9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 7:19 PM by RotoRouter

Clipping Mask Problem

RotoRouter Level 1

Hey guys,

I have to cut up large files for out-put to wide format printers.

I do this by creating a box as large as the print I want then clip the art into it and then save it for out-put.

I then want to move the box to the next position... but when I release the clipping mask so I can move the mask it unclips every clipping mask in the artwork, most frustrating. See attached

Does anybody have a fix or some thoughts on this.

TIA

Chris

XP SP3 - CS4

• 1. Re: Clipping Mask Problem
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Lock the layers with the nested clipping masks?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Clipping Mask Problem
            Michael Riordan Adobe Community Professional

What about using the new multiple artboards feature? You can create the artboards to the size of the pages you need, and line them up with either no space between or with an overlap (Yes artboards can overlap) if you're going to tile them together once printed. Then simply print the file and each artboard will come out on its own sheet without you having to move or mask anything ever again.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Clipping Mask Problem
              Tom Usrey Level 3

Use a Clipping Mask Layer?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Clipping Mask Problem
                Jesseham Level 4

Wow.  Has this always been the case with nested clipping masks?

I would drill down to the clipping mask that you want released in the layers panel.  Click on the selection column to pluck it out of the stack and with just the one selected, use object -> clipping mask -> release (or option-command-7 on the mac) to release that one alone.  Testing it out here, Illy is having some trouble re-drawing the unclipped group now, so you may have to trick it into drawing it (left and then right with the arrow keys is working for me - a bug nested in a bad UI decision?)

• 5. Re: Clipping Mask Problem
                  RotoRouter Level 1

Hey Michael,

That is a great idea, I will try that.

Cheers,

Chris

• 6. Re: Clipping Mask Problem
                    RotoRouter Level 1

Hey Tom,

How do you use a clipping mask Layer?

Cheers,

Chris

• 7. Re: Clipping Mask Problem
                      Aldo Roldan Level 1

Hey Chris,

Use your group selection tool (white arrow with the plus sign) to just select the masking square or rectangle or whatever shape you are using and delete it.

It will not affect any graphics within that already have other masks.

• 8. Re: Clipping Mask Problem
                        Printer_Rick Level 4

RotoRouter wrote:

I then want to move the box to the next position... but when I release the clipping mask so I can move the mask it unclips every clipping mask in the artwork, most frustrating. See attached

You don't have to release the mask to move it. Just click on the little icon in top left in control bar. You will see a rollover "Edit Clipping path" Once you have just the path selected, you can move it around or resize as much as you want without affecting the contents.

RotoRouter wrote:

How do you use a clipping mask Layer?

Draw the box. In the layer panel click on the layer. In the panel flyout "Make Clipping Mask" The path is now designated as a clipping path for all layer contents. Don't release this if you don't need it, just delete it.

• 9. Re: Clipping Mask Problem
                          RotoRouter Level 1

Hey Rick,

You nailed it again.

Coming from 22 years of Corel Draw it is hard to find the exact controls in Illo.

But that was exactly what I needed.

Cheers,

Chris