5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 11:57 AM by Rrobba

Adobe After Effects CS4 trial installation problem, Please Help!

Rrobba

Ok, I downloaded the trail version of Adobe After Effects CS4 onto my PC (Windows XP). When I try to run the setup (by double-clicking it), a window pops up saying 'Adobe setup has encountered a problem and needs to close.' Does anyone know why this is, and how I might be able to fix it? I already tried re-downloading it, and I checked the system requirements. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME BECAUSE I REALLY WANT TO USE THIS! If it will help here are my PC's specs:

Operating System - Windows XP with service pack 3

RAM - 2.0GB

Graphics Card - ATI Radeon HD 4830

Processor - Intel Core 2 Dual 2.2GHz

Monitor Resolution - 1280x1024

Thanks

• 1. Re: Adobe After Effects CS4 trial installation problem, Please Help!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Verify the following:

a) you run as administrator

b) your virus scanner and firewall don't interfere

c) you have enough temporary disk space

d) no other tools are interfering

For b), simply turn those tools off during install. For c), check your user temp directory (C:\Documents and Settings\You\Local Settings\Temp). Clean it out either manually or using tools like CCleaner. Also defragment your drive. For d), you may need to uninstall otehr Adobe software. also monitor your task manager for processes and services that may have a negative impact. A dump of those can easily be generated using HijackThis!, so you can post the list here for verification, if needed. also provide any otehr info that could be important, like e.g. special drivers or user settings.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Adobe After Effects CS4 trial installation problem, Please Help!
            Rrobba Level 1

About your a) suggestion, I don't have the run as administrator option, if I click run as the only user I can pick is 'current user/Ryan' (thats me). About your suggestion c), I have 95.4GB of free disk space, so I doubt its that. About b), I'll try it and tell you if it works. And about d), I'm not really sure what you mean and I don't know what program/process could be affecting it. Thanks for the try, and let me know if you think of something else, and I'll let you know if the firewall thing worked...

• 3. Re: Adobe After Effects CS4 trial installation problem, Please Help!
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

About your a) suggestion, I don't have the run as administrator option, if I click run as the only user I can pick is 'current user/Ryan' (thats me).

That sounds okay. The default on Vista/ W7 is to establish a user with full admin rank, but simply not call it administrator. If you check your users, you will see that the account exists, but is disabled. If your system is "fresh" without you having added anything before, that would also pretty much exclude d). For everything else, please try and let us know.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Adobe After Effects CS4 trial installation problem, Please Help!
                Rrobba Level 1

I turned off my Windows Firewall and my antivirus program (AVG Free). It still didn't work, I dont no why it never works, I've tried many things and nothing so far has worked. By the way do you want to see a picture of the error message? Its a normal message of 'send' or 'dont send' message but if you want I will attach a picture of it.  Anyway let me know if you find anything and by the way I really appreciate the help, thanks Mylenium.

• 5. Re: Adobe After Effects CS4 trial installation problem, Please Help!
                  Rrobba Level 1

Errm...It still doesn't work! Any more ideas? I'm not sure if this will help, but here is the list of all adobe programs I own:

Adobe Photoshop 7.0

Adobe ImageReady 7.0

Adobe Reader 8

Adobe Media Player

Adobe Air

Adobe Shockwave Player 11

Adobe Flash Player 10

Hope this can help! Please post replies if you think of anything else that could help me because I really want to try the trial, and hopefully buy the full product if I like it. Thanks.