32 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2009 6:54 AM by napeptc

Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7

napeptc

I made a slideshow in photoshop elements 7 edited it, added music, text, and transitions and then tried to export it to premiere elements 7 but can not. It will go over there but it seperates the slideshow and all the text and everything is gone. I dont even have a slideshow anymore. All I have is a list of the pictures and music files on the side. Is there something I can do to fix this? At first the slideshow wouldn't even export I kept getting an error message that PE7 had a problem and needs to close. But now It just breaks apart the slideshow and erases the text that I had put in from PSE7. Someone please help. My wife and I have put a lot of work into this. And we want to be able to add the credits from PE7 and burn to DVD.

• 1. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are a number of ways to export a slideshow for use in Premiere Elements. Can you describe the method you're using?

Also, have you ensured that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, per the FAQs to the right of this forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
            napeptc Level 1

First of all I have made sure that all photos are no larger than 750x1000 and I am trying to export right from photoshop when I am in the slideshow I click output and send to premiere elements I also went to file and selected output from there can you let me know what the problem is

• 3. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
              A.T. Romano Level 7

napeptic

First, has your problem been resolved or not? The reason that I ask is:

a. Answered has been checked at the top of your thread indicating that Steve Grisetti has solved your problem with his suggestions.

b. Your last post does not sound like the problem is solved in spite of photos not exceeding 1000 x 750, thus leaving you with a problematic Photoshop Elements 7 Premiere Elements 7 transfer.

If you are OK at this point please let me know.

If not I have some ideas, but need some more details from you.

a. After you hit "Send to Premiere Elements" in Output of Photoshop Elements 7 and after Premiere Elements 7 launches, are you greated with the New Project dialog in which you set the project preset at NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen or PAL equivalent?

b. After you OK there and the Premiere Elements workspace opens, do you find yourself in the Sceneline or Timeline View? And, if the Sceneline view, how many of the scene spaces in the Filmstrip there are filled? If you are in the Sceneline view and switch to the Timeline view, what do you see on the Timeline view Timeline?

c. When you look over to the right and look under the Project Tab do you see (1) one folder containing all the components of the slideshow (photos, titles, audio files) and in addition (2) a single file which represents the slideshow in video form (non .wmv) grouped version?

Further, is this your first slideshow of its kind or have you done others that worked as expected and successfully?

We can take it from there.

ATR

• 4. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                napeptc Level 1

first of all i checked it by accident i still need help thank you for your response well when i output it to premiere elements 7 first yes i see the screen that i have to name the file and save it for premiere element7 then i do that and now it wont even open up i get an error message that premiere elements has encountered and needs to close before it was at least opening now its not even doing that so now i have another issue please help

• 5. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I would first make sure that your video driver and your audio driver are up to date.

Then, if the program is still crashing, the links in this ARTICLE might be useful. The linked tips are primarily for PrPro, but many of them apply to PrE too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If the program is still crashing, this ARTICLE might give you some tips on finding "clues" as to what is happening, when the program closes. Be sure to follow any/all links you encounter in warning/error messages in Event Viewer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

napeptc

First, when you are in the new project dialog, what are you browsing to for the Save Location. Is it the default location for the Adobe Folder, namely, My Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\7.? If not, set it to that.

In that same new project dialog to the left is a place where it says "Project Settings:" with the setting listed next to those words. What does it say? If it does not say NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen or PAL DV Standard or Widescreen, then click on Change Settings and change it to one or the other, depending on your location.

Can you continue without an error message following the above recommendations?

If not, then we need to explore what you have in the Filmstrip over in the Photoshop Elements 7 Slide Show Editor as well as your computer resources.

a. given photos not exceeding 1000 x 750 pixel, but how many photos

b. titles in every picture

c. which transitions, random or all the same

d. pans & zooms in every photo

3. audio, what format and duration, what is it source iTunes or other

Computer, operating system 32 or 64 bit, defragmented, virtual memory optimized, available RAM and free hard drive space??? Are you using an external hard drive in your setup and is it formatted NTSC or FAT32?

Before I made my suggestions in the prior post, what settings were you using that got you as far as a broken up slideshow in the Premiere Elements 7 workspace.

Do not give up. There will be an answer in all of this. Are you on a time crunch with this project? If so and depending on how things go, we can talk workaround. But, I would prefer to iron out the wrinkles.

ATR

• 8. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                        Barb__O Level 4

Hi everyone,

Before seeing this thread, I had responsed to a thread over in the PS Elements forum that napeptc has posted about problems with what I think is the same slide show.  Reference is

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2339284#512067

in that other thread it is mentioned

--  that a save to WMV file done from within the Photoshop Elements also fails for the slide show

"I have tried to export my slideshow from pse7 to pe7 and it wasn't working so i tried to save the slideshow as a .wmv file and it gets halfway through saving and it encounters a problem and needs to close"

So there is no direct clue to what caused the wmv output problem from PSE either.

However, I am thinking that it may be wise to make a new test slide show in the PSE Slide Show Editor that is smaller (especially if the original is hundreds of photos) and uses some of the same photos and some of the same functions (like pan/zoom and text) as the original slide show.  Then try the test slide show using both the desired Send Slideshow to Premiere Elements and the output to WMV.

That test and ther responses to AT Romano's questions will hopefully suggest probable reasons for the failures.

• 9. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                          napeptc Level 1

yes you are correct this is for the same slideshow i tried to save it after i couldnt export it i have replied to your other post and i have tried a sample and it worked fine i also just tried deleting some of the pan and zoom slides and i got it over to premiere but i get an error message and it closes out still need help

• 10. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                            Barb__O Level 4

Since you still get an error message in Premiere Elements, I suggest that you

1- post the exact text of the recent error message (even if it is still a generic message)

2 - go back to AT Romano's post and reply to those questions point by point

(depending on these answers Hunt's discussion of video and audio drivers may be the next point to investigate - but we will see based on your answers)

FYI - once the Premiere Elements project is successfully open and the slideshow is on the PE Timeline there is a command to Break Apart the slideshow.

• 11. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                              napeptc Level 1

here is the error that i am getting "premiere elements has encountered an error [..\..\src\video\videosegment.cpp-55] this message is from the full slide show in the edited one which i deleted half of the slides i get the error message "sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires adobe premiere elements to shut down"

• 12. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                Barb__O Level 4

First, I would like to clarify whether the PSE 7 Send Slideshow to Premiere Elements 7 workflow has ever worked for you for any slideshow?

Second, unfortunately I doubt that either of those error messages will point us to the specific cause of your problem, therefore I recommend that you answer A T Romano's questions from the prior post. So that my reference is not ambiguous, I am pasting these questions below and I suggest that you paste the questions in to your response and then place your answers within that text:

"

First, when you are in the new project dialog, what are you browsing to for the Save Location. Is it the default location for the Adobe Folder, namely, My Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\7.? If not, set it to that.

In that same new project dialog to the left is a place where it says "Project Settings:" with the setting listed next to those words. What does it say? If it does not say NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen or PAL DV Standard or Widescreen, then click on Change Settings and change it to one or the other, depending on your location.

Can you continue without an error message following the above recommendations?

If not, then we need to explore what you have in the Filmstrip over in the Photoshop Elements 7 Slide Show Editor as well as your computer resources.

a. given photos not exceeding 1000 x 750 pixel, but how many photos

b. titles in every picture

c. which transitions, random or all the same

d. pans & zooms in every photo

3. audio, what format and duration, what is it source iTunes or other

Computer, operating system 32 or 64 bit, defragmented, virtual memory optimized, available RAM and free hard drive space??? Are you using an external hard drive in your setup and is it formatted NTSC or FAT32?

Before I made my suggestions in the prior post, what settings were you using that got you as far as a broken up slideshow in the Premiere Elements 7 workspace.

"

• 13. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

napeptc

I have been away from my computer on business and just returned to check out your responses to my questions. I see that while I was away others have joined in trying to help. In doing that, another part of the puzzle got filled in. One of my next questions was going to be about "Were you able to write your Photoshop Elements 7 Slide Show Editor Slideshow to a .wmv video file?" You did not mention that you had tried that also unsuccessfully.

All this is pushing me to resource issues and/or something in the Photoshop Elements 7 Slide Show Editor slideshow that is the offending element. By the way, when you tried the Save As File Movie .wmv what profile (file size) did you set? Do you know how to monitor computer memory with the Task Manager Performance while Photoshop Elements 7 and/or Premiere Elements 7 is running? If so, please do so in order to get some idea if memory issues are factoring into this equation.

After we have exchanged the previous questions and answers, I would like you to try the following:

a. Highlight 10 photos in the Organizer Window, Click Create, then Slideshow

b. In the Slideshow preferences, place a check mark next to Crop landscape and portrait

c. create your slideshow and output it (1) Save As File Movie .wmv (DVD file size) and see if the .wmv gets written successfully (2) Send to Premiere Elements and see if the slideshow arrives intact on the Timeline and Media Area of Premiere Elements

The above slideshow tests should be done with transitions and text typical of what you have been using and having problems with. Also, please check over your filmstrip and make sure that you have let us know the properties for any photos, videos, audio, transitions, special effects that are there that you may not have mentioned before.

Computer optimization is essentially, focus on available RAM and free hard drive space.

To be continued...I will be on watch for your responses until about midnight (East Coast USA Time) and then back tomorrow.

ATR

• 14. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                    napeptc Level 1

Sorry that I haven't replied directly to you before I am just getting frustrated with this. It took me 2 months to finally get this done and now i am having this problem. I tried to save the file as a .wmv file after my post here because I thought that maybe I could save it and then load it in premiere elements. I tried checking crop landscape and portrait but now the pictures are way too big. well I am finally going over your other post. And no my problem was not fixed after I made sure that all my photos were less than 750x1000. I am greeted with a new project dialog box and the NTSC dv standard is already set. Although I deleted half of the slides and I was able to get it over to premiere elements, although I didn't want to delete any slides, but then I tried to break apart the slide show to change some of the transitions and add the menus to the slide show and it closes down. I have done others in the past, although not as big, and they have worked fine. So now I am puzzled. One other project I did had about 42 slides and that was fine, this one had 62 photos plus extra pan and zoom slides for a total of about 125. I deleted the extra pan and zoom slides just to try it and that is when I got it to go to premiere elements but couldn't edit it there. If there is anymore information that you need me to provide just let me know. I need to get this project done ASAP. Like I sais these people have been waiting for over 2 months and I just want to get it done. If there is a way that I can get it done that would be great. Oh, also I do know to monitor the memory and am not sure if this is a problem bu It does say when I send it to premiere elements that it is running low on system memory save your project and continue with caution. But that was only with the smaller slideshow not the full one that i would like to use. When I try to use the big slideshow, the one with 125 slides, premiere elements doesn't even open. Also, transitions were all different. And the audio came from my library and also music that i downloaded from Limewire. I have an HP pavilion computer with Windows Vista Home Premium service pack 2. 32 bit operating system. AMD athlon processor. 3.00 GB of total ram. I tried to provide you with as much information as I could. Again let me know if you need anything else. Thank you.

• 15. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                      napeptc Level 1

I also wanted to let you know on more thing I tried to save it as a .wmv file and I got the following error about halfway through the save "Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0 (organizer) has stopped working, a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Window will close the prograsm and notify you if a solution is available" and then photoshop closes down, just one more thing to add to the list

• 16. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

napeptec

Please do not become frustrated. We will try to work through this to an acceptable conclusion. Right now it is important to keep track of what has been done and procedure in a systematic fashion. So, since your problems seem to present themselves on the Photoshop Elements 7 side (your start point), let us focus there in this post.

Search for an offending component:

Given: Let us say your 125 photos (none sized larger than 1000 x 750 pixels landscape or 750 x 1000 pixels portrait oriented) with its pans & zooms and transitions and audio from "Limewire".

What happens if you remove only ALL the audio from the Photoshop Elements 7 Slide Show Editor slideshow? Can you write the .wmv (sized to the NTSC DVD size)?

What happens if you remove only All the pans & zooms?

What happens if you do not delete anything, just divide up the slideshow into units A, B, and C (A=Beginning; B=Middle, and C=End Section), and try to write each as a .wmv file (NTSC DVD size)? Is the wmv writing successful for any of the segments?

Please let me know what comes of that look at? At this point I think it is unproductive to bring Premiere Elements into this project if the Photoshop Elements side is not even working for writing a .wmv version of the slideshow.

If it comes to it, I will give you a crash course in getting the presentation done exclusively in Premiere Elements 7, but if computer resources and the size of your project are at the core of this issue, the problems can impact there also in that approach.

I have not given up hope for a speedy turnaround, and I hope that you have not either.

ATR

• 17. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Add on question:

How is your computer configured:

a. wired Desktop

b. wired Desktop with a wireless connection to laptop in use

c. some other kind of networking

ATR

• 18. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                            napeptc Level 1

I will try what you have sugested in the previous post and let you know how that goes, we only have one computer at home no laptops or other computers, we do have att uverse which is also our TV source. i guess this is a wired not sure but it is like a big modem by my computer that also has a wire going to the tv i am not sure if you are familiar with uverse or not. thank you for your response, like i said i will try saving the slide show in three parts, oh will i have to redo the slideshow to get three different parts? I also will try it without the music.

• 19. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                              Barb__O Level 4

" i will try saving the slide show in three parts --- oh will i have to redo the slideshow to get three different parts?"

In the PSE 7 slide show editor, save the slide show PROJECT (entire contents) multiple times under different and unique names - perhaps the new saves could be named with text including part1, part2, part 3. Keep the entire project as it was of course.

Then close the PSE slide show editor and verify that you have the thumbnails for each of the different "part" names in the PSE Organizer.  Now you can edit each of these projects separately to remove the material that is not intended to be in that part.

• 20. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                                napeptc Level 1

Thank you for your response, I will do that and let everyone know how it goes.

• 21. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

napeptc

I will be looking forward to your results.

Just take it slow and evaluate systematically, elminating as many variables as possible as you proceed with the troubleshooting. For each step, keep track of what you did and the results obtained.

These recently discussed rounds of studies should yield some valuable information.

Thank you for hanging in there through all our suggestions.

ATR

• 22. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                                    napeptc Level 1

Well i have tried breaking it up into 3 parts and saving each part, that worked but i went into premiere elements i loaded the first part and was able to edit it but when i tried putting the next part in that is when premiere elements encountered a problem my question is, is the slideshow too big? also why should this matter i just dont understand dont know what else to do. i wish i could get the same text and text balloon effects in premiere because i would just do the whole thing there i am stumped but i will keep on trying with all your help

• 23. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                                      Barb__O Level 4

I don't think that your slideshow (you said the equivalent of 125 slides) is necessarily too big for Premiere Elements.

What next?  Here is what I would try

Approach A

-- look at that Part 2 in the PSE slide show editor.

1) What type of audio files does it have? And does it have a type of audio file that was not present in Part 1? 

2) What did you do with linked pan and/or zoom in Part 2 that you did not do in Part 1?

3) Is there any photo that has significantly different characteristics that is in  Part 2 - perhaps a panorama or something else?

Approach B

-- send only Part 2 to a new different Premiere Elements project - is that successful?

This should be a step towards identifying if there is something specific in Part 2 causing a problem, which would then recommend doing approach A and/or Approach C

Approach C

is a divide and conquer

where you further subdivide Part 2 into two smaller parts as a method of isolating where within Part 2 the problem could be : I would send each subdivided part to a separate Premiere Elements project as a method of isolating problems.

approach B actually seems to me to be the more likely starting point if you want to continue working on the Send Slideshow process. 

• 24. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                                        napeptc Level 1

i can do each part seperately with no problem but when i coombine them that is when i have the problem

• 25. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

napeptc

OK, you are making progress. I would ask you this question.

I.

You say that you can bring segments A, B, and C individually into Premiere Elements 7 without problems. Further you say that you cannot get A and B together into Premiere Elements. What happens if you try to get  A and C into Premiere Elements?

What happens if you get A into Premiere Elements and then export it File Menu/Export/DV AVI, in which process you save the DV AVI version (segment A) to a hard drive location. You close out of there. And, then you repeat the process in a new project with segment B, saving the DV AVI (segment B) to the same hard drive location. You close out of there. And, then you repeat the process in a new project with segment C, saving the DV AVI (segment C) to the same hard drive location. You close out of there.

a Then you open a new project and with Get Media/Files and Folders, you bring in from the hard drive save location DV AVI segments A, B, and C.

b. Can you continue working in that scenario?

