8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2009 6:33 AM by PGSPLC

Premiere Pro Freezing or Crashing when playing video with fast motion.

PGSPLC

Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone might have some advice.

I believe Premiere Pro is version CS2 which I realise is old.  Am hoping to upgrade within the next 6 months.  However, for now I would like to try and solve my issue.

The OS is XP Pro.

When I play AVI files (around 5 minutes in length) Premiere will hang when it gets to a point in the video when there is a lot of motion or something complex is happening.  The video files are AVI and are already 'as one' with nothing else in the timeline.  AVI files which do not have fast motion play OK.

The system is at the office so cannot try anything else until Monday.  I am planning to try playing the video files outside of Adobe.  IF they still cause the alternative player to hang then would anyone know what the issue could be?  Corrupt codecs?

Interestingly enough, if (in Adobe) I convert the toublesome video file from AVI to MPG and then play the MPG then it plays fine even at the fast moving parts.

I was thinking corrupt AVI files but if it can be converted without issue then does that not mean the file is OK?  And what is the likelyhood of every file I play (with fast motion) having this issue?

I'm guessing the data rate or frame rate is causing the issue OR hardware issue?  Perhaps the HD is failing and cannot keep up with the data rate?  Long shot probably!  How about RAM but that would exhibit problems at other stages and more randomly.

I should also mention that this issue is new since the past month and I've only tested in Adobe for now.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro Freezing or Crashing when playing video with fast motion.
          Jim_Simon Level 8

My guess is that you're trying to edit a file that was not intended for editing.

Using Premiere, stick to media you shot yourself using standard camera formats - DV, DVCPRO HD, HDV.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro Freezing or Crashing when playing video with fast motion.
            PGSPLC Level 1

I do not see how this can be an issue.  A video file is a video file and Premiere is meant to be a video editor.  Yes some of our clips are from DVD but these are not copy protected DVD's.  We create showreels for clients and its never been an issue.  If the file format is supported then there shouldn't be an issue.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro Freezing or Crashing when playing video with fast motion.
              Jim_Simon Level 8

A video file is a video file and Premiere is meant to be a video editor.

(Oh, boy.  How do I say this?  Hmmm.  I need to try and not be rude about it...)

Premiere Pro is a professional level editor meant for professionals who generally work with standard camera formats.  I strongly recommend becoming a professional - getting a formal education, getting some real world work experience for an established company - before you try using Premiere Pro.

For those who do not wish to go that route, there are plenty of us who have and depend on such folks for our livelihood.  We welcome the work.

For the amateur who just wishes to play around, there are consumer programs better suited.  (Some even free.)

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro Freezing or Crashing when playing video with fast motion.
                PGSPLC Level 1

Hi Jim,

Your assumptions are totally incorrect.  I am very able at using Premiere and After Effects.  I have not given any reason for you to doubt or challenge this.  I was hoping for help with a technical problem and not a lecture of how 'amateur' my editing skills are.  Without any evidence or prior knowledge your assumptions are unfounded and unjust.

Premiere Pro is a very sophisticated and advanced application which can be used by Professionals.  It can also be used by anyone who can afford it, even those who wish to experiment.

I believe this forum to be a medium to assist those in Adobe's products.  Should anyone else have a solution to solve my issue with Premiere hanging or freezing, please let me know

Thank you.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro Freezing or Crashing when playing video with fast motion.
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, work through all of the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of that link

AVI means nothing... I could save a MS Word file as myfile.AVI but that does not mean that Premiere will edit the file

The CODEC inside the file is the key... see the questions at the end of the link I provided, and the utilities to determine the file details

Some files are meant to edit (DV AVI type 2 with 48khz sound) and other files are meant to view only

Follow the steps in the first two lines of this reply, and report back with DETAILS of computer and the files

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro Freezing or Crashing when playing video with fast motion.
                    PGSPLC Level 1

Thank you John.

As I understand, AVI is a container which can be a multitude of differing formats.  I will use 'GSpot' and let you know the codec being used.

I will also try the steps included on that wiki page.  Appreciate your help.

One last thing.  If the codec being used is incorrect or not ideal, could you tell me a supported method of taking video from a DVD and placing it into Premiere for editing?  These DVD's are not copy protected, they are recorded clips from client show reels.  I believe we are currently using a third party application (perhaps ImToo) to rip.  Again, if this is not ideal I would like to try your supported method which may help solve the issue.

Thank you John.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro Freezing or Crashing when playing video with fast motion.
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Google convert vob avi

You need to convert the vob files on the dvd to dv avi type 2 with 48khz sound

Be aware that converting a (highly compressed) view only format to an edit format WILL result in a loss of quality

There are other programs that directly edit MPEG files (that is what a vob is) with better results... I don't use any, but I do have some saved links in the section of my Adobe notes page concerning editing compressed files

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro Freezing or Crashing when playing video with fast motion.
                        PGSPLC Level 1

Hi John,

Just to let you know.  It wasn't anything to do with the codecs or video files themselves.  In fact, my first thought of data transfer rate was right.

One of the HD's was no longer operating in DMA mode.  This HD stored some of the video files in the project and was the sole area for Premiere's scratch disk locations.  I tried removing the controller from device manager but it reinstalled in the same condition.  I therefore tried setting it back to DMA mode manually via the registry.  Took a while to find the right key.  When I restarted all was back to normal.

The only thing we can think caused this was an update to our CD writing software.  In any case, the HD is back to DMA and now all the videos play perfectly once more.

Appreciate all your help.  You've given me a lot of tips and that Wiki page is very useful.

Thank you!