6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2009 12:56 PM by nealeh

.avi file problems

AK49_Skywalker

Hi,

I have an .avi file that was created from VMWare Workstation.  The codec for this is VMnc and it is installed on my computer.

Specifically, the .avi will play back in Windows Media Player v11, however, when I bring it into PEv7 the clip is black.  At one point I have a portion of the video, but it goes away.

I attached the file if you want to play with it.

Can anyone help me?

• 1. Re: .avi file problems
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, having a CODEC properly installed on one's system is just for playback. Editing is totally different than editing. The chances that a CODEC will allow editing are small.

I would look into converting this file to a DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV. I use DigitalMedia Converter, but there are freeware programs, that do a good job too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: .avi file problems
            A.T. Romano Level 7

AK49_Skywalker

I did check out your VMware.avi. And, what I found is probably what you already know and have the codec for.

Codec: VMnc Name: VMware Codec

On my computer, Codec(s) are NOT installed.

1024 x 768 (4:3)

10 frames/second

.avi file extension

Conversion to another format is the answer. But what format and with what converter. Since DV AVI is the native format of the Premiere Elements Timeline, the ideal would be to convert this VMware.avi to DV AVI. Hunt mentions that he uses the Digital Media Converter, but I see nothing in its specifications to suggest that it supports VMware. Since Hunt has used the converter, maybe he can comment on the odds of that converter working for you. I have seen VirtualDub mentioned in regard to converting VMware.avi to DV AVI, but then again I did not see anything in the VirtualDub specifications to suggest that it would work in your situation either.You could go through the list of software suggested by Steve Grisetti in his FAQ for converting a file to DV AVI, but I have no idea what the result will be.

I had not heard of the VMware Workstation until your thread, and I am not sure I completely understand its concept. But, from what little I picked up along the way, I am curious to know if this video is from a virtual machine or a regular session in the workstation?

With that codec, I do not believe the issue is exclusively a Premiere Elements one. Since Hunt's video editor of choice appears to be Premiere Pro, perhaps he might mention any possible advantage of the use of Premiere Pro with your VMware.avi editing.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: .avi file problems
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I have no experience with the VMWare CODEC, or its files.

With every CODEC, that I have thrown at DigitalMedia Converter (DMC), as long as the appropriate CODEC has been installed on the system properly, it has worked fine with them - just have never tried VMWare's CODEC. One thing that might indicate some degree of success would be if WMP can play the VMWare AVI, with just the proper CODEC installed. This is usually a good indicator that DMC can also work with the file. With editing, it is far LESS an indicator that an NLE program can edit the files, however.

As DMC is NOT freeware, I would strongly suggest getting their trial and seeing if it will work with the VMWare CODEC. I think that it is only time-limited, or was some years back. They also have a forum, but I do not know how active it is, or what the level of expertise of the subscribers is. Might be worth posting. Same if VMWare has a forum too.

I just cannot even venture an educated guess.

As for PrPro vs PrE, I have found PrE to be much more lenient regarding CODEC's, than its "big brother." I use PrE for problem files, before taking them to PrPro for my editing. I could be wrong on this one, but would try using PrE first.

Good luck, and please report your tests,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: .avi file problems
                AK49_Skywalker Level 1

ATR,

Responding to:

"I had not heard of the VMware Workstation until your thread, and I am not sure I completely understand its concept. But, from what little I picked up along the way, I am curious to know if this video is from a virtual machine or a regular session in the workstation?"

VMware has a 'Capture Movie' function for use in a virtual machine.  I am trying to make 'How To' training videos for a Process Control System I am working on and thought this 'Capture Movie' might be useful.

I appreciated your comments and am no successful in opening these videos inside PRE.

Thanks for your help.

AK49_Skywalker

• 5. Re: .avi file problems
                  AK49_Skywalker Level 1

Hunt,

I downloaded the trial version of Digital Media Converter and was successful in converting to a DV AVI format compatible with PRE.

I appreciate your insight...thank you.

AK49_Skywalker

• 6. Re: .avi file problems
                    nealeh Level 5

Here is a free solution:

AK49_Skywalker wrote:

I have an .avi file that was created from VMWare Workstation.  The codec for this is VMnc and it is installed on my computer.

For anyone that does not have the codec get it from VMware. Download and run the file VMware-moviedecoder-6.5.3-185404.exe. Note that you should not install earlier versions - they had security weaknesses allowing an avi to run malicious code.

AK49_Skywalker wrote:

Specifically, the .avi will play back in Windows Media Player v11, however, when I bring it into PEv7 the clip is black.  At one point I have a portion of the video, but it goes away.

With the codec installed it can now be read by Virtual Dub or Virtual Dub Portable. Press [F7] (or select File> Save as AVI...) . Moments later your 971KB source file turns into a PRE readable AVI file of 1.28GB. Alternatively Tools> Create palletized AVI... produces a 439MB PRE readable AVI.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children