3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2009 5:54 PM by JETalmage

How do I record actions such as select?

RickyWh1 Level 1

Hi

I was having trouble recording a Live Trace that I performed on a series of images, however I got around that hurdle by creating a custom Live Trace profile, then setting it as the default and using the menu command Object -> Live Trace -> Make option and that recorded it. I was happy

I encounter another hurdle here.  I have 30 images that I want to remove the background from.  I if I trace my original imported bitmap (from the first one), then expand, then I'll be able to select the background and press delete to clear it away.  However, recording myself doing so only records the clear operation, it doesn't record me making the selection and so the recording is useless in my case.

Normally when I make the selection to select my background, I draw a small little box in the upper left hand corner that reaches just inside my graphic a tad and let go, it makes a perfect background selection everytime and I tested it on the other 29 images so it should work well if only I could record it somehow.

Any suggestions, much apprecated

Ricky

• 1. Re: How do I record actions such as select?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No, you cannot do that. Selections are always user-interactive. Even scripts can't select anything unless it has a unique name/ comment, so this is nothing you can find a workaround for, either.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I record actions such as select?
            RickyWh1 Level 1

Alright thanks for the information.

I also have adobe photoshop cs4 installed along with of course bridge. You wouldn't happen to know if either of them can do this for all 30 of my images backgrounds would ya?

like recording or batch or something

Ricky

• 3. Re: How do I record actions such as select?
              JETalmage Level 6
              Even scripts can't select anything unless it has a unique name/ comment

Actually, that's not true. Scripts can be written to select objects on the basis of a plethora of criteria or logic; but not on something as nebulous as what the user thinks of as "the background". You have to have some unambiguous and repeatable criteria. (Which I'm sure is what Mylenium was trying to say.) The script can't read your mind.

For example, Ricky, you said:

I draw a small little box in the upper left hand corner that reaches just inside my graphic a tad and let go, it makes a perfect background selection everytime

Assuming that by "draw a small little box" you mean you use the white pointer to drag a small rectangular selection marqee, and if this does, in fact, reliably make what you consider a "perfect selection" everytime, that certainly could be scripted. The script would:

1. Cycle through the paths in the expanded trace group, testing each for an anchorpoint located at the upper left corner location of the group.
              2. Whenever it finds one, select that anchorPoint's parent path.
              3. Delete it.

But I have serous doubts as to the reliability of such a routine for any given set of scans, unless there is some controlled consistency across the scans that ensures the path you call "the background" is always the one with an anchorpoint at the upper left corner; or unless you can ensure some other consistency that is reliable for detecting a "background" (for example, if the "background" is always the same color).

Practicality would also be a question. You say you have only 30 images you need to do this with. You also say you already tested the corner selection scheme on 29 of them. If you went through all that, why didn't you just perform the deletion step while you were at it?

Actions can make selections via the Select Object and Insert Select Path steps, and via Insert Menu Item followed by any of the Select commands. Yoiu could, in fact, add a Note in the Attributes palette to label something "the background" and the Select Object step could then use that attribute to select it. But, of course, if you have to do that to name each of your 30 objects, you might as well do whatever you want done with them as you select them.

...if only I could record it somehow.

If, for example, you could be confident that all the trace results will have the same colored "background," an Action could start with a path on the page or on the clipboard that has a fill of that color. For each file to be batch processed, the Action could:

1. Open.
              2. Paste.
              3. Select>SameFill.
              4. Clear.

So it all depends on the specifics of your situation, and what exactly it is you consider to be "the background," --details which you have not provided adequately for anyone to really know whether your process can be automated or not.

Just in case, though: If by "background" you mean white, you can simply turn on the Ignore White checkbox in the LiveTrace options and your problem is solved.

JET