9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2009 11:38 AM by KaiserBoy

jerky stuttering video playback in preview window

j_larson Level 1

Hello,

I am a new user of Premier Pro (CS4) and I am having trouble using it with AVI movies created on my digital camera.

I am running Windows Vista x64 Ultimate, 4GB of ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS w/256MB video card.

My camera is a Canon Powershot SD770 IS, which I think exports in MJPEG into AVI format, but it was hard to track that information down, so I'm not entirely sure about it.  It records at 30 fps 640 x 480 resolution.

I chose the DV -NTSC video format using Standard 48khz preset.  I also tried numerous other presets.

All of the presets seem incapable of interpreting this type of file correctly.

Thank you for any information

-Julie

• 1. Re: jerky stuttering video playback in preview window
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          movies created on my digital camera.

I recommend one use the right tool for any given job.  Take pictures with a still camera.  Shoot video with a video camera.  Listen to music on a stereo system.  Watch TV on a good set.  When once starts using the wrong tool for the job for the sake of convenience - taking video with a still camera, listening to music or watching video on an iPod - performance is bound to suffer.

• 2. Re: jerky stuttering video playback in preview window
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

With MJPEG, you will want to look into either the Morgan, or the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC. One, or the other, should fix your issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: jerky stuttering video playback in preview window
              j_larson Level 1

I'm not trying to make a major motion picture, for heaven sakes.  I'm just trying to assemble something out of some casual footage.  I'm surprised that a program as expensive as this one can't cut it.  I wound up just using Windows Movie Maker.

Honestly, the snobbery in here...

• 4. Re: jerky stuttering video playback in preview window
                Harm Millaard Level 7

WMM is much more suited to your material. It is about the same as an ordinary voltage meter, like a Fluke multimeter, that is better suited to measure the voltage on a wall outlet, than the much more expensive ECG equipment used by professionals in health care for different prurposes. Use the right tool, as Jim stated.

Honestly, the snobbery in here...

You only show you do not understand the purpose of the program, which is to edit video from a video camera, not a still camera.

• 5. Re: jerky stuttering video playback in preview window
                  Powered by Design Level 4

To many people think that video shot on a Camera is like video shot on a Video Camera.

I wish Adobe would make a button that would analyze the footage and give users the best option for editing.

If they have footage that was shot on a camera it could tell them what codec they need or suggest ways to convert it for a better editing solution.

I like using G-Spot for footage that I don't shoot myself so I know what I got.

Hey Harm ?

Did you ever get enough point to make it to Adobe ?

Im sure you have some good pointers for CS5 before it comes out.

Now that Windows 7 is out its getting close to time to build a new system.

I wonder how much the 6 core Intel chip will cost when it comes out sometime in Q1 or Q2 of 2010 maybe.

From what I have read it will sit in the same LGA 1366 socket as the core i7

Don't know if I can wait for that or afford it.

I think a i7 920 will do for now.

All for now:  Glenn

• 6. Re: jerky stuttering video playback in preview window
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    Did you ever get enough point to make it to Adobe ?

Not yet, so this is a (still) hint to give me points.

Now that Windows 7 is out its getting close to time to build a new system.

I'm currently preparing my system for the move from Vista 64 to Win7 Pro 64. Get all my serial numbers up to date for the new ID my system will have after a fresh install.

I wonder how much the 6 core Intel chip will cost when it comes out sometime in Q1 or Q2 of 2010 maybe.

Usually Intel prices new introductions at around the same price level as previous generations, so my guess would be that the entry level Gulftown will be introduced around the $ 300 mark. The top model may easily be over $ 1K.

From what I have read it will sit in the same LGA 1366 socket as the core i7

That is correct, but you are dependent on the BIOS upgrade for full Gulftown support.

I think a i7 920 will do for now.

I agree.

• 7. Re: jerky stuttering video playback in preview window
                      j_larson Level 1

oooh-kayy..  it's not a bug it's a feature, you're saying.  I see.

Just spend more money ... is your answer...  mm hm

For best results use one of these:  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=110-439&vReviewShow=1&vReviewRand= 2818820

right. okay.  fine.

• 8. Re: jerky stuttering video playback in preview window
                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Read here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406449.html#notes

It applies equally well to CS4.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: jerky stuttering video playback in preview window
                          KaiserBoy Level 1

Gee, here we go again.  Sage-like stuffiness and advice that just slaps down a reasonable question.

I shoot video with everything from an XDCAM to a PD-170 to an EOS 5D MkII to an HFS11 and almost all of the Canon SD digital cameras.  Some of my most prized movies were shot for over a year with my little, tiny Canon SD1000 pocket camera, and now I have wonderful 720p MOV files from my SD780.  Thousands of situations preclude the use of large or medium-sized systems, and many of those same situations lend themselves poorly to even the compact HD camcorders of the day.  To be able to pull a digcam out of one's shirt pocket and shoot 720p video of a situation is a priceless privilege offered by today's technology.  I have even put my 780 on a collapsed monopod for stability and run beside my dog with it, resulting in amazingly steady, clear, colorful, well-focused video memories that I will always treasure, yet for which I would have had to conduct many distracting mechanical procedures to obtain with even my Vixia HF S11 or the like.

I bring this footage home, J Larson, and put it in Premiere Pro CS4 and edit the hell out of it to my fancy.  It works wonderfully, and I compose sequences that entertain my friends and archive my journeys.

To hell with any advice that says you shouldn't use still cams for video.  Stuffy, misleading, worthless commentary such is.

For your MPEG footage, the advice about Morgan or MainConcept is spot-on.  I gave $29 to the latter for their codec and it worked perfectly.  I have edited scores of clips in many timelines with such footage.  Many feel the Morgan codec is fine, too.

For more modern MOV footage from Canon digcams that take 720p, I use a 720p 30fps project and interpret all imported clips (highlight them and right-click to find the Interpret option) as progressive.  These AVCHD files tax one's processor, but it works fine.  It is a far cry more comprehensive and efficient to use than Movie Maker or some of the other basic editing apps.

This software does not discriminate between hardware types used to capture video images, given the availability and compatibility of the codecs applied.  Saying it is not for such clips is close to saying it is unsuitable for editing footage taken by Canadians or people with blue eyes.

These forums would be most wonderful if everyone put their best technical foot forward and NO OTHER FOOT.  If one has no material that benefits a question, why show up?  And that goes from snubs that are off-point to using someone's post to talk about good wine when it doesn't include the original poster.  It is rude and immature.

--------------------------------------------

Now, just to be broad-minded, I will give an opinion about the topic of still cams used for video.  I find the critical area for concern of such overlap to be NOT in the post-production realm, but rather in the ACQUISITION phase -- the actual "filming" phase.  Here is where I will agree with Jim's general drift, but not in any way to give credit to his comment for relevance.

As you know, few of the digcams offer any of the useful features that give video cameras the flexibility to film dynamic (moving) situations.  The two main missing features are in-shot ZOOM and in-shot FOCUS.  As well, some amateur videographers utilize in-shot EXPOSURE SETTING, which is as well missing from the digcams.  If you know this and use the camera within these limitations (as I have thousands of times), then I need say no more.  You know then that it is really difficult to compare video instruments to digcams with movie mode.

I may raise some spit here, but that last statement goes straight up through the Canon EOS 5D Mk II.  It can pass clear, bright, bokeh-drenched images to its sensor, but it takes expensive, elaborate add-on equipment and careful, intelligent manipulation to provide in-shot control of dynamic scenes.  Out of the box, with no add-on equipment for operation and focusing, it is a logistical nightmare (if not a dead-end) to utilize as a video camera.  I bought mine for still photography.

1 person found this helpful