3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 7:51 AM by ~graffiti

NEED HELP OPENING SAVED ADOBE FILE

petey*ray

I had some important info saved on a disc (an adobe reader file).  I hadn't tried opening it in a while but when I try opening it it says something about a file i/o error.  Is there a solution or is the info lost?  I don't know if it has anything to do with the different laptops because I remember being able to view it on my old laptop.  Please help!

• 1. Re: NEED HELP OPENING SAVED ADOBE FILE
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More than likely it is corrupt. Did you only trey and open it off the disk or have you tried saving it to your hard drive, opening Reader, then using File>Open to open it?

• 2. Re: NEED HELP OPENING SAVED ADOBE FILE
            petey*ray Level 1

I TRIED TO SAVE IT TO THE HARD DRIVE AND OPEN IT BUT IT WOULD NOT EVEN SAVE IT. THERE WAS ANOTHER ERROR MESSAGE.  BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH.  WHAT CAUSES A CORRUPT FILE?

• 3. Re: NEED HELP OPENING SAVED ADOBE FILE
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

petey*ray wrote:

I TRIED TO SAVE IT TO THE HARD DRIVE AND OPEN IT BUT IT WOULD NOT EVEN SAVE IT. THERE WAS ANOTHER ERROR MESSAGE.  BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH.  WHAT CAUSES A CORRUPT FILE?

If you couldn't save it to your drive then it's probably a corrupt disk rather than a corrupt file.

As far as causes for corrupt files, there can be many causes. The disk could be corrupt because it wasn't formatted correctly (and your OS won't read it), it could be scratched, just a plain old bad disk (I test all of mine before sending them to anyone)...etc. Again, many reasons it could be bad.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you won't be able to save your file.