I"ve been pulling my hair out the last few days because I have a project that has been compiling just fine but when I created a branch in RoboSource and checked it out and tried to compile I get an Unexpected Microsoft HTML Compiler error. I've looked and looked to find what might be different. Today when reading posts, (thank you to everyone who posts problems and solutions here) I ran across something regarding referencing a file that is too deep in the tree. That made me think about the directory names. So, I changed the compile location to a higher place in the tree and it compiled.
Does anyone know if there is a limit on the path to where the .chm file is built and if so, what that limit is?
I'm not sure anyone has definitely found a limit although as you have found long paths can be an issue. I'd guess it is 255 characters as this figure pops up elsewhere. As a general rule I try and keep my project paths as short as possible, even abbreviating directory names where possible.
Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
Thank you Colum for the response. Just an update to anyone who is running into this problem also. I shortened the directory name where the help is being compiled and all is well. Moral of the story - as Colum suggests, keep your directory names as short as possible. This was a tough error to track down as any of you who have received it can attest. There was really no information to go on. So, in the end my Unexpected Microsoft HTML compile error was due to too long of a path where the .chm was being compiled.