9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 4:02 AM by ppk luk

where can i find some real-life flex applications?

ppk luk

Hi,

i am trying to find some real-life flex applications.

previously, there is a list of application in :http://flex.org/showcase/

but, now (after site reconstruction?), the list is gone.

anyone have that list of applications?

or could you please give me some list of flex application??

thank you.

• 1. Re: where can i find some real-life flex applications?
          UbuntuPenguin Level 4

Google "Tour de Flex".

• 2. Re: where can i find some real-life flex applications?
            ppk luk Level 1

Hi,

actually, i want to see some real-life applications...not sample applications...

"Tour de Flex" (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/tourdeflex/) seems consist of

a bunch of UI components, libraries....etc

my boss want to see whether there are large applications or good applications

write in flex...so that we can judge if using flex is really what my company want..

i can find many small sample applications....but i don't know if flex is really

suitable for large applications..... that's why i want to see some large applications...

instead of small samples..

thank you.

• 4. Re: where can i find some real-life flex applications?
              dfghi

If it is good for your application depends only on what are your background and what your large application is about.

I'm quite new with Flex, and we are trying to start our application with Flex 4, so these are my two cents:

• If your application is graphic or video intensive, Flex is good, easy and quick. And I'll recommend it without a doubt.
              • If your application is data intensive, Flex lacks really too many things: presenting the form is easy, collecting data back, validate it and send it back to the server is... well, not so easy. You have to write the code to do everything "by hand". You can try it yourself, write a simple application that takes two dates from a web service, let the user edit them, (*) check the second if after the first, and if everything is ok send it back to the server. See by yourself how much code is written from the (*) onward.
              • If you application is bound to be really big, you will start wondering how to let application data travel across "modules" (or simply parts of the application) easyly. There are many ways, but I have to say, coming from Java, that none of them seemed "clear" to me. Maybe just me not getting it.
              • Depending on what your application will do, you may start thinking how to let google index it and how to link some "pages" of your application from other sites, if you need to. Google is indexing flash contents, but only those provided within the flash itself (so you have to store all the content in your big Flex file for now if you want to be indexed, no content loading on the fly).

The only real application I found is the photoshop one. And that application falls perfectly in my first point.

The only question I have is why I haven't seen yet a part of Adobe or Flex website that is done with Flex?

• 5. Re: where can i find some real-life flex applications?
                oldMster Level 3

Depends on what you call an application - the 'magic bookshelf' on the www.borders.com home page is an impressive, datadriven application, but it is only a small part of the screen.

mark

• 6. Re: where can i find some real-life flex applications?
                  oldMster Level 3

and I recall that www.lovelycharts.com was written in Flex, but I don't see any confirmation of that on the site.

Mark

• 7. Re: where can i find some real-life flex applications?
                    camfieldaj Level 1

Hmmm, horse before the cart. If you want to know if Flex can handle a large, complex process reliably, then yes, it can. But the success or failure of an IT project has more to do with the organization and sophistication of the developers/programmers in that department than the programming language they choose. If you are looking for Flex to do a lot of stuff for you, you're barking up the wrong tree. Flex is a powerful tool, but that's all it is. You have to design the "application" and do the coding. The complexity of a real application has little to do with programming language used to produce that application. There are some very powerful, complex applications written in shell script and Perl. And there are applications that are crap written in C++. The opposite is also true.

• 8. Re: where can i find some real-life flex applications?
                      paul.williams Level 4

There are numerous Flex applications entered for MAX awards each year

across various categories:

http://awards.max.adobe.com/awards/finalists/

Adobe offers a selection of services that have been developed using Flex:

https://acrobat.com/

There are also various links to real Flex projects from this page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flex/

Going with Flex has its advantages and disadvantages, but it has

applications far beyond photos and video.

• 9. Re: where can i find some real-life flex applications?
                        ppk luk Level 1

Hi all,

thank you for your advices...

actually, i am assigned a task to do a preliminary study about whether Flex is a good candidate for revamp my

company's core application (about healthcare -- that serve many patients a year)..

currently, the application is written in powerbuilder, which consist of the following functions (in simplest and in technical term):

1. draw picture and show image (for diagnosis )

2. create report dynamically and print report (PB datawindow)

3. integrate with OS (mainly win32 dll / C library...etc) for third party equipment (e.g. thermo printer, credit card / debit card reader, medical

equipments...etc)

4. integrate with other systems (through HTTP, FTP or web service)

5. barcode generation ....1D, 2D or even QR code..etc

i have created a sample application, with flex builder 3, to evaluate:

1.  draw picture and show image

==> simple line/ dot / polygon, is there any good and common library for drawing?

2. create report dynamically and print report (PB datawindow)

==> use jasperreport (in server side) and jasrereport flash viewer (code modification required to add print and paging function)

to show report and print report.... is there a good reporting solution for flex?

==> dynamic report generation seem difficult...need to build from scratch?

3. integrate with OS (mainly win32 dll / C library...etc) for third party equipment (e.g. thermo printer, credit card / debit card reader...etc)

==> seems impossible with flex due to security issue. require activex or java applet and javascript with externalinterface..

4. integrate with other system (through HTTP, FTP or web service)

==> HTTP OK (with seems no buildin HTTP basic authentication support, require to add header by code)

==> web service  OK (but no buildin ws-security X.509, SAML  supported, [user name token profile support by using 3rd library])

5. barcode generation

==> not test

i haven't test all other functionality yet.... but after playing flex for a while,

i am not confident that i should go ahead with flex for the application revamp...

it seems flex is strong in UI...but weak for other functionality...especially integration with other systems....

anybody have some reference materials / opinion for me that can convince me to invest more effort about evaluation of flex?

thank you.