5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 12:41 PM by the_wine_snob

Export Trouble In CS4 Premiere Pro

a2c7

Hello,

At work I use premiere pro cs4.  I'm still learning this software as I'm used to Final Cut Pro on a mac to edit with - I work on windows XP.  I'm working with footage from a Canon HG21, I don't believe it's filmed in HD but as this is a camera obviously intended for home or personal use I can never quite tell if the quality settings are HD or non HD.  I've tried importing my footage in DV and HDV.

When I export to a WMV or AVI in any setting my footage is showing up as a thin line in the middle of the player's screen.  (This is media player as my PC at work doesn't yet have quicktime on it)  This is obviously very frustrating as I'm working with limited memory (ram) and it takes a LONG time to export even the shortest clips.  I did render and export a clip, dropped onto the timeline unedited and it plays perfectly - yet as soon as I start putting in and out points or effects, cuts etc the video exports out as a thin line.  To note : the thin line 'plays' and there is perfect sound.

Can anyone help me?  I'm sure it's a setting I'm missing due to my lack of knowledge on Premiere Pro, but I've got tomorrow lunch time as a deadline.  (Not to mention the issues of crashing on such low ram)

Thanks

• 1. Re: Export Trouble In CS4 Premiere Pro
          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, just to make sure I have things in order, you have Captured the footage from the Canon in PrPro CS4, where it plays and edits fine. It is ONLY when you export to .WMV, that this odd, thin line behavior happens. Is that correct?

What are specs. on your source files? G-Spot will tell you all about them, including whether they are SD, or HD - and it's freeware.

Second, what are your exact Export settings in AME? That will be very important.

I'd attach a screen-cap of both G-Spot with one of the files loaded, and also your AME settings screen. Hint: use the little "camera" icon in the lower-middle of the Toolbar in the forum editing screen.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export Trouble In CS4 Premiere Pro
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            I can never quite tell if the quality settings are HD or non HD.

Find out.  It matters.

• 3. Re: Export Trouble In CS4 Premiere Pro
              a2c7 Level 1

You're correct - it's only when I export that the strange behaviour happens.

Unfortunately, with this being at work, I can't download anything myself, and they certainly won't let me download that freeware.  The frustrating thing is not being able to tell them their camera, piece of pride and joy, is rubbish.  I've got two projects on the go - one set up to be HDV and another set to be DV using the same footage - both export the same way (thin line behaviour) using all the logical variations of settings.  I have another camera, an older sony handycam that works perfectly.  It's just the HG21 that I have real problems using in a professional manner.  It can't be something the camera is doing to the files itself can it?  Like I said, unedited they export perfectly, but edited they go to a line.

I'm at work again soon so the battle will continue.

• 4. Re: Export Trouble In CS4 Premiere Pro
                a2c7 Level 1

I think I've solved the problem.  It was simply my misunderstanding of certain settings.  I've sucessfully exported huge (in screen size), low quality video now so I guess I can change the aspect ratios at the start of a new project and force the footage down to that size.  I hope this is the solution, I just have to find the correct settings!

Thanks for the help.

• 5. Re: Export Trouble In CS4 Premiere Pro
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  It was simply my misunderstanding of certain settings.  I've sucessfully exported huge (in screen size), low quality video now

Good news!

so I guess I can change the aspect ratios at the start of a new project and force the footage down to that size.  I hope this is the solution, I just have to find the correct settings!

I'd strongly suggest that you approach this from a different angle. Set your Sequence Presets to match your source footage in every respect. Then, you can alter your Export settings per your needs. Start with that perfect match and the rest will be a "piece-o-cake."

Good luck,

Hunt