7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2009 8:27 AM by the_wine_snob

Motion jittery in PE8

makiru Level 1

It's been a while since I've been here, but again, I'm sure you guys have the answer to my problem. I am now using PE8. I previously used PE7 and was able to burn my project to a blu-ray disc only after exporting as an AVI. My project was in HDR. PE8 would now appear to allow me to burn to blu-ray with all the chapter markers and titles still in place, straight from the timeline. Really good. However, my first effort, when played back on a PS3, is jittery when I'm panning the camcorder. I know that you should pan slowly, but this was never an issue with PE7 as I burned the same movie without jitter. I understood this was due to the fact that the camcoder is 1080i, not P. From a previous question on a similar subject, it was necessary to reverse field order to make my HD file run smoother. I was wondering if this is now NOT necessary with PE8. I use an oldish Sony HDR-HC1 camcorder which still uses tape.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Motion jittery in PE8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you say "HDR" I think you mean HDV, right? That Sony is a tape-based HDV camcorder -- an excellent choice, by the way, for working with Premiere Elements.

Can you confirm that you used Premiere Elements to capture this video over a FireWire connection?

In all, I'd suspect that everything is about as good as it's going to get. I don't know how bad your jitteriness is -- but it may be a challenge of the PS3, which has some limitations as a BluRay player.

Is it bad enough that you want to try to troubleshoot it, or is it just a mild annoyance you can live with?

• 2. Re: Motion jittery in PE8
            makiru Level 1

Hi Steve, yep, sorry, I do mean HDV. In fact I used HDVSplit to capture the video, but it was done over a firewire and stored on the HDD. It was the same file that I used in PE7, which didn't seem to suffer from 'jitteryness'. Previous stuff I had done and played back on the PS3 was very smooth, this is why it is quite noticable now. I would like to troubleshoot, but I am currently downloading the latest version of Quicktime, ATI Drivers and DirectX, so I'll get back to you as it's already late...but, should reverse filed dominance ONLY be checked in the field options drop down menu, or do I have to highlight always deinterlace, or interlace consecutive frames or none or a combination of these as well...

• 3. Re: Motion jittery in PE8
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

One quick question: what brand of blank BD are you using?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Motion jittery in PE8
                makiru Level 1

Hello Hunt, I'm using a Verbatim 25GB BD-RE because I was just testing to see if it would work. I made another attempt to burn the project yesterday evening and I left it to run overnight. When I got up this morning I had the PE traditional 'transcoding error' and it stopped at 96% before it got to the burning step. This was after I had installed the latest Quicktime, ATI drivers for my graphics card (an ATI Radeon HD 3800 series) and the latest DirectX. Seems, just like PE7, I will have to export the file as an AVI and then add the titles after. Really, I wonder which iteration of PE they'll actually get it right...anyway, I'll carry on trying, but if you guys have any ideas, it'll stop the whole thing becoming more trying LOL...

• 5. Re: Motion jittery in PE8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm using a Verbatim 25GB BD-RE

It does not get any better than Verbatim, so scratch one theory.

When I got up this morning I had the PE traditional 'transcoding error' and it stopped at 96% before it got to the burning step.

When something like this occurs, the first thing that I would check would be the amount of defragmented free-space on the HDD. Remember, PrE will need a lot more space for the working files, than just the size of the end result - a lot more space.

I had installed the latest Quicktime,

Just a comment here. The two most recent versions of QT Player, 7.6.3 & 7.6.4 have been causing problems for many Adobe users. Many have found that rolling back QT Player to 7.5.5 has solved many of their issues. I do not know if this would be the case in your instance, but you might wish to explore it. Those 7.6.x versions seem to be similar to the 7.4.x versions, that killed all things Adobe. 7.5.5 was the last known stable version with all things Adobe, and is the version that I have on all machines. Not sure why Apple does not test with Adobe programs, but they seem to ignore what their new releases do to Adobe apps. Just a thought.

Good luck, and I'll keep thinking,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Motion jittery in PE8
                    makiru Level 1

Hello Hunt, with regard the defragmented space, I have approx 350GB available and it is only for PE8, I shouldn't think there is a problem there. I'll see if I have an older version of Quicktime somewhere on my computer. However, interestingly I have done a few tests with regard the jittery motion I was experiencing. I used to only check the 'Reverse Field Dominance' in the Field Options drop down menu, with Processing Options as 'None'. However, this time I chose 'Always Deinterlace' and this seems to have done the trick. I will however test on another project becuase when I ran the project, the area around the people that were moving was a bit blocky, but this could have been my LCD TV as it has a tendancy to do that. Regarding the 'Transcoding Error', I believe this was due to the titles that I put at the beginning of the project, and the rolling script that I put at the end. The reason being is that if I clear all the titles and the rolling credits  and then put a new set in and then render them, I can at least burn one blu-ray disc. Which brings me on to rendering. Another problem that I have is, when I render all the titles and credits, the line in the timeline goes green, if I then close PE8 and then open it later, the titles and credits that I previously rendered and had the green line in the timeline, they all turn red again and then I have to render them again. Of course, each time I render I do at leats two saves, but is till doesn't want to save the rendered file (although the edited film in the timeline always stays green). I'm not sure if I should do anything in the Field Options for Titles and Rolling Credits. Oh, and PE8 crashes about two or three times per session. Something similar to PE7, but with PE8 you don't seem to lose so much each time it crashes. PE7 was a pig for that.

I'll keep plugging away with PE8, and if you'd keep thinking on my behalf that would be great.

• 7. Re: Motion jittery in PE8
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

with regard the defragmented space, I have approx 350GB available and it is only for PE8, I shouldn't think there is a problem there.

Nor can I. That is more than enough for any BD Project. One theory down.

I'll see if I have an older version of Quicktime somewhere on my computer.

This is based on reading of so very many problems with the 7.6.x series and Adobe programs. For your exact problem, I rather doubt that the version of QT will have any effect. Now, if one is experiencing other problems, the version of QT should definitely be looked into.

I used to only check the 'Reverse Field Dominance' in the Field Options drop down menu, with Processing Options as 'None'. However, this time I chose 'Always Deinterlace' and this seems to have done the trick. I will however test on another project becuase when I ran the project, the area around the people that were moving was a bit blocky, but this could have been my LCD TV as it has a tendancy to do that.

Glad that this method has yielded decent results. I hope that your additional tests show promise.

Another problem that I have is, when I render all the titles and credits, the line in the timeline goes green, if I then close PE8 and then open it later, the titles and credits that I previously rendered and had the green line in the timeline, they all turn red again and then I have to render them again. Of course, each time I render I do at leats two saves, but is till doesn't want to save the rendered file (although the edited film in the timeline always stays green).

I've now seen several articles on the loss of Render files, and in at least one other, Titles were involved. Not sure what's going on here. Someone suggested that the version of QT might be linked, because one common element was that several of the users had QT Player 7.6.3, or 7.6.4. I'm not sure, but this might be something to look into.

One thought on the Titles would be to try them with Keyframe animations, reather than the Rolling Presets. There might be zero difference, but again there might. This would be done with the Effect>Motion>Position. In PrPro, this is how I do all Rolls and Crawls. There, I use either Ease-Out/Ease-In, or Continuous Bezier for the Keyframes. This morning, I cannot remember if there are limitations on these attributes with PrE's Motion>Position Keyframes. [One's memory is a terrible thing to loose!]

Good luck with your tests, and please keep us updated, especially if the version of QT Player does have anything to do with your problems.

Hunt