've been reading about users having crash issues with NVidia cards and Premiere Elements 8. I am running XP with an older video card (GeForce FX 5500) which doesn't appear to have a separate driver for 3D. I'm not able to bring the card's drivers up to date due to compatibility issues with the system itself (Dell GX280) and I'm at the point of just scrapping the GeForce card and getting another. Without going over the top, what's a good, reasonably priced video card that's geared more specifically to the kind of work that Premiere does? I'm not a gamer, so I really don't care about that functionality.

Thanks - Dan

• 1. Re: Good video card for Premiere Elements 8?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I am running XP with an older video card (GeForce FX 5500) which doesn't appear to have a separate driver for 3D.

What level of 3D do you need? PrE (and even PrPro) does not support real 3D. To efficiently and effectively use an NLE, you do not need, nor do you benefit from 3D, with the smallest of exceptions. Most mid-level vidcards work just fine.

The recent nVidia cards seem to have recent drivers, where their 3D Stereovision (goggles) and PsycX modules mess up PrE and PrPro. Again, if one is not a 3D gamer, these modules can be disabled.

ATI cards have been getting great marks and have not had the same types of driver issues.

I have two nVidia cards, a Quadro 4500FX-512 on my workstation, where I do some 3D work, but no gaming, and a GeForce 8800m GTX-512 on my laptop, again with no gaming. Both work beautifully in PrE and PrPro, plus AfterEffects and the full Adobe stable of programs. No complaints from me.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Good video card for Premiere Elements 8?
            AYDY87 Level 1

I actually have no need at all for 3D. I'm just looking for a reasonably priced video card that does a good job with programs like Photoshop and Premiere. I don't do anything with this machine other than Audio/Video processing - no gaming whatsoever. I'm currently in the process of evaluating Premiere Elements for possible purchase, so I may just pull the GeForce card out of the machine, remove the drivers and temporarily use the "on board" video to finish the functionality review. If the ATI cards have a reputation for "playing well with others", then I'll probably order one as you suggest. It looks like there's a 512MB ATI Radion HD 4350 available for $50ish, which is a whole lot better than I expected.

I really appreciate the nudge in the right direction.

Thanks - Dan

• 3. Re: Good video card for Premiere Elements 8?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unlike games, photo and even video editing is not terribly graphics card intensive. The card you cite should be more than adequate.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Good video card for Premiere Elements 8?
                AYDY87 Level 1

This is good to know. I'm still a novice where this kind of thing is concerned, so it really helps to have experienced assistance.

• 5. Re: Good video card for Premiere Elements 8?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you need help getting up to speed (or just have some good, hard technical questions), you may want to check out our "sister" site, Muvipix.com, which was formed as a support site by a lot of regulars from this forum.

In addition to the most knowledgeable, helpful forum on the web, you'll also find a wealth of tutorials, tips, licensed music, motion backgrounds, custom-designed DVD menu templates and stock footage. Most of it is absolutely free, and there is even more (with unlimited downloads) for subscribers.