5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 11:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Creating a movie from stills

aliudfghsldafighlksdjfgh

I'm wondering how to create a movie from a set of several hundred still images that I've just rendered. Each frame needs to last 1/25th of a second (25FPS). Currently premiere seems to be setting each frame to around 5 seconds and I can't see any facility to (batch) adjust how long each frame lasts.

• 1. Re: Creating a movie from stills
          A.T. Romano Level 7

What version of Premiere Elements are you using?

With the new version 8, you can change the duration of all stills already on the Timeline all at one time as well as apply the default transition to all the stills on the Timeline all at one time. In earlier versions, once the stills are on the Timeline, it is one at a time changing the duration of the still and application of the default transition. More information on that if you tell me that you are using Premiere Elements 8.

In the earlier versions (like 4 and 7), you could change the still image duration for all your stills BEFORE THEY WERE BROUGHT INTO the Media Panel. See Edit Menu/Preferences/General and its Still Image Duration set location whose units are frames (so in a 25 frames/second system, 1 frame = 0.04 seconds...the frame value allowable range is 1 to 1000000 frames.)

ATR

• 2. Re: Creating a movie from stills
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can also use Create Slideshow to take the photos that are in your Project media panel and turn them into an animation (assuming they're already in the right order).

To do this, select all of the photos in the Project media panel, right-click and select Create Slideshow.

In the Slideshow option screen, set the duration for each photo to 1 frame.

• 3. Re: Creating a movie from stills
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

True.

However, I started with the Edit Menu/Preferences/General route for now since the Create Slideshow route:

a. puts the stills on the Timeline in a video like format (that is, grouped), no longer single stills

b. allows for its use in these "all at one time" procedures for either image duration or default transition and not both.

I was saving all that for another time if necessary.

ATR

• 4. Re: Creating a movie from stills
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's teamwork, Tony!

• 5. Re: Creating a movie from stills
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One comment on that Duration: since human "persistence of vision" * is ~ 1/30th sec., that is kind of short. For most "stop motion" work, I've found that 3 Frames at 29.97 FPS works very well. Now, if you are looking for fluid animation, and the change in images is slight (like a Video @ 25 FPS), you should be OK. If the images change much, you might want to investigate.

If you are Importing these stills into PrE, you will want to resize them, in Photoshop, to very near your Project's Frame Size, before Import. Your quality will be improved over letting PrE do the scaling and the overhead on your system will be cut down. This ARTICLE will give you tips on any resizing, if you need to go that route. If you have created the images to size already, you can disregard that article.

Good luck,

Hunt

* Scientists have pointed out that it is not really "persistence of vision," but it's commonly called that.