• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a limit on the length of the path when compiling HTML Help?

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2009 Oct 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I"ve been pulling my hair out the last few days because I have a project that has been compiling just fine but when I created a branch in RoboSource and checked it out and tried to compile I get an Unexpected Microsoft HTML Compiler error. I've looked and looked to find what might be different. Today when reading posts, (thank you to everyone who posts problems and solutions here) I ran across something regarding referencing a file that is too deep in the tree. That made me think about the directory names. So, I changed the compile location to a higher place in the tree and it compiled.

Does anyone know if there is a limit on the path to where the .chm file is built and if so, what that limit is?

Thanks,

Nita

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Hi Nita.

I'm not sure anyone has definitely found a limit although as you have found long paths can be an issue. I'd guess it is 255 characters as this figure pops up elsewhere. As a general rule I try and keep my project paths as short as possible, even abbreviating directory names where possible.

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nita.

I'm not sure anyone has definitely found a limit although as you have found long paths can be an issue. I'd guess it is 255 characters as this figure pops up elsewhere. As a general rule I try and keep my project paths as short as possible, even abbreviating directory names where possible.

Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Colum for the response. Just an update to anyone who is running into this problem also. I shortened the directory name where the help is being compiled and all is well. Moral of the story - as Colum suggests, keep your directory names as short as possible. This was a tough error to track down as any of you who have received it can attest. There was really no information to go on. So, in the end my Unexpected Microsoft HTML compile error was due to too long of a path where the .chm was being compiled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp