3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2009 10:52 PM by Lon Winters

H264 vs. On2 codecs

tomottoe Level 1

I'm using CS3 and trying to get an flv file closer to 10 megs if I can--currently the file is 14 megs, 640x480, 800mbps, keyframe@30; audio comp @ 96, using the On2 codec. The quality is about as low as I want to go. Is the H264 codec significantly more efficient--can I expect to knock off a few megs with similar settings?

I've avoided upgrading to CS4 but if it will help in this case I will.

thanks

--tom

• 1. Re: H264 vs. On2 codecs
          iFezec Level 3

h.264 is the most revolutionary way to compress information right now.  it will significantly reduce your file size i promise.

• 2. Re: H264 vs. On2 codecs
            Rothrock Level 5

Well regardless of the codec 800 + 96 mbps will come out to about 14 megs since it will be the same amount of data per second. However with a better codec you can get the same quality using a lower data rate.

Not sure why you are talking about upgrading to CS4. You can playback H.264 in Flash 9.

Are you using the Flash Media Encoder or some third party software? It isn't very flexible and doesn't really have what it takes to get the best out of video. If you need to do much of this kind of stuff I highly recommend that you check out third party solutions.

• 3. Re: H264 vs. On2 codecs
              Lon Winters Level 4

Are you talking about the current media encoder or the previous Flash Video Encoder?  I think the current media encoder is excellent and very flexible.  You can export to just about anything you want and have a great deal of control over the settings.This program is what kicks in when you export video from Premiere even.

The olf Flash Video Encoder, yeah, that was horrible.

14 MB vs 10 MB is not that  big of a difference unless you're talking about a 5 second clip.  But it's not about the file size!  I     It's the bitrate that matters when you try to get it to play over a variety of connections.  I don't know why, but the media encoder likes to default the settings at 1.5, when that is really overkill.  I always take it down below 600 and don't notice a quality difference until it gets under 400.  However, where you will see the difference is in someone wants to take it to full screen.  Then that low bitrate setting will look like crap.