4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2009 10:52 PM by Lost In My Mind

Useable RAM

Lost In My Mind Level 1

I have been looking for a new computer to keep up with AE and some of my other programs. Taking most peoples advice, I was looking for 6-12 Gigs of RAM. I bought this months PC World magazine, and in the editorial part, they say that on a 32-bit system you 'can't take advantage of more than 4GB of RAM.'  Is that true?? I only thought I was confused before......... Thanks.

• 1. Re: Useable RAM
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

It's partially true.

I mean for Windows XP 32, it's completely true. Maybe worse than that, even.

But AE is a 32-bit app that runs nicely on 64-bit systems.

In any case, it's not that you can't take advantage of more than 4 GB. It's that you can't address more than 4 GB at the same time, for a single application.

AE drives around this limitation to an extent, by launching a separate rendering application for each physical core in your computer, when you enable the "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously" feature. So, in this case, it would be "up to 4 GB of RAM per core/rendering instance". A quad core machine could happily use up to 16 GB of RAM, for example.

But ultimately, it's still a limitation. The main app can't use more than 4 GB for RAM previews, for example. And it can become starved when working with very large source files or Compositions (in terms of pixel count, I mean). So, this week announcement about the next version of AE becoming a full-blown, native 64 bit AE is very important in this regard. And the reason why this was announced now is... so that you take this into account when shopping for a new system. Also, fly away from 32-bit operating systems as soon as possible. AE already works much better on 64-bit OSes.

Now, let met stress that there's no such thing as too much RAM. Especially under the light of yesterday's announcement. If you're thinking 6-12 GB, by all means get 12 GB.

• 2. Re: Useable RAM
            Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thank you as always Adolfo for all your help and knowledge. I appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me. I'm glad you pointed out that a 64-bit system is the way to go, as I don't want to have to turn around in a year or so and be upgrading again. I would rather bite the bullet now, and get a computer that is still going to do the job down the road. Thanks again.

PS. Would you have a link to the 'announcement' that you refered to?

• 3. Re: Useable RAM
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Everything you say here... is exactly the reason why Adobe made this announcement now rather than later

More info on the announcement on Todd's blog and in (AE Product Manager) Michael Coleman's blog.

• 4. Re: Useable RAM
                Lost In My Mind Level 1

Wow, great links! Looks like I will be doing some more reading for a while . Thanks again Adolfo.