38 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2009 6:06 AM by iSleek

Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

iSleek

Hey there!

I'm in a bit of a pickle.. specially since I'm not very goot with AS2...

Here's what I'm trying to do:

http://www.isleekdesign.com/customtravel.swf

It's basically a form with 6 pages that you can scroll through back and forth, in case you missed some information and want to go back to review.

I think the concept is good, but I'm unsure how to actually make it work.

Here's a screenshot of the timeline so you get a feel of how I made it (but you probably already know...):

http://www.isleekdesign.com/timeline.JPG

What I did was create a mask and the form scrolls through.... it goes forward until frame 45, then it goes backwards.

For example, if we are on the page 2 of 6 and hit back, it plays the "backwards" animation and jumps back to frame 1 (of course not playing backwards, but with a "gotoAndStop(1);" command).

The problem is that if I fill up, let's say all the info in the page 1 of 6, and then scroll through.. when I come back to that page, the info is lost.

Here's what the form looks like:

http://www.isleekdesign.com/scene1.JPG

I have named every input text and checkbock accordingly but am unsure how to make the input data actually stick to each field so that the "going back and forth" actually works....

Any ideas as to how to get this done? The next step is to actually send out the form to a php script.. but first things first

My *guess* is that a script has to be added when I hit the "next" button - so that it sticks the field values (what the user typed) into each field, and stays there. This would also help gather info from each page for when it's ready to be sent.

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can help me. I'm willing to upload the .fla is needed.

Regards,

iSleek

• 1. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
          Ron Colmen Level 2

Hello iseek!

In my openion the way you are tring to do is incorrect. Without using a script I could think of two ways.

1. The easiest is to change the form transmission and all the pages in the within the same amoutn of keyframes and

A. move the key frame out of the stage when that page transmission is completed.

or

B. and then use the alpha property to make the current mc 0.

2. If you need to have the transmission as it is then try to make every page a movieclip - place one over the other frame and have the tween in side the mc, overlap every clip at the end (E.g. page 1 to 2 as a single mc, page 2-3 as a single mc, etc...) and

A. move the key frame out of the stage when that page transmission is completed.

or

B. use the alpha property to make  the current mc 0.

• 2. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
            kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

save all the data (into variables) before you exit a page.

for example, create your send loadvars instance when you initialize your app (before you get to the form pages):

var sendLV:LoadVars=new LoadVars();  // initialize so this doesn't get overwritten.  you may even need:

if(!sendLV){

var sendLV:LoadVars=new LoadVars();

}

then before you exit a page, loop through all your textfields and save the input data to sendLV:

sendLV.name=nameTF.text;

sendLV.address=addressTF.text;

etc.

when you enter a form page loop through your textfields again to see if any data has been stored:

if(sendLV.name!=undefined){

nameTF.text=sendLV.name;

}

if(sendLV.address!=undefined){

addressTF.text=sendLV.address;

}

etc

not only will this prevent you from loosing data in flash and frustrating users, but you'll be all set to call your php script with your populated loadvars.

• 3. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
              iSleek Level 1

Hey kglad!

Thanks so much for your response, I feel like you read my mind!!!!!!!!

It works like a charm, I am SOOO happy!!!

I have 3 questions though:

1) When I now play my movie, my fields show (for example) "_level0.form0.email_txt", which means I have to select all, delete, then type the correct e-mail.. I tried putting (example) email_txt="".. seems to work.. i mean, you can see the text above for 2 seconds, then it dissapears. Is there a way to make it not show the text? If not, no big deal

2) Seems like after playing around with the code, I can't "tab" from one field to the other.. meaning: If i'm filling up the name field, when i hit tab it usually would go to the next field.. but now it doesn't. Do you have any idea why? If not, it's no biggie either!

3) Finally... since I have NEVER dealt with checkboxes.. how do I deal with them? What I mean is: all the other fields have text in them, but not the check boxes.. what type of data do they use? how would I call it?

sendLV.name=name_txt.text; // .text tells me I'm getting the text info on that field.. but.. on check boxes?

Again, thanks for all your help man, you are truly awesome!

Best,

iSleek

EDIT: I figured out the first 2 questions, I am now able to tab and no text shows up when i run the app still clueless on the checkbox thing, though

• 4. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

1.  remove the associated variable for each textfield.  you're using the same variable name as instance name.

2.  textfields have a tabIndex property that you can use to assign the tab order of your textfields.

