4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 10:11 AM by _screenGem

Unable to see layout in browser

_screenGem Level 1

Hi, I'm new to Flex.  I downloaded the trial and I am working on the first exercise in the video training tutorials.  When I click the "run" button, I am not seeing the application in the browser.   I only see the blue background (default), however, none of the controls layout is displaying.  Could someone please tell me why?  I thought I downloaded everything that I needed in order to build and run Flex apps.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Unable to see layout in browser
          msakrejda Level 4

What does your app look like? Are you adding components to the stage?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unable to see layout in browser
            _screenGem Level 1

Hi msakrejda , thanks for your reply.

I  attached a screenshot of the application in the browser window.  It is blank.  When you say "stage", let me say I'm using Flex Builder 3 (FB3), not Flash.  I've only heard the term "stage" in Flash.  However, I have attached a screenshot of the application (in design mode).  As you will see, yes, there are components on the page.  These components do not display in the browser after I compile the app in FB3.  I don't know why.  Can you tell me?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Unable to see layout in browser
              msakrejda Level 4

Yes, the stage is still there, but I don't think the stage is the problem in your case.

It could be that your initialization code is throwing some sort of error that prevents proper startup. Can you install the debug version of Flash Player to see if you're getting an Error when the app loads (you won't see anything with the release version of Flash Player, even though the app may stop responding)?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Unable to see layout in browser
                _screenGem Level 1

msakrejda, thanks for your detailed response.  I found the problem.  In the mx:application tag, one of the attributes was typed incorrectly.  I fixed this and now the app displays in the browser.  See screenshot attached.

Thanks again for your help.

Noah