Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Evaluation RH8, problem with links to files on network

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We are evaluating RH8, and I am trying to build to AIR with Robohelp and all my links pointing to either Word or PDF files on network drives won't work when I create the AIR standalone, I click them and nothing happens. If I compile them in HTML or Winhelp, the links are working.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong ? or does the AIR output won't support links to files on network shares ?

I've spent quite some hours trying to figure it out on my own, but I'm really not used with RH8, even though I'm quite fluent in many other Adobe programs such as Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris

I just tried this with a PDF on a network drive and it worked OK.

I created the link using Link To > File and then browsing to the PDF. I was prompted about importing it and declined. The link works fine in Preview and after installing it.

I did notice the link specifies the drive letter rather than the server name. I wonder if you are testing on a machine other than where you created the help and maybe the drive letter is different.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2009 Oct 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the info, I will try again, but no my links are server based and not with mapped drive letters (that wouldn't work for what we need). I will do more testing and see if I missed something, and I will concentrate on PDF files as I mostly tried with .doc files until now.

Thanks for your answer,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK I've tried again with limited success. Links to \\Server_Name\Share_Name won't work (at least for me). Links to mapped network drives as you suggested, work differently, meaning at least I get an error message (Error #2044: Unhandled error:. text=PDFError). In this thread (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/110019) I see reinstalling the Adobe Reader might do the trick, so it's what I will do next.

The main links to documents will be on a sharepoint server, so they will be http:// links and it should work just fine.

Thanks for your help,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp