7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2009 7:57 AM by rtprtp

Specs for using a logo

rtprtp Level 1

Hi All,

For my client, I need to get their logo "cut out" (do photoshop people call this a sillouhette?) and use it on top of moving video in my PE7 edit. What instructions do I need to give to my graphics person who's using photoshop, and what should they supply me with?

Thanks, Stan

• 1. Re: Specs for using a logo
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If the logo is being sent to you from Photoshop, you want a Photoshop (PSD) file with the logo on a layer and no background layer.

Also, the logo should be in RGB/8 (24-bit) color and should be 640x480 pixels in size at 72 ppi.

• 2. Re: Specs for using a logo
            the_wine_snob Level 9

When I do logos, I do this as a two-step process in most cases. I will Export a "representative" still frame to use as a guide. I'll Open this in PS. As most logos are done in AI, to allow for resizing, I'll create a New Image in PS to the specs. of my video, say NTSC Wide Screen (16:9) PAR = 1.2 w/ Guides and a Transparent Background. I'll drag my Exported still frame into this New Image (as a guide) and then Place my logo AI onto it. With my still frame showing, I'll size and position my logo as closely, as I can. Once satisfied, I'll delete the still image Layer, and Save_As .PSD for Import into my NLE program.

This does several things: keeps the AI in Vector, until that Save_As, where it is Rasterized to approximately the size that I will want, and with the Background Layer Transparent, I do not have to "knockout" any background. I might still have to do a tiny bit of Effect>Motion>Scale and Effect>Motion>Position, but I try to keep this to an absolute minimum and do as much of that, as I can in PS.

Now, if your logo is NOT and AI (Vector) file, you can do similar, but will probably need to do some "knockout" work to get rid of any background. Selection Tools, such as the Magic Wand can be very useful for this work, though I usually end up using several, depending on exactly what I have.

One other workflow, if the logo is a Continuous Tone image, and not Vector art, would be to take it into Illustrator and use one of the Trace functions to create a Vector art version of it. It would be this Vector image (an AI file), that would then be Placed in PS.

Now, all of this depends heavily on what format the logo is in now, the skill of the PS artist, and maybe also their skills in Illustrator. If I had the logo in Raster form, I'd ask the client to provide it in Vector form (AI format) and use my first workflow, if at all possible.

What form is the logo in now? Can you get it in AI format from the client? Can you post a JPEG of the logo for us to see it, and make specific comments on it? Hint: use the little "camera" icon in the lower-middle of the forum editing screen to attach that JPEG, so that it is readily viewable and does not have to go through queue.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Note that where I use words like Background, and Place, I am referring to specific terms in PS. Background is a special Layer in PS. The word "background" is for that portion of an image that will need to be knocked out. Place is Edit>Place, which is a specific function for bringing in Vector art to PS to maintain it's resizing capabilities until it is finally Rasterized (converted from Vector to a Raster image).

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Added [Edit]

• 3. Re: Specs for using a logo
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This is a complete aside, but possibly worth noting. PrE will Import an AI (Adobe Illustrator Vector image), but that Vector image will have to be Rasterized to work in PrE. Neither PrE, nor PrPro does a good job of this Rasterization. Photoshop, OTOH, does as good a job, as you can get. Use it, and disregard the fact that AI is listed in the "approved formats" section of the Help file. Disregard that completely. It works, just not very well at all.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Specs for using a logo
                rtprtp Level 1

Thanks, Steve and Hunt.

I have forwarded your instructions to the Graphic person supplying me the logo.

I'll let you know how I make out.

ST

• 5. Re: Specs for using a logo
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck with the Project.

Now, if the graphics person has any questions, my e-mail is in my Profile. Just have them put "Adobe Premiere Question" in the Subject line header. This keeps MailWasher from ashcanning the e-mail.

Note: I leave tomorrow for Chicago, and then am on Maui until the first Friday in November. Will be back in PHX after that. I'll be glad to answer any questions, so long as a deadine is not looming before my return.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Specs for using a logo
                    rtprtp Level 1

Steve,

Are these the specs for editing in HDV?

Thanks. Stan

• 7. Re: Specs for using a logo
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Maybe. It depends on how large you want to use the logo. 640x480 will give you a full-frame standard video graphic, or about 1/4 of a frame-size HDV.

If you want to use the logo as a full-frame-sized graphic, use 1920x1080 pixels instead.

The other specs still appy though.