10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2009 2:58 PM by dan_public2

CPUs for HDV/AVCHD editing

mtechman Level 1

I am starting to put together my system, piece by piece (I am cheap so i wont buy till I find it on sale)

I have read on this forum alot about the i7 920 being the best cpu to get.

As I have spoken to some of the retailers (only one who seem to know what they are talking about)

They have mentioned i7 is last years technology and that video editors

like it because it can be greatly over clocked.

But since its last years news what about the i5 (this years news).

It is less powerful?

I have been told it cant be over clocked, is that a feature  Intel purposefully removed since it has the

power and doesnt need to be over clocked?

What about AMD Phenom?

• 1. Re: CPUs for HDV/AVCHD editing
          mtechman Level 1

Read on Toms hardware which explains why prefers i7 for editing, but why not i5?

• 2. Re: CPUs for HDV/AVCHD editing
            Jim_Simon Level 9
            i7 is last years technology

True, but the i5, while newer, is more of a midrange line.  Intel released the top of the line i7s first.  They're still the best option around.  (At least until the 32 nm chips come out next year.)

• 3. Re: CPUs for HDV/AVCHD editing
              Harm Millaard Level 7

AMD is left in the dust by any modern Intel CPU. i5 has no HT, i7 does. Your best bang-for-the-buck is the i7-920 because of the future proof socket. It is comparable to the i7-860 in price and performance, but the 860 lacks some overclocking capabilites, lacks the upgrade path to the Gulftown and lacks PCIe expansion capabilities and only has on-board graphics cababilities.

• 4. Re: CPUs for HDV/AVCHD editing
                dan_public2 Level 1

Harm,

I'm wrestling with a CPU decision for my new system I7-920 vs I7-870.  In your post above, you compared the 920 with the 860.   Do your 860 comments still apply to the 870?   I.e. the 920 is still the better alternative?

Thanks and regards,

Dan.

• 5. Re: CPUs for HDV/AVCHD editing
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

In my opinion it is. The i7-870 is pretty expensive in comparison to the 920. This is of course offset by the mobo price (P55 are a lot cheaper than X58 boards, but more limited in both PCI-e expansion, graphics capabilities and memory capabilities, not to consider Gulftown capabilities).

I still have to see i7-870 benchmark results, but take into consideration that my system, which is based on a i7-920, holds the top position on the http://www.passmark.com/baselines/top.html list with a score of 6055, that my same system running at only 3441 MHz holds rank 9 with a score of 4623 on that same list (see BL# 106949), which leaves all the other systems running at 4000+ MHz in the dust, further consider my top position at the PPBM4 list and I think that I can safely say that I have a pretty decent system and if I were to build a new system today, I would not change anything relevant today, despite that my system is already 6 months old. Maybe a Noctua NH-14 cooler instead of the NH-12 I have, or some SuperMicro disk cages. But that is all.

Look at the results below to see how my system performs in comparison to others, and you may be convinced:

This is at a clock speed of 3441 MHz

Passmark 3,4.jpg

• 6. Re: CPUs for HDV/AVCHD editing
                    dan_public2 Level 1

Harm,

Many thanks for the great feedback and for including your comment about the CPU cooler.  I hadn't given the cooler much thought, but now I realize that I need consider at least modest overclocking and cooling can become critical.    The Noctua coolers look VERY nice.

One additional question - If you don't mind sharing, do you have a complete listing of your system configuration posted somewhere?  

Thanks and regards,

Dan.

• 7. Re: CPUs for HDV/AVCHD editing
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Here are my system specs:

PCResults.jpg

Here are some PassMark results while running at 3441 MHz:

Passmark 3,4.jpg

for comparison with http://www.passmark.com/baselines/top.html , where the top score of 6055 is also my system, albeit at a clock speed of 4195 MHz.

28-08-2009 21-47-48.jpg

• 8. Re: CPUs for HDV/AVCHD editing
                        dan_public2 Level 1

Harm,

Thanks for the quick response.  This helps me a lot.  I may not be able to recreate your workstation, but it gives me a great target to shoot at.

And let me guess...  You like Samsung Spinpoints!?! 

Dan.

• 9. Re: CPUs for HDV/AVCHD editing
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

I have had many different brands in the past, Seagate, WD, Maxtor and Samsungs. I have had noticeable problems with Seagates, but maybe I was just unlucky with failure rates exceeding 70% in my case, and with Samsungs only 13%. You have to accept failures and be prepared for them with redundancy for instance. Why did I choose for Samsungs? Simple, I have 16 of them in my workstation so the price was overriding. Add to that the largely exuberant reviews these disks got with low temperatures, low noise and good reliability and my choice was made. If money was no object I may have chosen for WD Caviar Blacks, but with 16 disks the price differential was too big in my opinion. If I would only need a few I would probably opt for the WD's.

• 10. Re: CPUs for HDV/AVCHD editing
                            dan_public2 Level 1

Harm,

Again, thanks!   Wading through a new system config is much more difficult that I thought.   But getting a high-performance workflow for Premiere, Photoshop, and a stock trading analysis app (downloads and crunches stock data) is critical to me.   A cost-effective, high-performance workstation is central to this.

Regards,

Dan.