4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2009 7:05 AM by Naptizzle

reorder color swatches alphabetically and numerically or search?

Naptizzle

I work with interior designers and architects and we often time spec paints used for various projects but often times there is a need to quickly look up a color by name or by color number.... is it possible to "search" for a color in a swatch palette or change the way they are ordered?

• 1. Re: reorder color swatches alphabetically and numerically or search?
          Level 7

There is not a search currently, or a sort.

But you can manually reorder any of the presets in the preset manager.

• 2. Re: reorder color swatches alphabetically and numerically or search?
            photon poet

This isn't quite the same, and you may know this already, but you can search for a colour in most libraries like this:

Open the colour picker

Click 'Color Libraries'

Choose the library from the menu

Type the colour number.

It doesn't work for ANPA or TOYO 94, but in most libraries it does.

Also, you can choose 'Small List' from the Swatches panel menu to see the names of all the swatches. Again, it's not search, but it beats hovering over a swatch and waiting for the tooltip.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: reorder color swatches alphabetically and numerically or search?
              Marijan Tompa [tomaxxi] Level 4

well, I have to say that I like CorelDraw way to search for specific color...

if you Shift+Click on color in color palette it opens search box...

it's nice and simple... it would be great to have it in Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign too...

tomaxxi

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: reorder color swatches alphabetically and numerically or search?
                Naptizzle Level 1

So the answer is basically no... Well I appreciate the answers but doing it manually in the preset manager is just unrealistic. Typing in a number does get you to the first in that digit series (if it's in order) but like you said.. it's only going to be useful for a few of the ones that ship with Photoshop.

What I'm running into, and I'm sure others are too, is that everyone from Ralph Lauren to Martha Stewart has a paint, fabric, or some such thing out now with colors that run into the thousands. As designers we get stuck having to cater to the needs of our clients wishes to use these color palettes. Some paint manufacturers even have palettes that are downloadable from their website. Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, and I even got a rgb spreadsheet from PPG Porter paints that I was able to fiddle with a little bit then do some java script magic and make into a .ase and .aco file. I'll probably send it to Porter PPG and let them toss it up on their website too.

Point is.. everyone is moving closer and closer to having palettes available and we're not just working with good old Pantone anymore. Most of these guys have a scheme like any other; Color Name/Color Number. In most OS folder views you can open a folder and click on "Date", "Type", "Size" to reorder a list. I'm suggesting something similar to that. I'm not much of a programmer so I'm not sure how that would affect the structure of the palette files but it should be small if any. Then for search.. something like the search in Firefox. If i hit ctrl-f in Firefox I get a nice little search box at the bottom. Wouldn't it be great to have one of those on your swatches!?

Color management for palettes is becoming like font management these days. Extensis built a company around it and I think Adobe (and us designers) would benefit from having something like this being built in.