2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 8:35 AM by John Alsh

GLSL, HLSL, or Cg shader support in Director?

John Alsh

Subject pretty much sums it up.  Assuming I query Director to determine opengl or directx, is it possible to use modern programmable graphics shaders in Director?  I see the section on shaders, but I assume these are just prebuilt ones?  Some of the faqs on the web for 11.5 seem to imply some sort of way to use shaders in Director, but I can't find anything in the docs.

This seems to be a big feature difference between director and say unity 3d.  Thanks for any info.

-John

• 1. Re: GLSL, HLSL, or Cg shader support in Director?
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional
          is it possible to use modern programmable graphics shaders in Director?

No.

The user community has been pushing for this sort of support for a number of years now. Adobe needs to deliver it in D12, in working order, and shortly, or the remaining 3D developers who haven't already will jump ship to Unity.

• 2. Re: GLSL, HLSL, or Cg shader support in Director?
            John Alsh Level 1

Thanks.

What type of shader stuff can you do in Director?

Normal map / spec map?  Cubic reflections?  Cell shading?

If it contains "typical" shader stuff, the product may be good enough to use until the next version which I would hope would address a lot of this.  It seems like Adobe has a product here that could be very cool if they made it current.  Look at all the current work on the web to get 3d going....   webGL, Googles O3d, Unity, Blender, etc.  What is missing from all these technologies is a professional tool chain.  Or is Adobe's roadmap to use Flash and integrate 3d into it.  Not papervision...

-John