3.  you can use the selected property of your checkbox instance to determine whether it's selected or not.

• 5. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                  iSleek Level 1

hey kglad! thanks again for your help

I understand I should check to see if it's selected or not.. but how?

For example, like you said, for the text fields I would do this:

sendLV.peopletraveling=peopletraveling_txt.text;

then this when I loop back:

if(sendLV.name!=undefined){
                  name_txt.text=sendLV.name;
                  }

This works like a charm.. but how would I do that exact same thing for a check box?

Let's say my check box is called "yes_no_chk":

sendLV.yes_no=yes_no_chk.text; // I guess .text doesn't apply here.. so what would I put?

And when I loop back:

if(sendLV.yes_no!=undefined){
                  yes_no_chk.text=sendLV.yes_no;
                  }

I guess the loop back would have to work without changing anything, no?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

iSleek

• 6. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

before you exit:

sendLV.yes_no_chk=yes_no_chk.selected;

and when you return

yes_no_chk.selected=sendLV.yes_no_chk;

• 7. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                      iSleek Level 1

no luck with that one could it be because my checkbox only has the option to put it as an instance, and not a variable???

here's what i did to create my check boxes:

dragged them from the Components window and removed the "Check Box" default text.. then named each box with its instance.

when i highlight one of these boxes, there's no option to change the variable name.. and I'm not sure how do that same code you gave me, but instead of calling a variable, calling an instance...

help?

• 8. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

click on an empty part of the stage (or off-stage), click on your checkbox and in the properties panel type the instance name:

yes_no_chk

• 9. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                          iSleek Level 1

hey kglad! it was already like that before.. each check box has a different instance name (the one you said to fill up ).. but when I click, then leave the current keyframe, and come back, the "yes_no_chk" isn't checked.. any ideas?

• 10. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

use the trace() function to make sure you have the correct path/instance name.

• 11. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                              iSleek Level 1

hey! After using trace(), I changed the codes to this, respectively:

sendLV.yes_no=_level0.form0.yes_no_chk.selected;

and

_level0.form0.yes_no_chk.selected=sendLV.yes_no;

but still no go

by looking at that, the path for that checkbox is _level0.form0.yes_no_chk, and it's on a layer called Input1, if it  matters..

any ideas?

• 12. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

if your path/name is correct, then you you're not executing

just prior to leaving the page.

if you think you are, what's

trace(_level0.form0.yes_no_chk+" "+_level0.form0.yes_no_chk.selected)

reveal?

• 13. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                  iSleek Level 1

I tried your suggestions and the result for the trace is this:

_level0.form0.yes_no_chk false

Here's what my code looks like on that frame (i removed everything else for testing purposes):

stop();

sendLV.yes_no=_level0.form0.yes_no_chk.selected; //before leaving

trace(_level0.form0.yes_no_chk+" "+_level0.form0.yes_no_chk.selected);

_level0.form0.yes_no_chk.selected=sendLV.yes_no; //when returning

My assumption, from taking a look at the other statements when coming back (they are "if" statements).. is that both lines of code, "before leaving" and "when returning" are overlapping each other.. is this not the case?

I'm really trying all I can from my side.. different things.. but nothing's working I wish I would've studied AS.........

Any ideas?

Thanks kglad!

• 14. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

that code's not executing just prior to exiting the frame.

where is and what is your code that causes the timeline to exit that frame?

• 15. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                      iSleek Level 1

what causes to exit my frame is a button (next).. the code is simply

on(release){

play();

}

The rest of the code for the rest of the fields is in the same frame where the form is, but the code avobe is actually on the button itself, not on a frame..

I tried uploading my .fla but it wouldn't let me, so instead i sent it to you via PM - if you wish to take a look at it

thanks!!!

• 16. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

and that's when you shoud be storing data:

//  attached to the timeline that contains this button:

function storeDataF(){
                                        }

on(release){

storeDataF();

play();

}

• 17. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                          iSleek Level 1

hey kglad, when I put that on my button, it tells me that

function storeDataF(){

must appear within a handler.. FYI, this is not on the timeframe, this is actually on the "next" button..
                                          thanks!

• 18. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

kglad wrote:

and that's when you shoud be storing data:

function storeDataF(){
                                            }

on(release){

storeDataF();

play();

}

• 19. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                              iSleek Level 1

hey kglad! sorry to be such a pain in the ***....

I did just what you said, but maybe the problem is that I might've put everything on the same timeframe?

Before pasting the code, let me explain how I created the form..

