12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2009 2:16 PM by nealeh

Removing unneeded media from media box

kentRda Level 1

In PE7 and PE8, when I load an existing Project, I notice that ALL the media that I have used in ALL previous projects gets loaded into the media box on the right side of my work screen.   With a number of video projects that sum up to a large number of video clips, combined with all the still photos I have used in previous project, the contents of the media box is huge.  This makes me wonder how much memory and other resources is being used to keep track of all that media when, in fact, I may not be using any of that (old) media on the project that I am presently working on, or even on a project that I am about to start.     Is there anyway to keep all that (old) media and clips from loading each and every time I load an existing or a new project?    Thanks for your replies!

Kent

• 1. Re: Removing unneeded media from media box
          the_wine_snob Level 9

By "media box," I am assuming that you are referring to the Organizer Panel. This catalogs all media in its "watch folders." It is a media "organizer," as per its name.

Personally, I use other media organizers, like Adobe Bridge, to do my media management. In my NLE (Non Linear Editor), I use the Project Panel exclusively, as it only shows what is in that Project, and not everything on my computer. This is good for me, as I have tons of media on all computers, and do not want all of it showing in any Panel in my NLE's.

Others will have to give you specific instructions on how to eliminate the references in Organizer (and NOT from your system). It seems that it's something like Delete Thumbnails, but I do not want to start speculating, and tell you something that might delete you media files.

ATR, or Steve Grisetti will be around in a moment, and they both know Organizer far better than I do. Trust their comments.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Removing unneeded media from media box
            kentRda Level 1

Hunt, Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am referring to the Organizer box.   It loads all the thumbnails (stills and video clips) from all previous projects each and every time I open an existing project, or start a new project.    It sure seems as though a huge amount of time and memory is taken up just loading those thumbnails.    It would be nice if one could keep them from loading into every project, unless a person specifically wanted them to load.   Any help in letting me know how to delete them, or keep them from loading into each project would be most appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Kent

• 3. Re: Removing unneeded media from media box
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do about the Organize panel. It will display the last couple of media clips you've added to a Premiere Elements project. Fortunately, it's benign. It doesn't reflect the clips that are in your Media panel for your project -- and it doesn't even correspond to the clips that will appear if you open the full Organizer program!

If it annoys you, though, George on the Muvipix forum has come up with this method for making it go away.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=6336

• 4. Re: Removing unneeded media from media box
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thanks for responding. If I would complete both of your books, I'd know more about Organizer. I just did not want to venture any guesses, and cause a real issue for the OP.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Removing unneeded media from media box
                  kentRda Level 1

Steve, Thanks so much for your response.   You answered my question!   I'll create a Template.   This might also serve as good information for people who have experienced crashes and bog-down delays as all the stuff that is loaded into the Organizer from previous projects really does bog and slow things down.  Thanks again.   It is always a pleasure to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Kent

• 6. Re: Removing unneeded media from media box
                    kentRda Level 1

Steve, Again, thanks for referring me to George on the Muvipix forum.   His suggestions look perfect.     I ran into a snag though as I went to create a Template (as George said he did) and I can not find out where or how to create such a template.    Do I simply create a new project with the desired settings, then Save it As:  "ProjectTemplate" ?   Thanks again for your help.

Kent

• 7. Re: Removing unneeded media from media box
                      nealeh Level 5

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do about the Organize panel. It will display the last couple of media clips you've added to a Premiere Elements project. Fortunately, it's benign. It doesn't reflect the clips that are in your Media panel for your project -- and it doesn't even correspond to the clips that will appear if you open the full Organizer program!

So all files shown in the PRE "Organizer Workspace" can be safely deleted without adverse effects on PRE Projects and without changing anything in PSE7 Organizer?

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Removing unneeded media from media box
                        kentRda Level 1

Neale,

Thank you for your reply.    I followed the suggestion from Steve and George above, to create an 'empty' project which has all the settings one would normally use, as well as an Organizer that has been emptied out.   I then did a Save As and saved it as a Template.    Now, when I start a new project, I start by opening my "Template" project.   Then, when I am done with it, I do another Save As and then rename it with whatever I want to call my actual project.   It works pretty well, but it sure would be nice if Adobe gave one the choice of whether or not they want to bring all the media from previous projects in to a new project or not.

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

Kent

• 9. Re: Removing unneeded media from media box
                          nealeh Level 5

nealeh wrote:

Steve Grisetti wrote:

So all files shown in the PRE "Organizer Workspace" can be safely deleted without adverse effects on PRE Projects and without changing anything in PSE7 Organizer?

I'm so not getting this! Removing a file from the Pre7 organizer also makes it disappear from the PSE7 organizer - not something I want.

I created an empty PRE7 project file showing an empty organizer view, but the moment I load it the organizer fills with all the media items.

Also in the muvipix article:

George Tyndall wrote:

When using PRE7 to edit a project, I noted that 1) its Organizer contained all the media that I had ever used in previous projects

I don't understand this. My PRE7 Organizer shows ALL my media items, just like the PSE7 Organizer does.

I'm sure I must be missing something obvious but I don't see what.

Help!

--
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Removing unneeded media from media box
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Organizer and the Organize panel are not the same thing.

The Organizer is a full and separate program that launches when you click on the Organize button (under the Organize tab) in version 8 or when you click Tagging in version 7. The Organizer will display all of the media files on your computer, and you can use it to organize, search and manage these files.

The Organize panel is merely a panel under the Organize tab. By default it displays the last items you've added to any Premiere Elements project -- which is kind of arbritray and more than a little confusing, in my opinion.This is the panel that George's fix will help clear out for you.

• 11. Re: Removing unneeded media from media box
                              nealeh Level 5

Steve Grisetti wrote:

The Organizer is a full and separate program that launches when you click on the Organize button (under the Organize tab) in version 8 or when you click Tagging in version 7. The Organizer will display all of the media files on your computer, and you can use it to organize, search and manage these files.

The Organize panel is merely a panel under the Organize tab. By default it displays the last items you've added to any Premiere Elements project -- which is kind of arbritray and more than a little confusing, in my opinion.This is the panel that George's fix will help clear out for you.

I must have somehow or other changed the default view. My organize tab shows everything that my PSE7 organizer shows and, as I noted earlier, deleting from the PRE7 organize tab also removes the item from the PSE7 organizer. Fortunately from within PRE7 it does not prompt for a deletion to the Recycle Bin.

The following image shows both the 'tagging' view and the 'tab' view in PRE7. With the exception of the Meade  "Welcome" clip none of the displayed items have been used in any of my PRE7 projects.

organizer.jpg

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

• 12. Re: Removing unneeded media from media box
                                nealeh Level 5

nealeh wrote:

Steve Grisetti wrote:

I must have somehow or other changed the default view. My organize tab shows everything that my PSE7 organizer shows and, as I noted earlier, deleting from the PRE7 organize tab also removes the item from the PSE7 organizer. Fortunately from within PRE7 it does not prompt for a deletion to the Recycle Bin.

I'm beginning to think that there is a different version of PRE in Europe. I can find no way of emptying media in the opening display of the organizer tab. I can only 'empty' it by self referencing the project in the Filter drop-down.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale