16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 3:32 AM by VDOSurfer

PE8 Hard Drive Space

rawatts Level 1

Just installed PE8 and had not seen any comments that it takes up more than twice the hard drive space of PE7.  What new features take up so much space?

• 1. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, I can't give you specific numbers, but the new features are listed in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/496335?tstart=0

Or were you just being rhetorical?

• 2. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
            rawatts Level 1

Steve,

I guess I should have been more specific.

The size of the installed program did not change that much from PE4 to PE7 and there was a similar, but different list of new features a year ago.  I was wondering (and was not really sure if anyone in the forum knew)  if the new organizer, more templets, PE8's ability to track motion, etc. or a change in basic programming increased the size of the installed program by more than 100%.

Just curious because I had not heard that PE8 is a radical change from PE7.

Bob

• 3. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This would be a good question for AT Romero, as he had both PrE 7 & 8 installed, IIRC. The size of the two programs should still be available on his computer, though his trial on PrE 8 has lapsed, and at last comment, he'd not gotten his PrE 8 yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I am being haunted by my father, paternal grandfather, and all the generations of Romano to protect the surname.

A.T. Romano  (aka ATR, or as SG calls me, Tony)

• 5. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob,

You raised an interesting question that I have put off mentioning because I was unsure of what I was seeing for program file size and was waiting for arrival of the purchased version to confirm or refute.

When I downloaded the Premiere Elements 8 tryout, the download dialog said that the download file size was 1.7 GB. Now keep in mind that the download contained one DVD Menu Template. It did have that new feature where all your effects had thumbnails showing a mini preview of what the effect would look like when applied. (Truely a waste, I thought, since it was such as mini thumbnail, but....) Also, as I recall, this new Welcome Screen had some sort of default built in tracking back to Adobe for certain data (that I disabled right off). If I thought longer, perhaps I might add more to the list of  possible hard drive space eaters???

It was not until I went to uninstall Premiere Elements 8 tryout that I could not believe my eyes....Control Panel/Add Remove/Premiere Elements 8 = 16000 MB whereas,

Premiere Elements 2.....................4918.00 MB

Premiere Elements 4.....................3591.00 MB

Premiere Elements 4 Templates.....3591.00 MB

Premiere Elements 7.....................4398.00 MB

Premiere Elements 7 Templates.....4398.00 MB

My first thought was that I tacked on one too many 0 onto 16000, but.... What Size did you get in the Control Panel/Add Remove Programs for Premiere Elements 8? Do you have a second entry there for Premiere Elements 8 Templates? If so, what size is that? And, are you dealing with the purchased or the tryout?

To be continued....

ATR

• 6. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
                    rawatts Level 1

ATR

I installed from DVD yesterday.

Maybe it is the way things are combined in PE8.  In my control panel PE8.0 is 10,237MB but there is no listing for PE8 templates.

I also found an old listing for Smart Sound Quick Track that was 2.01MB and I believe part of PE7 install.  So if I add up PE7 program, templates and smart sound the size difference is not that much.

I did notice Photoshop Elements grew from 385MB to the same 10,237MB, but this is a topic for another forum.

Bob

• 7. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

Thanks for the additional information.

I will update this thread when Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8 get installed here.

ATR

• 8. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Sorry for my mistyping. Must have been too much wine tasting. As I follow the actor Ray Romano on many charity golf events, I know better!

I'll try to not make that mistake again, unless I have too much wine...

Hunt

• 9. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
                          Rodrigues Regan Level 1

Bob,

The total size of the application can increase with more content. I guess you might have observed the new content. Also i see there are quiet a few new features in Premiere Elements 8.0 including Motion tracking/smart trimming/effect mask/smart mix etc.

I hope thats solve your mystry a bit.

Thanks

-RR

• 10. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
                            rawatts Level 1

This is the biggest jump in size PE8 17,690MB

Templets    5,658MB

Smart Sount              2MB

• 11. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Smart Sount              2MB

I'm curious how this compares to previous versions of PrE, regarding the SmartSound Libraries.

I cannot check back to PrE 4, because all of my SmartSound Libraries get moved ot an external HDD, whether they were included, or were bought from SmartSound.

Just curious,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

As a follow up to Hunt's last remarks, right now I still have just

Photoshop Elements 3

Photoshop Elements 6

Photoshop Elements 7

Premiere Elements 2

Premiere Elements 4

Premiere Elements 7

installed on my computer with the Control Panel/Add Remove Program space as indicated in my previousl post.

Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8 tryout have been completely uninstalled and the latest versions not yet installed.

When I went to Control Panel/Add Remove Programs, there was only one Smart Sound entry, that being, "Smart Sound Quicktracks for Premiere Elements" = 2.01 MB. I have not attempted to purchase any Smart Sound Quicktracks to supplement the free ones that come Premiere Elements 7. There is no Smart Sound feature with free Smart Sound Quicktracks that come built in with my Premiere Elements 4 or 2.

I am wondering if what appears to be a leap up in file size for Premiere Elements 8 is the reasoning behind the stability issues that pop up and those reports of how it is better not to have more than one version of Premiere Elements installed on the same computer when Premiere Elements 8 is in the mix???

ATR

• 13. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
                                  rawatts Level 1

I still have Smart Sound that is associated with PE7 installed.  I did not buy anything extra and it is the same 2.01MB as PE8.

• 14. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    I did not buy anything extra and it is the same 2.01MB as PE8.

Thank you. Over the years, and the various SmartSound enabled NLE's, I have seen different/additional SmartSound content.

For me, it's tough to really know where some of it came from, because I own most of their Libraries, so some of the included content from Pinnacle, CyberLink, PrE, etc., blend in with the thousands of songs from my purchased Libraries.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 15. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      There is no Smart Sound feature with free Smart Sound Quicktracks that come built in with my Premiere Elements 4 or 2.

ATR,

Thank you for the report. I did not think that PrE 4 had SmartSound built in. It seemed that it was added in PrE 7. Because I have had many other NLE's where it was part of the installation, it's hard to remember. It seems that it was about Pinnacle Studio 7, where I first encountered SmartSound - maybe later. I know that CyberLink PowerDirector also had it. However, as I have all Libraries in a common location, it's tough to remember exactly what the content was, and where it came from, especially as I own most of their Libraries.

I greatly appreciate the memory jog, and it appears that PrE 7's SmartSound is almost identical to that of PrE 8's. Not any reason for the total disk space to expand. Now, that is eliminated, and everyone can concentrate on other things.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 16. Re: PE8 Hard Drive Space
                                        VDOSurfer Level 3

The new features (smart mix, smart trim etc) newer templates make PE8 wonderful to work. I have loved it so far. Over the years, I have had a (personal) opinion that "If the install size is too high, the features have got to be great and PC will get that much slower when the app is running" Have not changed my opinion one bit in the last 7 yrs or so. Immaterial of the PC configuration actually. A faster PC gets comparatively "slower" and the install size gets higher release by release as does the complexity of the software. Same for Windows 98 to Windows 7. Well everywhere I see actually.

And looking at the way this thread went, everyone boiled down to a certain 2 MB! I guess that solves it and we had just enough space for this comment