3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2009 5:41 AM by Flash ah-ah

How to not create a desktop icon in AIR installation

alinke

Hi, because AIR cannot launch a local .EXE, I need to have a non-AIR .exe do some things and then call the AIR app. Problem is that the AIR installation also creates an icon on the desktop which is confusing to the end users and often times they click the AIR icon directly as opposed to the non-AIR .exe which calls the AIR .exe.

My questions is:

1. Is there a way for just windows, to have the AIR installation not create the icon on the desktop but still create icons for MAC and LINUX.

2. If not, then is there a way to have the AIR installation not create the icons for all cases and then I'd just need to manage different project files: one for Windows and one for Mac/Linux

thanks

• 1. Re: How to not create a desktop icon in AIR installation
          adobe_paul Adobe Employee

I'm pretty sure there's no way on any platform to force the AIR installer to not create desktop icons, assuming the user leaves the checkbox checked.

What you really need, especially if you're communicating with another .exe, is to bundle your AIR app into a separate windows installer that installs the AIR app (optionally the AIR runtime), and the exe.

In AIR 2.0 (which will be released in public beta before the end of the year) you can call an exe directly from an AIR app and get data back via stdin/stdout/stderror.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to not create a desktop icon in AIR installation
            vevedh

Yes, the solution is waitting ADOBE AIR 2.0, i also the same problem.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to not create a desktop icon in AIR installation
              Flash ah-ah

Hi,

I have the same problem for different reasons,  I'm delivering an AIR app for a customer who has a company wide policy of no desktop icons for apps installed on work machines.

The app in question fires up at Start Up so there is no need for one anyway.

So is there absolutely no way (in AIR 1.5) I can prevent Adobe AIR from placing an icon on the desktop if the user does not untick the box when installing?

Thanks

Craig