8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2010 3:55 AM by Todd-sta RSS

Illustrator CS3 - "Not enough memory to place the file."  Help!!!???

Todd-sta Community Member

I have a new machine running XP Pro 64.  Intel i7 processor, 12 gb ram.

I am trying to place a fairly small Photoshop image (with layers) into Illustrator CS3.  I have done this countless times with XP 32 bit os.

But now, I cannot place even a small Photoshop image into Illustrator... I keep getting the error "Not enough memory to place the file."

I tried the suggestion of 'right-clicking' the Illy launch icon and going to properties/compatibility and then selecting "Run this program in compatibility mode for..."  and then I check marked Windows XP.

Someone else said this worked in Vista 64.....but it DID NOT work for XP 64.....dang it.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

• 1. Re: Illustrator CS3 - "Not enough memory to place the file."  Help!!!???
          Mylenium ACP/MVPs

I have a new machine running XP Pro 64.  Intel i7 processor, 12 gb ram.

I think your answer is there somewhere. While they should run, neither Adobe program is explicitly certified for XP64, not even way back then in CS3. In your case the matter is certainly complicated by the operating system simply not being able to make the best of your modern processor in combination with the unique memory management of CoreXi processors. The only thing I can think of is that you could enable some legacy compatibility options in your BIOS with regards to memory timing and interrupt handling. You may need to flip a switch to create a contiguous 4GB zone somewhere. But if you allow me that observation: Why waste such a shiny new processor on such an old operating system? I really recommend you upgrade to Windows Vista or Windows 7. CS3 has been tested on Vista way back then and should still run the same on W7...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Illustrator CS3 - "Not enough memory to place the file."  Help!!!???
            shunithD Community Member

I had a similar problem recently... trying to place an image gave me the insufficient memory message...

What i did was open it in a separate file and then:

1/ Copy and paste

2/ Drag the image across to the file i wanted it in. This last, had to have the destination file larger on screen than the image (on screen) being dragged, else i got an out of bounds message...

Both worked... they were .TIFs, but should work for a PSD.

However, why that message, when the end result is the same <shrug> especially, considering that a "Place file" command links but a paste embeds... so file size should be bigger...

• 3. Re: Illustrator CS3 - "Not enough memory to place the file."  Help!!!???

Well..... I just tried the same function on my 64 bit Leopard operating system on my MacBook Pro just for kicks.  Worked flawlessly!!

So, why won't it work on XP 64 bit? Is this a case of 'the mac os is just better?"

Can anyone tell me if they can place a Photoshop image from WINDOWS 7 64 bit OS into Illustrator without issue?  We're talking 'PLACE' .... not paste.

Sure would like to know.  I'd upgrade if it made the difference.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Illustrator CS3 - "Not enough memory to place the file."  Help!!!???
                S.D.A. Community Member

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 04:37:08PM -0600, Todd-sta uttered:

Well..... I just tried the same function on my 64 bit Leopard operating system on my MacBook Pro just for kicks.  Worked flawlessly!!

So, why won't it work on XP 64 bit? Is this a case of 'the mac os is just better?"

Talk about flame bait -- You trying to start the platform wars again? ;-D

Can anyone tell me if they can place a Photoshop image from WINDOWS 7 64 bit OS into Illustrator without issue?  We're talking 'PLACE' .... not paste.

Don't know about Windoze 7; but that operation works in Vista x64. XP x64 is

quite flaky at times. It was never finished IMHO.

LOL

end

• 5. Re: Illustrator CS3 - "Not enough memory to place the file."  Help!!!???
                  sah_fadzil@yahoo.co.uk

ok..i just found out a simple yet very effective solution for those who using windows 7 64bit, regardless your RAM, u can place the PSD file without any problem by right clicking your AI CS3 icon, click properties, then choose the compatibility mode to vista service pack 2, it should work on other option too, but i've never try other windows compatibility. happy designing !!

• 6. Re: Illustrator CS3 - "Not enough memory to place the file."  Help!!!???
                    Joe Paris Community Member

Todd-sta wrote:

FYI - I can't place a Windows7 64 saved PSD file in CS3 but I can in CS5.

• 7. Re: Illustrator CS3 - "Not enough memory to place the file."  Help!!!???
                      sah_fadzil@yahoo.co.uk Community Member

thats weird, i already did the method that i've mention, it works just fine with my laptop, here's my specs: AMD Turion 64x2, 4gb DDR 2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce 7000M/ nforce 610M. im using illustrator cs3 with adobe psd CS 2, i have no problem placing any psd image (even hi-res). well, your solution maybe help others..thank you for sharing.

• 8. Re: Illustrator CS3 - "Not enough memory to place the file."  Help!!!???

I reloaded Ilustrator and the 'Place" function seems to be working - for the most part.

Every once in a while, it will just quit placing.... so I shut Illustrator down, shut windows down and restart and it starts working again....

This is a BUG that ADOBE NEEDS TO FIX FOR GOOD!!!

When it quits working in CS5, I can turn around and open CS3 and the PLACE FUNCTION WORKS FINE - IN CS3.

Todd