10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2009 8:28 PM by the_wine_snob

Recode a FLV in Premiere

Havalilsi Level 1

I recently produced a FLV file for the web from a 1 hour long video. I made a couple mistakes by first making the FLV too big, >150M and second erasing the original files before I throughly tested my work.  The FLV I now have is a little over 150M and I would like to get it down to 135M. Is there a way or a setting to bring the FLV back in and resize it without taking a huge hit on quality? I also have an ISO of the same project. Would I be able to use that even? I know I can go the MPEGStreamClip route, but I was hoping to not have to do that.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Recode a FLV in Premiere
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Through CS3, you can purchase and install Moyea's FLV-Importer plug-in for PrPro. There is/was not a CS4 version, last time that I checked. In earlier versions, it works like a charm.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Recode a FLV in Premiere
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            erasing the original files

Oh, never do that.  Always keep original media - on tape, hard drive, DVD-ROM, whatever.  Just never get rid of original media.

• 3. Re: Recode a FLV in Premiere
              Havalilsi Level 1

Actually I have CS4.

I capture the sermons at church and its usually only on Saturdays, but for this month I have to capture 2 on Saturday, 1 on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. They all have to be on the web before the next night's sermon so I capture straight to HDD. I only run tapes as backup in case the computer crashes during a sermon, but I never even bother to lalbe tapes since I reuse them. I was running out of space on my HDD so I had to erase a bunch of videos....

I tried putting the video back into Premiere but the video came out smalle in viewable size, but I guess thats what I get for erasing files too quickly.

• 4. Re: Recode a FLV in Premiere
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I never even bother to lalbe tapes since I reuse them. I was running out of space on my HDD so I had to erase a bunch of videos....

It is time for the pastor, preacher, rabi, etc. to do a special collection for the acquisition of more tapes and an external HDD, or two.

I tried putting the video back into Premiere but the video came out smalle in viewable size

This is most likely a mis-match between your Project and your source footage. You can do a Desktop (Custom) Sequence (since you're on CS4) to match the footage, and then Export as is needed. Prior to CS4, you had to do a separate Desktop Project.

Good luck, and I am only 1/4 kidding about that "special collection."

Hunt

• 5. Re: Recode a FLV in Premiere
                  Havalilsi Level 1

What is a custom desktop sequence? Is that where I go Ctrl+N and choose what kind of video I have? If it is, I tried a couple before I posted. I can never quite figure out which one to use when I get different footage from different cameras. I usually end up having to go through a bunch to get one to fit, and if push comes to shove, I just convert to .dv in MPEGStreamClip.

Would you believe I have over 5 TB of storage and I'm still running low on space. I need to get on the ball with my editing and erase some old footage.

I ended up just bringing back the FLV file into Premiere, made the clip physically bigger in the clip and re-rendered. It went from 150Megs to 88Megs. A bit smaller than I would have liked, but still viewable none the less.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• 6. Re: Recode a FLV in Premiere
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    What is a custom desktop sequence? Is that where I go Ctrl+N and choose what kind of video I have? If it is, I tried a couple before I posted. I can never quite figure out which one to use when I get different footage from different cameras. I usually end up having to go through a bunch to get one to fit, and if push comes to shove, I just convert to .dv in MPEGStreamClip.

You are correct. Your Sequence (or Project in versions prior to CS4) Preset needs to match your source footage, in every way. Obviously, with footage that you Capture in PrPro will be known. For other footage, one must investigate very closely. Programs, like G-Spot can be of great use, as can the Properties panels in QT Pro, and WMP, if necessary. The details are very important, and the match needs to be 100% or issues will insue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Recode a FLV in Premiere
                      Lame Tigrrrr Level 1

Why use a third-party plug-in to import flv files to premiere? Why not just the adobe ts (the premiere team) create a program as a built-in plug-in of premiere? I think the Adobe Flash Player/Encoder programmers can do this.

• 8. Re: Recode a FLV in Premiere
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Why use a third-party plug-in to import flv files to premiere?

Up until CS4, this was the best way to handle the situation. From an Adobe perspective, FLV is a delivery format, and not meant to be edited. I can see this. It's the same with .VOB files. They are delivery files, and not meant to be edited, but CS4.1 did add this functionality. Yes, quality does suffer (hence the reticence to include it in edit formats), but it can be done now, without conversions, so long as the .VOB is 100% DVD-compliant.

I would expect that Adobe ill add full FLV support in the future, but do not know this as a fact.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Recode a FLV in Premiere
                          Havalilsi Level 1

I was just able to put a DVD into Premiere and now I'm able to convert it to FLV. I'm so happy. I was looking at a lot of work to get a week's worth of videos up on the web, even thought they're late.

Now the big question, is there a particular sequence I need to use to bring in a VOB file? I used the regular widescreen NTSC, but I got the red line and have to render first.

• 10. Re: Recode a FLV in Premiere
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, .VOB's. Well, these are "not created equal" [SIC - that quote should be "equally," but adverbs must have not come into use yet?]

OK, this ARTICLE will give you some background on .VOB's. Basically, they are MPEG-2 files, but can contain much more. With 100% DVD-compliant (very important) .VOB's, CS4.1 can Import them and edit them smoothly. In other versions, one might have to do one of several different things to edit the AV files contained within. The workflow might well depend on exactly what is inside the VOB file.

Good luck, and glad that you're on your way,

Hunt