10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 11:23 AM by rtprtp

Specifications for graphics

rtprtp

Hi Friends,

Here's a simple question: an outside artist is going to create some photoshop graphics for me. What specifications should I give them for supplying me the file if I am working in:

1) HDV Preset

2) STD 4:3 Preset

As always, thanks!

• 1. Re: Specifications for graphics
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

All graphics should be in grayscale or RGB/8 color. Premiere Elements can import most major graphic formats, including AIs, EPSs and native PSDs. The most common formats for photos are PSDs and JPEGs.

For standard DV, no larger than 1000x750 pixels.

For HDV, no larger than 1920x1080 pixels.

For what it's worth, it's right in the first chapter of my Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements book!

• 2. Re: Specifications for graphics
            rtprtp Level 1

Thanks Steve! Where can I buy the book?

• 3. Re: Specifications for graphics
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I've actually got several of them for sale on Amazon and through the Muvipix store.

The one that talks most about graphics is the combined "Muvipix.com Guide to Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements 7" book. (The version 8 book should be available within a month.)

And thank YOU for asking!

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Specifications for graphics
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve has answered your questions, but here is an ARTICLE on resizing your images in PS/PSE. With Actions and Automate>Batch, one can handle a whole folder full of large images in just a few moments, getting them ready for Import into their NLE (Non Linear Editor).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Specifications for graphics
                  rtprtp Level 1

Great Article. THANKS!

• 6. Re: Specifications for graphics
                    rtprtp Level 1

Hunt, quick question. Your article says "one allows the NLE to do this, then they will want to probably process all of their images to 1000x750 (remember, this is for an NTSC 4:3 Project, so you will need to calculate what YOUR Project will require)"

What image size do you recommend for HDV 16:9 editing if you want to some in? Larger than 1920x1080 pixels, or is that big enough?

Thanks for your help?

Stan

• 7. Re: Specifications for graphics
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      What image size do you recommend for HDV 16:9 editing if you want to some in? Larger than 1920x1080 pixels, or is that big enough?

I'm with Steve on this one. HIs guideline is below.

For HDV, no larger than 1920x1080 pixels.

Above quote from Steve Grisetti.

I you need panning on a zoomed out image, you can go just a bit bigger, but large still images can tax one's system very heavily. PrPro can handle images up to 4000 pixels on the largest dimension. I think that PrE has that same limitation. However, many such images can crash even the most robust computer and should be avoided. If I have to pan on a zoomed out image, I will calculate the pixels that I need to move, and resize to exactly that. I do the same for static images in that I resize to the exact dimensions of the Project's Frame Size. I'd rather have to redo the resizing for an image, or two, than have images larger than I really need. I want ALL resizing to be done in PS, in my case.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Specifications for graphics
                        rtprtp Level 1

So one last question, because I want to tax my Alienware Laptop Quad Core as little as possible...

If for HDV, it should be no larger than 1920x1080 pixels, what would be the SMALLEST you recommend for HDV, if I were going to zoom only 10%?

Thanks again!

ST

• 9. Re: Specifications for graphics
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          If for HDV, it should be no larger than 1920x1080 pixels, what would be the SMALLEST you recommend for HDV, if I were going to zoom only 10%?

This will depend on the exact Frame Size of your Preset. If you are editing in 1920 x 1080, I'd stick to that. If you have a 1280 x 720 Project, that would be my choice. For 1440 x 1080, again, I'd choose that.

If I did have to pan on a zoomed out image, I'd make that one (or those) just a bit larger to be exactly what I needed to do the animation.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Specifications for graphics
                            rtprtp Level 1

Extremely helpful, thanks!