1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 9:45 AM by try67

How to get FindAgain & FindPrevious from javascript OR other options

Ben@Intel

Hi All, I'm trying to use the 'SearchResults -> Next Hit [Old]     'SearchSubmenu -> FindAgain' [New]

Out of all these: Find | FindSearch | SearchSubmenu | FindAgain | FindPrevious

Only 'Find' and 'FindSearch' works from javascript - None of others worked on Adobe 9 Pro:

For example: app.execMenuItem("FindAgain") did not work and no errors on debugger,

Please let me know, how I will be able to get to the next search item and previous search item from app.execMenuItem

I even tried these two to include with priv restrictions: app.beginPriv(); app.execMenuItem("FindAgain"); app.endPriv();

========================================================================================

I'm attaching the zip file that contains the two required files to view a pdf in a browser through html.

History: I'm working on this to help a old aged home where they have touch screens and it is very difficult for some to identify a pdf tool bar buttons or use their pdf's efficiently.

So, I was thinking about it for over six months and started two weeks back to really help them. Though I did not expect that it is going to make me purchase pdf 9 pro. I did. But, even after that with all these hours working on this, I could not get this working.

I got few samples from Jeff's:    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/ajax/quickstart/scripting_pdf.html

I did use these files and trying to get that only feature which is 'Find Next' and 'Find Previous'. In fact tried almost all 'AcroSrch.....  es

In the html, I have hard coded a search string 'lorem' with #search=lorem..., I plan to get a new search string from other html page. I will do it later.

As per Jeff, I had that 'Edit java Script' inlcuded in the pdf file.

If you get a chance please check the attachment. (Open test.html in the browser)

IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY IN THIS WHOLE WORLD TO GET THIS 'FIND NEXT' and 'FIND PREVIOUS' to work? OR ANY OTHER IDEAS THAT WOULD GET THIS WORKING. THANKS A LOT. OR ATLEAST IN OLDER VERSIONS, IF POSSIBLE, ANY IDEAS THAT WOULD BE MOST WELCOME

========================================================================================

if you can think of any ideas which can make this happen, it can be any even to buy some additional software or option to add some buttons in pdf itself that can do the job or sending the keyboard shortcuts commands like 'Ctrl+G' and 'Shift+Ctrl+G' [which does the same like 'FindNext' 'FindPrevious'] to the pdf object from the html button action would help,

• 1. Re: How to get FindAgain & FindPrevious from javascript OR other options
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Both app.execMenuItem("FindAgain") and app.execMenuItem("FindPrevious") work just fine in Acrobat 8 Pro (from the console), but only after manually running the Find version once.

Think about it, all that JS does is call these functions. So calling Find from JS will basically not do anything because you can't specify to it what to search for. Even typing the string you want to search for in the "find" field doesn't work.

If you want to find words in a file using a script you will need to use getPageNthWord.