7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 7:08 AM by Reynolds (Mark)

Suggested improvements to Liquify …

Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Made a post like this years ago and some of the things appeared,  probably because they were obvious enough improvements. But heres more …

• A "smooth" tool. This would take any edges and discrepancies in the mesh and smooth them off, while dragging. In effect similar to "simplify" in Illustrator I suppose. There is a workaround where you can use one of the other tools and drag but it just doesn't work - maybe I've missed something and there IS a way to do this?

• Make the Bloat and Pucker tools less severe. These are very difficult to use  at present because even on very low brush rates, they make massive changes. The whole point of Liquify for generally is that it can be used to do very subtle changes easily. The other tools are adjustable - but the bloat and pucker tools have been poorly judged.

• To be able to scroll image past the edge boundaries, like full screen in Photoshop. Having the image nailed to the corners of the work area, is just too limiting, and difficult to position the area UNDER you brush freely as you work.

The ability to work on a low res PREVIEW of the image in the main dialog. Once again, because I asked for this before, A button saying "downscale for working copy". The image then switch to a low res preview instantly allowing larger brush sizes, and more instant refresh. At the moment on high res images nearly everyone doing high end work needs to set up an action to dupe the doc, downscale the image to 25%, save the grid down and load it into the main document, with dialogs all the way. This functionality should really all be built into the Liquify main dialog,

• And while we are at it make the whole thing work using Open GL to speed it up. Thanks

I would upgrade for these changes alone

• 1. Re: Suggested improvements to Liquify …
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

A »Smooth«-Tool sounds appealing, but the math involved might be a bit … difficult?

And may I add: Applicability as a Smart-Filter (that remembers its mesh) would improve Liquify no small amount in my opinion.

Have You seen the video linked to in this thread, by the way?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/504839

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Suggested improvements to Liquify …
            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Yes I've seen it, a new "brush styles" panel eh?

Yes I think this all looks interesting, but as an experienced 'nose shrinker' and 'flab reducer' -  for me Liquify and its very fine controls will be hard to replace. And watching Scott Kelby doing YMCA too many times, might cause me problems I would need to go see a professional about.

I agree about the Smart Object grids. I think the overhead in terms of file sizes and loading times (grid loading) might make this impossible though.

• 3. Re: Suggested improvements to Liquify …
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Well, I’m not very enthusiastic about the brushes, but the improved transformations might be good – whenever they will actually be published.

I think the overhead in terms of file sizes and loading times (grid loading) might make this impossible though.

Yeah, included grids would bloat file-sizes even more. 

Apropos new features: Have You ever used the Content Aware-Rescale for actual work?

Because while it is certainly an impressive programming achievement I have, so far, had no use for it – apart from showing somebody the CS4-features.

• 4. Re: Suggested improvements to Liquify …
                Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                Have You ever used the Content Aware-Rescale for actual work?

No I haven't. Though I can remember a few very specific jobs in the past where I would have done, if it had been available. Its the kind of thing that as a seasoned user that you forget exsists.

Yes I think that new (orthagonal grid looks like) transform also looks very useful.

On a completely different subject… The aibilty to mix paint like that in photoshop (Painter style) is something I've been missing since I started using it. I think whats going on under the surface there looks very clever,. The problem with many of Photoshops newer features is that they are coded in such a way as makes them very slow to operate - and of dubious value because of this (ie 'Quick' Select). So main thing I'm hoping is that that this new paint technology doesn't fall into the same category on high res files.

• 5. Re: Suggested improvements to Liquify …
                  ChrisPoel

In regards to your comment about punk/bloat being severe: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2373264#2373264

• 6. Re: Suggested improvements to Liquify …
                    AlexMxi Level 1

Smooth tool would be nice to have.

Another suggestion:

- Fade slider for liquify tool. It shouldn't work with opacity, like for other filters, but with the liquify mesh and lessen effect 0-100%.

- A simple way to bring out the last used mesh, like for example opening levels or curves with Alt pressed brings out last used settings.

I know you can save and load a mesh, but saving it every time before pressing ok is not very convenient.

• 7. Re: Suggested improvements to Liquify …
                      Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                      I know you can save and load a mesh, but saving it every time before pressing ok is not very convenient.

Yes I think having a drop down of saved meshes would be a good idea too.