5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 3:51 AM by VDOSurfer

Make the background of a video clip transparent

Bearzell2

Hi all,  using Premiere Elements 7 and I have a project where I want to put a video on top of a picture.  The video is a computer generated face with a black background.  I'd like to make the black background transparent.  I tried a few things which somewhat do it (cropping and using blue/green screen built in), but no luck.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Make the background of a video clip transparent
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like a job for the Videomerge effect!

Just right-click on the clip and select Videomerge. You can fine tune the effect by selecting Edit Effects.

Of course, this video should be on the Video 2 track -- with whatever you want to use as its new background on Video 1, right below it.

• 2. Re: Make the background of a video clip transparent
            Bearzell2 Level 1

I tried that.  it takes away some of the black pixels...but the image must not be pure black.  so unfortunatley Video Merge doesn't work on this one (like it has on other video's I've tried!)

• 3. Re: Make the background of a video clip transparent
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Depending on the exact subject matter, one could also use Track Matte Keying to limit the area of the Clip (Video Track 2) and adjust the Opacity.

Steve's method would be the first that I'd look to, because it would be easier, provded that it works for the subject matter.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Make the background of a video clip transparent
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, ideally Videomerge, like Chroma Key, applies transparency to everything that's a certain color. That's why Chroma Key is usually applied to people standing in front of a very bright green screen -- so that you only key out the background and not remove any of the stuff you want to keep.

But if you've got a black background and black in your foreground, you've got a challenge!

You can try applying and shaping a 16-bit garbage matte, but it's going to be a lot of work to apply it and then to use it to follow the action.

In short, if you're going to remove the background in a clip, you should probably think about shooting it with a background that's easy to remove.

• 5. Re: Make the background of a video clip transparent
                  VDOSurfer Level 3

Bearzell2,

As Steve says, the feature is pretty dependent on the content of the video. I have Premiere Elements 8 (and feel good to have it too.. ) I asked my friend to stand in front of the Really Red curtains I have at home and shot his video. Dragged this video to the timeline and I was asked automatically that something in this clip can be edited. Turns out, the background can be removed straightaway.

In this feature, the content looks to be split into foreground and background. And then background can be removed/replaced etc. Try doing what was earlier suggested. Shoot with a distinct background where the lighting and/or the scene behind the object under focus has a distinctly different color.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.