6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 2:51 AM by VDOSurfer

Preview not working properly in PE8

rawatts Level 1

I have clips captured by PE as .avi and they preview fine with PE7 but with PE8 the sound seems ok but the video stops for 10 seconds then plays for .5 second and then stops again.  I just updated my video driver and that did not help (as a mater of fact now PE7 won't work) and I have Quick Time 7.6.4.  I am using XP Home, AMD 4400+ Athlon 64x2 (I plan to upgrade next year) 4GB ram and Nvidia Quadro FX3500 with plenty of free disk space.

Bob

• 1. Re: Preview not working properly in PE8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

>they preview fine with PE7 but with PE8 the sound seems ok but the video stops for 10 seconds then plays for .5 second and then stops again.

Where are you previewing them in Premiere Elements 8 and where are you playing them that they stop every 10 seconds?

• 2. Re: Preview not working properly in PE8
            rawatts Level 1

Steve,

Yes, they are clips of a soccer game and not useful for editing in PE8 because they play so slow and the sound is running at normal speed- the clip is about an hour long.  Acts like there is not enough resources to play it.  I rolled back the driver, but now I can't even use PE7 - when it loads up it minimizes to the task bar and does not respond.    Nvidia must of left some stuff my system does not like.  CS3 continues to work fine with the same clip.

Bob

• 3. Re: Preview not working properly in PE8
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I have Quick Time 7.6.4

It is normally common wisdom to update QT Player to the latest version, because PrE interfaces with it so very closely.

However, many Adobe users have been having tons of issues with QT Player 7.6.3 and especially 7.4. The last version that seemed to play nice with Adobe products was 7.5.5. There were also the ill-conceived 7.4.x versions, that also killed most things Adobe.

As a test, can you roll back to QT Player 7.5.5? I believe that Apple keeps an archive of older versions, but you may have to navigate to find it. It has worked for users with PrE, PrPro and AE, where the 7.6.x versions are killing the Adobe programs. I hope that Apple adopts a program to test QT Player on machines running Adobe programs soon.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Preview not working properly in PE8
                jackscon joseph

which format clips are you using to edit in timeline (HDV, AVCHD or DV). What the duration of the clip in timeline. Press Enter the timeline to render the clips and check the play back.

• 5. Re: Preview not working properly in PE8
                  rawatts Level 1

This is a DV clip and I did not have anything on the timeline.  I think Hunt may be on to the solution, but after spending a few hours loading PE8 and fooling around with PE7 I wanted to get some editing completed so this project is becoming a CS3 project.  I think the work flow might be better in CS3 anyway.  Maybe I will look at it again tonight.

• 6. Re: Preview not working properly in PE8
                    VDOSurfer Level 3

In addition, could you try disabling the GPU playback? (Edit->Preferences->Enable GPU Playback - disable this checkbox)

Just to make PrE 8 same as PrE 7 in terms of playing back a video. If this plays well, I would consider updating the driver for the video card with OpenGL/DirectX support specifically in mind. Just a thought.

And as suggested earlier, these steps would just be in addition to the QT upgrade.