In the first frame (which is inside the movieclip "form0"), is included the text fields, check boxes, and next button.

Here's what I see on that keyframe, on the timeline that contains what I described above:

function storeDataF(){

}

next.onRelease=function(){

storeDataF();

play();

}

As you can see, i changed the on(release){ by next.onRelease=function(){, since on(release) can only be applied to buttons, right? So when clicking on the Next button, it plays my movie up to the next keyframe (page 2 of the form), but when going back to the first frame, the checkbox isn't checked

When you are on the second page, and hit the "back" button, it goes to and plays the animation backwards (which is a few keyframes away), then when it reaches what it would look like the first frame to a regular user, it actually goestoandstop keyframe 1, again.

Do i need to add anything to the "Back" button? maybe I'm not getting it and doing things wrong

Thanks for your patience, I really really really really appreciate it!

iSleek

• 20. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

after clicking your next button, what's the following show:

function storeDataF(){

trace(sendLV);

trace(_level0.form0.yes_no_chk)

)

}

storeDataF();

play();

}

• 21. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                                  iSleek Level 1

here's what it traces:

undefined

_level0.form0.yes_no_chk

i'm puzzled.. everything looks like it SHOULD work :S I wonder what I"m doing wrong
                                                  Do i need to change/add anything to the AS that resides on the timeline where the form is?
                                                  Here's what I have on there currently:
                                                  stop();
                                                  var sendLV:LoadVars=new LoadVars();  // initialize so this doesn't get overwritten.  you may even need:
                                                  if(!sendLV){
                                                  }

• 22. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                                    iSleek Level 1

I figured if i trace:

trace(yes_no_chk.selected);

and then check the box and click on next, i get "true" in return.. but if I trace (sendLV.yes_no) I get "undefined".

Also, what's strange is that if I DON'T check the box and hit next, the value of "trace(yes_no_chk.selected);" is "undefined" instead of "false".. weird, eh?

• 23. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

go back to my original post:

for example, create your send loadvars instance when you initialize your app (before you get to the form pages):

if(!sendLV){

}

• 24. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                                        iSleek Level 1

i'm sorry.. I read it over and over and don't get it, I already have what you just posted on my form's timeline (when the app is initialized).. :/ should i change anything?

• 25. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

if sendLV were initialized you wouldn't see undefined in that trace statement.  so, you probably have a path problem.

what's

trace("sendLV "+this);  // place where sendLV is created.

trace("form "+this);  // place this were your form and submit button is located.

paste the results here.

1 person found this helpful
                                                          • 26. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                                            iSleek Level 1

This is that it all traces (including the traces that were already there):

sendLV _level0
                                                            form _level0.form0
                                                            undefined
                                                            true
                                                            form _level0.form0

does this look ok?

• 27. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                                              iSleek Level 1

OH-MY-GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WORKS NOW!!!

Here's how I changed the code, adding the exact path of "sendLV":

function storeDataF(){
                                                                  _level0.sendLV.yesno=yes_no_chk.selected;
                                                                  trace(_level0.sendLV.yesno);
                                                                  trace(yes_no_chk.selected);
                                                              }

storeDataF();
                                                                  play();
                                                              }

yes_no_chk.selected=_level0.sendLV.yesno; //when returning

When tracing both _level0.sendLV.yesno I got the value "true"!!!!! But when I came back, the check wasn't showing. So, I change the code "//when returning" and added _level0 to sendLV.yesno..... and that's all it took!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad we were able to get this working!!!!!!!!!!! I really do hope someone finds this helpful as much as I did

YOU ARE AWESOME! Thanks for all your help and patience!!!!!

Best,

iSleek

• 28. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

everywhere on your form's timeline, use _parent.sendLV instead of sendLV.  for example:

function storeDataF(){
                                                                _parent.sendLV.yes_no=_level0.form0.yes_no_chk.selected;
                                                                }

on(release){

storeDataF();

play();

}

1 person found this helpful
                                                                • 29. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                                                  iSleek Level 1

Thanks again, kglad! Thanks to you the problem has been resolved and the form is working great

I'll send you a link to the full site once it's finished so you can check it out!!

You're the man!

Best,

iSleek

• 30. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                                                    iSleek Level 1

hey kglad.. guess who?

just two quick questions regarding the sending of the info stored inside the variables to a .php through "POST".

