2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 4:46 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

is there a way to use a path as a selection marquee?

oompal Level 1

Is there a way to take path, closed, and select everything that falls inside? or crosses it?

• 1. Re: is there a way to use a path as a selection marquee?
          JETalmage Level 6

Nope. I've been suggesting that for years as a better interface for both "lasso" selections and cutting paths.

If Illustrator's Javascript model provided a function for path intersection and "collision", (similar to FlashScript's ability to detect path collisions) scripting such a solution would probably be trivial. But there is no such function provided.

Such a function could be leveraged for other features, too. For example, imagine integrating it with Symbols. You're drawing a map. You have a Symbol of a tree. You draw a path in the shape of the forest, and issue a command to randomly position any desired number of Instances of the Symbol.within the path. (Compare the speed and ease of that to the tedious and difficult-to-control Symbolism tools.)

You can do cumbersome workarounds, but so far, any I've come up with proove too sluggish. For example, you could semi-automate this with a combination of Script and Actions:

1. Draw a path.

2. Fill it with a Pattern Swatch (or Create Object Mosaic)

3. Expand the fill (or Ungroup the Object Mosaic)

4. Replace the resulting Groups (or Object Mosiac paths) with Instances of a Symbol.

5. Use the Random setting of Transform Each to somewhat "randomize" the placements.

But even that does not guarantee intersection with the original path.

I have used similar routines to script the creation of pseudo halftones and diffusion dithers. But for much detail the scripts are very slow.

JET

• 2. Re: is there a way to use a path as a selection marquee?
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Selection Options could be improved.