3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 1:22 PM by Jim_Simon

Pro CS4 Media Encoder vs Sorenson Squeeze Quality?

jdmoor Level 1

Guys,

When outputting a video to Flash (for this discussion, let's assume Flash V8, medium size.....with the Web as the target audience), does anyone have experience using both PProCS4 Media Encoder and Sorenson Squeeze---being able to comment of the quality of each?   Is CS4 Media Encoder doing as good a job (apples to apples) as Sorenson Squeeze would do?    For general info, they want SD video in 4:3 ratio.

I've want to provide the best quality video I can to a client who is selling web training for a professional methodology.  They are using video to provide additional visual support to their audio segments.

TIA,

jd

• 1. Re: Pro CS4 Media Encoder vs Sorenson Squeeze Quality?
          Dag Norum Level 2

I'm still on CS3, but anyway...

1. Squeeze can use the full power of Sorenson Video 3 Pro and On2 VP6, which means  2 pass VBR. That will come into play when wanting best looking small file-sized videos (and which is something PPro can't do).

2. If I remember right, it was said a thing in the training video called "Internet killed the video star", which was something like this: For best compression, use a SW that is only for that purpose (Squeeze is).

Dag

• 2. Re: Pro CS4 Media Encoder vs Sorenson Squeeze Quality?
            Marty Miller Level 1

I purchased Squeeze after the release of CS4, the Adobe Media Encoder was fine in CS3.  I noticed after installing CS4 that the end product (usually Quicktime, AVI, Mpeg-2 DVD and BluRay for me) was soft and fuzzy.  I dug around various forums and found that many had this issue with the AME in CS4 and saw Sorenson Squeeze highly recommended.  It should be noted that I use a Matrox RT.X2 card with my CS3 and now CS4 environment.  I now export out an uncompressed i-Frame Matrox AVI and bring it into Squeeze and it works great.

I am finding the same issue in a non-Matrox project.  We are doing a spot now that was shot in DVCPRO-HD.  The image is gorgeous in PP, however when I use the AME, the resulting file is soft and dull.

Question to anyone who can help.  In a non-Matrox project, what can I use to get it into Squeeze?  With my Matrox projects, the uncompressed Matrox export bypassed the AME and gave me a clean image to bring into Squeeze.  In my current non-Matrox DVCPRO-HD project I tried uncompressed AVI but it reduced my size to 720x480, and it reduced the quality.  How do I get my footage out of Premiere and into Squeeze without using the AME?

Thanks,

Marty

• 3. Re: Pro CS4 Media Encoder vs Sorenson Squeeze Quality?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              In a non-Matrox project, what can I use to get it into Squeeze?

I use Lagarith for my DI work.