10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2009 11:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8 Editor closes after clicking OK on "Full Content" message

hexadecimaljunk

I downloaded the 30 day trial of Adobe's Premiere Elements 8 and installed it on a Dell Optiplex GX620.  It installed and opens certain modules fine (like the Organizer, for example).  However, when starting a New Video Project (File -> New) or by clicking on New Project, it loads the module and then I receive a prompt asking to install the Full Content from the DVD/Setup.exe.  If you click OK, it closes the Editor. I ended up downloading the Full Content, and installed it as well on the same computer.  I tried it again and it failed like before.

Note: I installed PE8 on a different machine (Dell Latitude D600) and the PE8 Editor is launching.  I even received the same "Full Content" message, but after I clicked OK, the Editor stayed open and I could continue to use it.

So, it seems to be isolated to just that Dell Optiplex GX620.  I tried searching around the user forums for troubleshooting tips and I tried some (http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshopelements-6-7-faq.htm#Delete_the_Edi tors_preferences; http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/8.0/Win/Using/WS96256bd4ae515969-97 c9190120d9c53f61-7fe8.html; http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406662.html; etc.), however I couldn't fix the issue.

Any assistance would be great.

Thank you.

P.S. - I unfortunately posted this discussion previously on the Photoshop Elements 8 forum, so hopefully someone can delete that.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Editor closes after clicking OK on "Full Content" message
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The first thing I'd recommend doing is going to the Dell site and looking up your computer model number. Dell is very good about posting updates for drivers and firmware to their site, and you should install all of these updates.

You should also go to Windows Update and manually download all (even the non-critical) updates. Then go to Apple's site and ensure you have the latest Quicktime.

If you're still have problems, it could be an indication of lack of hardware resources (too little RAM or not enough free, defragmented space on your C drive) or a faulty program install.

But try your updates first. They'll solve a lot more problems than you'd think!

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Editor closes after clicking OK on "Full Content" message
            hexadecimaljunk Level 1

Thank you, Steve.  I already tried updating the Dell drivers (Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio, Intel 945G Graphics Controller, and Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility) to their latest version.  I have also updated Windows XP (SP3 btw), and installed the latest QuickTime.

I didn't mention that, so I apologize for that.

I will do a scandisk at boot and disk defragmentation afterwards to see if that might help since I didn't do that.

Any other suggestions?

I think this machine has other conflicting software which is probably the cause of why this is happening.  Currently it has Macromedia Flash, Adobe Flash player, ArtistScope's CopySafe Web, AIM, SnagIT, and others.  If you could suggest potential 3rd party installations that could be conflicting with this, that would be great.

I am checking the Event Viewer to see if any disk spacing issues have occurred.

Thank you for your time.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Editor closes after clicking OK on "Full Content" message
              hexadecimaljunk Level 1

Well, I figured it out.

It seems that the problem was QuickTime 7.6.4 (7.64.17.73) .  After uninstalling it, and then launching Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, the process started with 1) Adobe Premiere Elements.exe 2) PhotoshopServer.exe 3) FNPLicensingService.exe, and then this triggered the "Premiere Software Setup" box.  After that, the New Project/Video Editor loaded for me.

Once I reinstalled QuickTime 7.6.4, it crashed again.

However...I did the same thing to the Latitude D600, and even with QuickTime 7.6.4 installed, it worked.  So, it seems it is that Optiplex GX620.  Could be a hardware/driver issue since that's what I am drilling down to.

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.

Thank you

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Editor closes after clicking OK on "Full Content" message
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Apple's QT Player 7.6.3 & 7.6.4 have been causing a lot of problems with Adobe programs. Many have gone back to 7.5.5 (version that I use with all Adobe programs and no issues). The same happened with the ill-fated 7.4.x series, and most had to roll-back to 7.3.5.

Apple used to have an archive of older versions on their site. Some have reported that they could not find this. Last time that I looked, it had moved, and needed a bit of navigation, but was still available. I also have older versions on various installation discs, for Adobe, SmartSound, etc., so I have not had to search for older versions lately.

I'm sticking with 7.5.5 until I hear of a new version that does not break Adobe programs.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Editor closes after clicking OK on "Full Content" message
                  hexadecimaljunk Level 1

I will search on www.oldapps.com for this.

Here's the link for QuickTime 7.5.5 (http://download.oldapps.com/Quicktime/quicktimeplayer755.exe)

Thank you for the assistance.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Editor closes after clicking OK on "Full Content" message
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Just a few hours ago, a user on the PrPro forum had a similar issue with the full Production Studio suite. QT 7.3.5 helped them get every program playing perfectly! They also had 7.6.4. I did suggest that they try 7.5.5 and if they cannot find it, will share your link.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Editor closes after clicking OK on "Full Content" message
                      rbhirko

I have been trying for a week to get this to work, have been having exactly the same problem.

The answer was QuickTime.  I changed version down to 7.3.1 which I got on www.oldapps.com and I am finally able to use Premiere Elements 8.

Thanks for the great tip!

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Editor closes after clicking OK on "Full Content" message
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        The answer was QuickTime.  I changed version down to 7.3.1 which I got on www.oldapps.com and I am finally able to use Premiere Elements 8.

Glad that you got it sorted out.

It now seems that Apple has had two recent series of QT upgrades, that just kill certain Adobe applications, the 7.4.x and the 7.6.x. Not sure what the deal is, or why the QT upgrades are not tested with Adobe products, but it seems that both NLE's, PrPro and PrE, plus AfterEffects can be adversely affected. Some have put forth a conspiricy theory that Apple wants to kill use of PrPro on the Mac, so Mac-users will go with some form of Final Cut. However, this does not play with me, as AfterEffects seems to be affected and there is just no competition (from Apple, or others) to replace it. It is used on many, many Mac machines. I think that Apple is trying to improve QT, and is just not testing their updates on machines with enough software, especially from Adobe.

Still, with the ability to roll-back QT, the user does have a workaround. Personally, I hold off upgrading QT, until enough Adobe-users report that all is stable.

Good luck to all,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Editor closes after clicking OK on "Full Content" message
                          nealeh Level 5

Note though that recent versions of iTunes require QT 7.4 as a minimum.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Editor closes after clicking OK on "Full Content" message
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Note though that recent versions of iTunes require QT 7.4 as a minimum.

Possibly one reason that so many get hit with QT updates. I have been hesitant to allow updating of either iTunes, or QT. Apple likes to push both updates as the default, when one does not have the latest iTunes.

Until things sort out and newer releases of QT prove as stable as 7.5.5 has for me, I will just live with the older versions.

Thanks for the tip!

Hunt