2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 1:21 PM by pcather

Problems with Quality of Raw file when pulled into Photoshop

pcather

I use Photoshop CS3 with ACR plugin version 4.6.0.30 installed.  When I pull my RAW files into it,  I seem to lose a lot of information.  For example I took a picture of my black dog.   I set the camera (Canon 40d) to save the file in both RAW and high res JPG.  When I pull both files directly into photoshop the JPG has more detail information in the highlights and shadows than the RAW file does.  This should be the reverse.  To see if the problem was in the file or in the process of pulling it into photoshop I also pulled it in through Lightroom.  Then I used Zoom Browser (software that came with my camera).  Zoom Browser forced me to convert to a TIFF before importing it to Photoshop.  I'll try attaching a file I made that shows the results of each.

My conclusion is that there is not a problem with the CR2 file, since the CR2 file converted to the TIFF has the most detail, but something is happening when I import it into photoshop.  I just don't know what settings I should be looking at to fix this problem.  Any help would be appreciated.

Here's a link to the example:

http://www.reflections-etc.com/problem_with_RAW.jpg

Thanks

• 1. Re: Problems with Quality of Raw file when pulled into Photoshop
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

pcather wrote:

My conclusion is that there is not a problem with the CR2 file, since the CR2 file converted to the TIFF has the most detail, but something is happening when I import it into photoshop.  I just don't know what settings I should be looking at to fix this problem.  Any help would be appreciated.

Camera Raw 101: ACR has different baseline "Defaults" than the Canon software, therefore you will need to make your own adjustments–and perhaps save out a new ACR Default. Canon's software only has to worry about a small sampling of cameras. Camera Raw supports over 230 cameras' raw files. As a result Canon's software tends to match the in camera JPEG and the camera's LCD by default.

Camera Raw on the other hand is more concerned offering a normalized default rendering of the raw data. Rather than trying to force a certain "look" (generally higher in contrast and more saturated) ACR will show the raw data a bit flatter and less saturated.

Fact is, Camera Raw has a huge number of controls for the express purpose of allowing the user to maintain total control over the rendering of the raw data...what you need to do is learn how to use all the sliders....

• 2. Re: Problems with Quality of Raw file when pulled into Photoshop
            pcather Level 1

Thanks  I've realized my problem was not understanding RAW very well.  The picture is much better after just adjusting the luminance noise.

thanks for your time.