10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2009 7:42 AM by Jim_Simon

scale to fit not working in Ppro cs3

biboli

I have an issue with scale to fit of export settings in Premier Pro CS3. I need to eliminate the black bars on the side of clips. I check the scale to fit of the output box but it will not do the job. I have to manually play around with pixels numbers in order to get rid of the black bars. Is this normal or am I missing something?

• 1. Re: scale to fit not working in Ppro cs3
          Harm Millaard Level 7

This is normal when the sequence settings do not match the original footage. This is commonly called OE. The error can be unsuitable material, wrong settings, wrong ingest, wrong sequence settings, etcetera. Hard to tell with the details supplied.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: scale to fit not working in Ppro cs3
            biboli Level 1

thank you for your reply. i used the exact same settings fro the output as the source. the source is 720x480 mov. clip and i used the exact settings for the output. now when i reduced the output to 660x480 the balck strips were gone. i am now wondering why the scale to fit does not work and i have yo do it manually

• 3. Re: scale to fit not working in Ppro cs3
              Harm Millaard Level 7

PAR settings? Codec? Sequence settings? Ingest? Camera? OS? Version? Just to name a few questions.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: scale to fit not working in Ppro cs3
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Going back to the start of your Project. There you want your Project Preset to match your source footage 100%, even if you need to do a Desktop (Custom) setting for the Project. Now, all will match.

Scale to Fit is basiclly for when you Import, say a still image, that needs to be resized to match the Project's Frame Size, though I strongly recommend that anyone in this situation use Photoshop to resize to match the Project's Frame Size, but that's just me.

Once you edit your source footage in the proper Project Preset, you can Export to the desired delivery file specs. This is where you change things, not with the Project - it needs to match, or you will have issues.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: scale to fit not working in Ppro cs3
                  biboli Level 1

Thank you for your time and effort.

• 6. Re: scale to fit not working in Ppro cs3
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Hope that it will help you, and please report back, whether it does, or does not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: scale to fit not working in Ppro cs3
                      ScreenRighter

I have a semi-related question. I'm using CS4.  Does scale to fit reduce the image quality? It seems like it does.

I shot P2 HDV footage in the widescreen ratio (shot 24p 720p HVX-200), but my intention was to present a 1.33 image aspect ratio (not to be confused with the HDV pixel aspect ratio) even on the 16x9 displays, in other words pillarboxed.

This output was successful using crop tool in Media Encoder, but on 4x3 TVs, I want to present a fullscreen image. I output with Media Encoder, select 4x3, and I crop the same way, and then I choose "scale to fit". However, this reduces the image quality.

Is there any other way I can take 16x9 1.78 footage and crop it in Premiere Pro, or Encore, or Media Encoder to create a full-quality 4x3 image that is fullscreen on 4x3 TVs?  (Note: I definitely don't want a letterboxed and pillarboxed result on 4x3 TVs, i.e. windowboxed).

I tried opening new Premiere Pro projects with different settings, and tried using "interpret footage" to fool it, but I couldn't hit on the magical combination to create a 4x3 cropped project (or Pan&Scan you might say) in Premiere Pro. Are there some Pan and Scan tools in Premiere Pro that can do this?

I found some help here. It says: "This techniques is called pan & scan. In Adobe Premiere Pro, you can implement either technique by using Motion effect properties such as Position and Scale."  But what the heck would I do? Open a 4x3 standard def project and then import the HDV P2 footage and use position and scale there?  Cropping it in an appropriately opened DVCPROHD project has a 16x9 image area to start with...

Any help?

• 8. Re: scale to fit not working in Ppro cs3
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd probably just add the black bars on the side within the sequence.  There's a pillar boxed preset title you can use under Title>Templates>Mattes.

• 9. Re: scale to fit not working in Ppro cs3
                          ScreenRighter Level 1

Thanks for Titles|Templates|Mattes! I had totally been missing that. (I had a Photoshopped alternative.)

However, I had already solved that problem using crop in Media Encoder.

My real question/problem is how to create a full-frame 4x3 1.33 for display on 4x3 1.33 TVs...

(out of 16x9 1.78 footage project.)

Any ideas?

-Andrew

• 10. Re: scale to fit not working in Ppro cs3
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Drop the edited sequence into a new 4:3 sequence and scale accordingly.