10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 1:34 PM by lui1990

Color management question

cut-copy-paste Level 1

this is a two-parter

1- when i set objects with a swatch, then change the swatch, the objects do not change. Is there a way to amke it so the object's color will change with the swatch so I can recolor a number of objects at the same time without having to find and select them?

2- is there a way to recolor entire artwork.. like shift the hue/saturation over a whole document like those basic adjustments in photoshop?

thanks!

• 1. Re: Color management question
          Scott Falkner Level 5

0. ALWAYS tell us the version of Illustrator you are using. We cannot help you if we don’t know what tools you have.

1. You need to use Global Swatches. When you create the Swatch, click Global. Now changes to the swatch change the artwork. You will need to reapply the swatch for this change to affect existing artwork.

2. If you have Illustrator 14 you can use Edit > Edit Colors > Recolor Artwork. Earlier version have a command in Filters that works a little differently. I can’t explore this because I only have 14 here.

• 2. Re: Color management question
            Printer_Rick Level 4

cut-copy-paste wrote:

this is a two-parter

1- when i set objects with a swatch, then change the swatch, the objects do not change. Is there a way to amke it so the object's color will change with the swatch so I can recolor a number of objects at the same time without having to find and select them?

You need to make the swatch a global swatch before you color the objects with it

cut-copy-paste wrote:

2- is there a way to recolor entire artwork.. like shift the hue/saturation over a whole document like those basic adjustments in photoshop?

thanks!

There is Edit: Edit Colors: Adjust Color Balance but I don't use it much

Edit: Edit Colors: Recolor artwork is much better but it is a more vector approach, unlike the commands you see in a raster app like Photoshop

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Color management question
              cut-copy-paste Level 1

sorry i should have mentioned version indeed! cs4 is the one.

your answers are very helpful. thank you!

now just a question as someone clearly not as experienced... do you generally make swatches global? or does it completely depend on the nature of the artwork being produced? I can see benefits and draw backs to both ways.

It might be nice if you could have a non-global swatch and apply changes to already swatched objects optionally, but maybe not worth worrying about.

• 4. Re: Color management question
                Printer_Rick Level 4

You can use non-global swatches, then "Add Used Colors" creates global swatches (usually)

• 5. Re: Color management question
                  Scott Falkner Level 5

I usually use global swatches. The advantage to non-global swatches is that when you select an object you can quickly see the fill or stroke colour applied, since the Color panel shows the colour values used, not the swatch name. Subtle adjustments to an object’s colours are easier and don’t affect other objects. If you’re working on a detailed illustration you might choose to skip using swatches for some elements to keep the Swatches panel streamlines. More swatches = more time finding the one you want.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Color management question
                    cut-copy-paste Level 1

ah k.

now i'm having a different but related issue. i made some swatches in one document.. just in a new folder in the main swatches panel, but they aren't in new document that i create.. how do I get them over there?

• 7. Re: Color management question
                      Scott Falkner Level 5

In the Swatches panel’s flyout menu, go to Open Swatch Library > Other Library and navigate to the file with the swatches. Those swatches will open in a new panel. When you use one of those swatches it will be added to the Swatches panel in the current document.

• 8. Re: Color management question
                        cut-copy-paste Level 1

i don't see the swatches from my other file.. do i have to manually save them?  or do i just select the .ai in question to grab its swatches?  if so.. is there any way to keep the swatches in sync/up to date at all?  this is starting to seem like i should just put on another artboard but i was trying to keep filesize lower for better performance.

• 9. Re: Color management question
                          Doug Katz Level 4

Sorry to be a debbie downer, but honestly, this stuff is so easy to learn from the manual, the online help, a third party book or article, a dozen sites. I say this not to discourage the present dialog but to promise that learning these painfully basic processes would take half the time by other means.

• 10. Re: Color management question
                            lui1990 Level 1

did you ever figure out to sync swatches between different documents?