Any ideas on this anybody?
Hmmm… So there is a little quirk to the file view menu.
To view hidden files you have to minimize the window with the "Collapse and show only local or remote" on the far right.
Then the Menu will show up in the upper right hand corner of the collapsed files window. >>View>>Show Hidden files
Now if you expand the view again you should be able to see remote and local files with hidden files visible.
Ah, I see, Adobe is being secretly paid off by Apple to make the Windows version more difficult to use...
^-- SARCASM... lol, don't want to see any OS flaming, hehe
Yeah, I can't figure this one out... it's like the Windows port team just dropped the ball...
How to show hidden local files and hidden server files
using Dreamweaver CS5 in OSX
1. Open Dreamweaver CS5
2. Select the CLASSIC layout from the top of the screen. Red Circles and Arrows are my additions in Preview and your screen will not show them.
3. You will see this box. Click on the lines on the right by the arrow.
4. Select ‘Show Hidden Files’
5. This may need to be repeated for both the local and remote files. Click on the menu above the red circle in the image below, or below the arrow above and change it from Remote to Local.
6. Use the Circled icon to open up another window showing both local and remote files, but be aware the option for opening the above dialogue box will disappear.
Selecting the correct view at the first stage was an important discovery.
Wow, switching to Classic view just for this? Silly I tell ya! Doing so actually crashed Dreamweaver, but upon reloading, I was able to enable hidden files! Thanks a lot for this solution Tim!
Thanks - I'm pleased it's worked on CS4 too. And is also a cross platform solution by the look of it too. I'm running OSX remember.
There are a few other options that will work, Classic view was one.
I think Dreamweaver CS5 must default to one of the ones that didn't display this important set of boxes that are headed 'Files'. So when I'd read the other hints on forums to find the 'FILES' box, and it wasn't there, the frustration increased.
Since I upgraded from Dreamweaver MX, I've been a bit bewildered about how to find the old familiar things I was used to. Finding the appearance options available under the Workspaces menu has been really handy for more reasons than just this hidden files issue.