Here's what I have on my "submit" button:

on(release){
                                                                        _parent.loadVariables("customtravel.php", "POST");
                                                                        gotoAndPlay(122);
                                                                    }

Here's what I have on my PHP:

<?php
                                                                    $sendTo = "isleek@gmail.com";
                                                                    $subject = "Help Me! Floripa - Custom Travel Form";

$content .= "Name: " . "\n" . $_POST["name"] . "\n" . "\n";
                                                                    $content .= "E-mail: " . "\n" .$_POST["email"] . "\n" . "\n";
                                                                    $content .= "Individual?: " . "\n" .$_POST["individual"] . "\n" . "\n";

mail($sendTo, $subject,  $content);
                                                                    ?>

For some reason, I do get the e-mail, but the variables are blank. I tried a few things both on the send button and on the PHP but the same thing happens.

I'm not sure if I'm actually loading the variables with "_parent.loadVariables" or not... any ideas?

• 31. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                                                      use:

on(release){
                                                                          _parent.sendLV.send("customtravel.php", "POST");
                                                                          gotoAndPlay(122);
                                                                      }

Here's what I have on my PHP:

<?php
                                                                      $sendTo = "isleek@gmail.com";
                                                                      $subject = "Help Me! Floripa - Custom Travel Form";

$content .= "Name: " . "\n" . $_POST["name"] . "\n" . "\n";
                                                                      $content .= "E-mail: " . "\n" .$_POST["email"] . "\n" . "\n";
                                                                      $content .= "Individual?: " . "\n" .$_POST["individual"] . "\n" . "\n";

mail($sendTo, $subject,  $content);
                                                                      ?>

For some reason, I do get the e-mail, but the variables are blank. I tried a few things both on the send button and on the PHP but the same thing happens.

I'm not sure if I'm actually loading the variables with "_parent.loadVariables" or not... any ideas?

• 32. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                                                        iSleek Level 1

hey kglad!

that seems to work, partially.

two things I noticed:

1) when clicking send, a new window opens and points out to "customtravel.php" (the page is blank) - but the e-mail IS sent.

2) when reading the e-mail, i only get the information on the "checkboxes" and not on the "text fields".. :S :S :S any ideas?

thanks!

• 33. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

1.  use sendAndLoad() instead of send() if your php is returning anything.

2.  use the code given above for the non-checkbox stuff.  we solved that problem earlier.  add that code to storeDataF().

• 34. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                                                            iSleek Level 1

hey kglad, I fixed everything (had to include _parent.) and everything sends fine to my e-mail

the only thing is that the e-mail will only send if the code is the following:

on(release){
                                                                                _parent.sendLV.send("customtravel.php", "POST");
                                                                                gotoAndPlay(122);
                                                                            }

Now, as I mentioned before, this opens up a new tab pointing to "customtravel.php".

The problem is that if i put:

on(release){
                                                                                _parent.sendLV.sendAndLoat("customtravel.php", "POST");
                                                                                gotoAndPlay(122);
                                                                            }

Nothing happens.. no e-mail is sent to me. Strange.. I even tried with loadVariables but no-go. The only option I see is "send" but it opens up a new tab

Any ideas?

• 35. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

sendAndLoat wont work but, i assume that's a forum typo.  use:

on(release){
                                                                                  _parent.sendLV.sendAndLoad("customtravel.php", sendLV,"POST");
                                                                                  gotoAndPlay(122);
                                                                              }

// and if you really want to use data returned from your php script, use:

on(release){
                                                                                  _parent.sendLV.sendAndLoad("customtravel.php", _parent.receiveLV,"POST");
                                                                                  gotoAndPlay(122);
                                                                              }

// where receiveLV is defined next to sendLV and on the same timeline use:

receiveLV.onData=function(src){

trace(src);

}

// to process the returned data

• 36. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                                                                iSleek Level 1

Same thing.. :/ If i put anything other than "send", it doesn't do anything...

Quick question:

is there a simple script to check for "undefined" fields and convert them into just a blank space? (this would be easier so that when my client gets the e-mail form, it shows a blank space rather than "undefined"..)

thanks dude!

• 37. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)

:

function replaceF(tf:TextField){

if(tf.text==undefined){

tf.text="";

}

}

• 38. Re: Dynamic form (going back and forth without losing data!)
                                                                                    iSleek Level 1

hey dude! that seems to be working fine for text fields, but how about the unchecked boxes?

also, I still haven't figured out why it keeps on opening "customtravel.php" on a new tab

any suggestions are welcome! thanks