7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2009 8:49 PM by ssprengel

32bit ACR?

Theexbrit

Hi all, I downloaded the ACR 5.5 zip file from this site, but whenever I run the "setup.exe", it keeps telling me that it's for the 64bit version & I have to select "quit". I don't see another setup.exe in the folder so how the heck do I install the 32bit update?

Windows XP sp3

CS3

Thanks.

• 1. Re: 32bit ACR?
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Are you talking about the Camera Raw 5.5 plug-in updater or the DNG Converter 5.5? Cause if you have Photoshop CS3, the ACR 5.5 won't work. The last version of ACR that works with Photoshop CS3 is ACR 4.6.

Now, DNG Converter 5.5 would be useful in that it can convert recent camera raws to DNG that will work with ACR 4.6.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 32bit ACR?
            Theexbrit Level 1

Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

Yeah, I'm talking about the 5.5 updater. So I guess in CS3, there's no way to edit the RAW pics from my 7D without converting them to DNG or buying CS4!

Oh well, DNG for now & CS4 later.

• 3. Re: 32bit ACR?
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You also might try the LR 3 beta which expires April 30, 2010, at which point CS5 will likely be out...and set CS3 as your Edit In Photoshop editor for LR.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/

Adobe's support for the 7D is preliminary in that there is only one camera profile that is beta, not the suite that fully supported cameras have.  I would expect ACR 5.6 / DNGC 5.6 to remedy this.

• 4. Re: 32bit ACR?
                Panoholic Level 2
                I guess in CS3, there's no way to edit the RAW pics from my 7D without converting them to DNG or buying CS4!

The 7D support in the present version is pretty much useless. NOT because of the lack of profiles, but because many 7D cameras exhibit horrendeous banding in the shadows and green channel imbalance with ISO 100 to 400, and ACR can not cope with these. DPP is much better for the 7D at the moment.

Gabor

• 5. Re: 32bit ACR?

ACR deals with green-channel imbalance (which I could think is linked to the banding issue) in some camera models, and a bug-report has been submitted about the 7D needing this a couple weeks ago, so perhaps the next revision will work better.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2009/09/lightroom_25_and_camera_raw_55.html

(first bullet item)

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2307032

There is certainly a heated discussion of such issues on dpreview, and a reasonable way to see if your camera has the imbalance or banding:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=33390521

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=33386810

In test shots from a display model 7D at a local BestBuy, I have not seen any banding nor greenish cast, but I will have to do some more testing with RAWAnalyze to see if it shows any banding due to green-channel imbalance.

• 6. Re: 32bit ACR?
                    Panoholic Level 2
                    ACR deals with green-channel imbalance (which I could think is linked to the banding issue) in some camera models

The different copies of 7D behave very differently; the green imbalance is times small, times large, times none. In some cases the green balance does not cause the "maze" typical to that problem, but a plain banding appears. The camera, or its raw data is plainly crap.

Eliminating the maze effect in the raw conversion by disconnecting the two greens is not a real solution, for it yields an inferior result. I don't know if the banding can be eliminated that way at all.

Independently of the above, there is an error of the 7D raw data interpretation: the clipping points are assumed incorrectly. This causes ACR not to notice the factual clipping in the raw channels with certain ISO steps.

I do understand, that the current support is only preliminary. I suggest everyone to stick to DPP until an acceptable version of ACR appears, but the absolute minimum is to keep the CR2 files. Some are leaning towards converting the native raw in DNG and throwing away the original; this too is an example for why not to do that.

Gabor

• 7. Re: 32bit ACR?

Attached is a comparison of my 450D and a 7D at BestBuy.  The 450D and 7D have the same toning settings in ACR (Exp +4EV, Bk 0, Br +150, Con -50) with only the WB being different.

450D ACR no banding

7D ACR banding

7D DPP banding

ACR6's rendering is more even, while DPPs is clumpier.  Color NR was applied to all images, but no Luminance NR.