15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2009 4:58 PM by kishoreda-RrOFau

Best setting Premier Pro CS3

kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Hello friends !

I hope some people participate , and help .

I use premier CS3 and often work with music videos

each of my videos has a length of 5 mins or less

I used to use "Export to Movie" option and just use the default settings (my final AVI files size was around 650mb) , but recently discovered through a friend that we could get  a better result by changing the settings a bit , at Media Convert

Oobviously i went through some topics in the FAQ about what setting to use for YouTube videos as well, but looks like pretty much everything is outdated , so after some researches , i got these settings for youtube videos, i used these settings and the outcome was not bad , here is what i used for a 5 mins music video for youtube :

format : Mpeg2

summary :

NTSC, 1280x720---29.97drop fram[fps]  , progressive, Quality 5.0

bitrate settings :

Bitrate encoding    VBR, 1pass

Minimum bitrate 4

target bitrate 10
      maximum bitrate   18.5

So, my question is :

is that about right to you or certain settings needs to be changed for youtube

and what settings do you recommend for a 5 mins video in AVI format

thanks

• 1. Re: Best setting Premier Pro CS3
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>needs to be changed for youtube

Based on reading several dozen questions about youtube over the past year or so, the answer is...

Go to youtube and read there to find out what they want... it changes often enough due to the way they work that only youtube knows what youtube wants

• 2. Re: Best setting Premier Pro CS3
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As John points out, YouTube changes their requirements so very often, so the recs. from Dan Isaacs in this ARTICLE might be out of date by now. Still, his suggestions should be a good starting point. Then, one would adapt those to the changes that YouTube might have made.

About the time that a power-user, like Dan, comes up with specs., they are obsolete almost over night - that is just the nature of the beast.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Best setting Premier Pro CS3
              kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Ok guys many thanks for the responds !

Honestly, i did a lots of research on youtube videos, even watched tutorials on youtube as well, but its very confusing in many ways because one person says one thing and the other person says something else , and don't know who is right, some of you with more experience should be able to direct few of us here towards the right path, and your help and tips will be preciated .

here is what youtube wants :

ResolutionRecommended: 1280 x 720 (16x9 HD) and 640 x 480 (4:3 SD)
              There is no required minimum resolution - in general the higher resolution the better and HD resolution is preferred. For older content, lower resolution is unavoidable.
              Bit rateBecause bit-rate is highly dependent on codec there is no recommended or minimum value. Videos should be optimized for resolution, aspect ratio and frame rate rather than bit rate.
              Frame rateThe frame rate of the original video should be maintained without re-sampling. In particular pulldown and other frame rate re-sampling techniques are strongly discouraged.
              CodecH.264, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 preferred.
              Audio
              CodecMP3 or AAC preferred
              Sampling rate44.1kHz
              Channels2 (stereo)

I used Mpeg2 , 29.97 , ntsc, 1280x720 , prgressive , quality 5  ,   VBR1 PASS , minBR4,   TargetBR 10,  MaximumBR 18.5

Ok , the output quality was good enough i guess, if some of you don't wanna help fine !!

but the other question that i have is  :

What do you guys recommend for a 5mins music video, final output is an AVI ???

NOW THIS ONE IS NOT FOR YOUTUBE

ONLY FOR SOME SATTILITE TV STATION

thanks

• 4. Re: Best setting Premier Pro CS3
                Harm Millaard Level 7

What kind of AVI for what medium?

• 5. Re: Best setting Premier Pro CS3
                  kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

thanks for the respond !

what kind of AVI ?

the kind that is generated by "Export to Movie"  from export  section of Premier Pro  CS3 (I believe its Microsoft DV AVI)

Ok, here its :

once i am done with editing , adding effect and etc, then i use the "Export to Movie" command to turn my work to an AVI file, then i copy the AVI on to a flash card and then i take it to this sattilite TV staion (Galaxy 25KU)

the sattilite TVstaion drags and drops my AVI on their timeline and it plays on sattilite channels

they want me to give them either ,MOV(quick time) or a simple AVI

well, whenever i take an Microsoft DV AVI file to this sattilite station , they play it well.

But if i don't use the "Export to Movie"

then i can goto File >>Export>>Adobe Media Encodrer, then obviously it gives more more choices , what codecs to use as well as the choice of different Bitrates and other  settings !

• 6. Re: Best setting Premier Pro CS3
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    can goto File >>Export>>Adobe Media Encodrer, then obviously it gives more more choices , what codecs to use as well as the choice of different Bitrates and other  settings !

For .MOV Exports, I find that the Animation CODEC works well, regardless of the platform. Much beyond that, one can get into trouble in either direction.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Best setting Premier Pro CS3
                      kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

ok thanks buddy

i know that all or most of those codecs will work or might work, but my question was or is :

from your experience , what setting i need to change in order to get better results ..

My final output file, which is a Microsoft DV AVI file , but its only around 650mb, is there anyway , where i should change some of the settings and get a better result ?

for example use less compressions , or increase the bitarates or some ..

one time i didn't use any compression at all, the size of my output file was around 12gb, the quality was too good , but i don't think internet or TV station can handle that big of a file to play it smoothly...

so, again is there anyway to set my compression level less, so if a get a output file of 2gb then i should be ok..

my friend is using Final Cut Pro , most of his videos are about 2gb or so !!

• 8. Re: Best setting Premier Pro CS3
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

For DV AVI, you have no options to change bitrates or compression. It is all predefined. Uncompressed at 12 GB would result in DV around 2.4 GB, so check whether you are exporting the sequence or the work area bar. What is the length of your timeline?

• 9. Re: Best setting Premier Pro CS3
                          kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

ok buddy

my timeline lenght is about 15mins , but i dont use all the timeline , i use only 5mins of it , basically i set my work area from beggining of the song till the end of the song , which is about 5 mins and when i render , i render the work area only.

so, what you think !

• 11. Re: Best setting Premier Pro CS3
                            kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

is my question too complicated ?

• 12. Re: Best setting Premier Pro CS3
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Kind of.  There is no one best setting for YouTube.  Experiment and observe the results for yourself.

• 13. Re: Best setting Premier Pro CS3
                                kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Jim i am not concern about youtube anymore...

i was talking about a 5 mins music video and the final output is an AVI or quicktime format

Normally i use "Export to Movie" option, but i learned we can use the the "Media Encoder" to change the settimgs and get a better results, if your read my PMs or earlier posts , you'll know what i am talking about !

Thanks

• 14. Re: Best setting Premier Pro CS3
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

The 'best' setting will be Uncompressed or some other kind of lossless codec such as Lagarith or UT.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 15. Re: Best setting Premier Pro CS3
                                    kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Ok, thanks Jim..

one time i didn't use any compression at all and my file size ended up around 12gb for a 5 mins song, but when i used Microsoft DV AVI , then  the output file size was around 700mb, but when i used 12gb file to creat a DVD by using Encore, then i was fine..

so, i guess i'll try the Lagarith Codec and see how its gonna be . thanks