This scenario did work for someone I was helping who had similar problems. But, a problem can have the same symptoms as another, but different causes.

These comments are continuous with the train of troubleshooting that I have posted sequentially and would be best carried out that way.

If this does not prove a route with a successful ending, then I would next go after that audio. Did you ever try removing it ALL to see if that gave you the go ahead in Photoshop Elements as well as Premiere Elements?

I will continue to monitor your progress and be prepared to comment as needed.

ATR

• 26. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                                            napeptc Level 1

well i didnt get a chance to try your latest suggestion but what i did do is delete all the pan and zoom and the extra slides and i had no error. only problem i wanted the effects that i deleted are there any type of effects like that in premiere elements if so how can i get to them if not i will try the other suggestions you made but for now i am getting ready to eat and probably wont try again till tomorrow evening if i get a chance

• 27. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

napeptc

If you have something that looks like a path to success to get through this project then do go for it. I still prefer the other plan, but

If you can get the slideshow transferred from Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow Editor using the Send to Premiere Elements Output Option, you can right click the slideshow that arrives on the Premiere Elements 7 Timeline and select Break Apart Adobe Photoshop Elements Slideshow. Once you have done that, you can apply pans OR zooms to each slide with presets (Edit Tab/Effects Tab/Presets/and then the Horizontal Pans or Zooms OR the Vertical Pans or Zooms. If you want to add Pans AND Zooms to a photo, you keyframe the motion properties of Position and Scale.

This a classic article for keyframing written in the days of Premiere Elements 2. Its principles still hold true.

http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/source/steve/steve_tips_01-06.htm

I will post some details for keyframing in Premiere Elements 7 in a few hours.

ATR

• 28. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

napeptc

Here is a thread in which I was involved that has some how to suggestions for keyframing in Premiere Elements 7

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50530

Please let me know if you have any questions on the details. I hope that progress is good there, and success is just around the corner.

ATR

• 29. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                                                  jackscon joseph Level 1

Export the slide show as WMV and import in PRE if its not sending properly while using Send to PRE option.

• 30. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                                                    napeptc Level 1

sorry it took so long but i just tried saving it as a file and opening it in premiere elements but when i opened it and seperated the file to edit it there was an error in premiere and it shut down any other suggestions

• 31. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

napeptc

What happened with regard to identifying the offending section of your project as detailed in prior discussions in this thread?

Be that as it may, let us take a brief moment to look at your detour to the .wmv route....

a. what do you mean by "when I opened and separated it there was an error in Premiere and it shut down..."? One of the disadvantages of the outputting the Photoshop Elements Slide Show Editor slideshow to .wmv (Save As File Movie .wmv) is that the Break Apart Adobe Photoshop Elements Slideshow command is not available. That command is available only when you use the Photoshop Elements 7 output option = Send to Premiere Elements. So, how did you go about "separating it"? Did you trim the video in the Preview Window with the In Out points or did you cut it with the Scissors Tool at the bottom right of the Edit Mode Monitor? When you wrote the .wmv in Photoshop Elements, what profile (size setting) did you use? Also, what specifically were you doing in the program when it decided to shut down? Backing up a little, what Premiere Elements 7 project preset (new project dialog) are you using and how did you get the .wmv to the Premiere Elements 7 Timeline.

I have been away from this forum for several days and have not read this thread recently. I will check it out. But, I think it wise to carry one line of troubleshooting to conclusion before detouring to another. At this point, detailed sequential accounts from you are the best way to manage the communications. Between now and tomorrow morning, I will read all your responses to gauge where we are and be back with comments to try to help you organize your results for better interpretation of the issue.

To be continued....

ATR

• 32. Re: Trouble exporting slideshow from pse7 to pe7
                                                                        napeptc Level 1

what i mean is that when i seperated it to try to edit it like change the transitions or even when trying to put in a menu or make any changes premiere elements encounters a problem and closes, as for the other things we tried i came to the same brick wall when i tried to edit the slide show in premiere elements it encounters a problem and closes as for the outputting of the slide show i open the slide show and then select the output tab near the top it now at least goes over there but i cannot break it apart and edit i get an error every time i also have contacted support about this matter hopefully i can get it or i will just have to use different software