3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2009 4:51 PM by the_wine_snob

Problem with JPG Files

operator_5

Hi guys,

I'm still using Elements 2. I never upgraded because I'm happy with PE2, and so far I haven't had any real issues... until now!

I'm finding that when I do a large project, some of the .jpg files that I have in my timeline don't appear in the finished DVD. The screen just goes black at the point where each of the .jpg images should be. When I check the timeline, those files are still there.

What should I do? If I use .tif files or Photoshop files instead of the .jpgs, would that work?

Many thanks in advance!!

• 1. Re: Problem with JPG Files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The most likely cause is that the images are just too large. These should be resized outside of PrE, to preserve quality (one time that bigger is NOT better), and also to not needlessly waste your computer's resources.

This ARTICLE will tell you how to easily and semi-automatically resize in PS/PSE.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Welcome to the forum.

• 2. Re: Problem with JPG Files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a FAQ entry on still image resolution.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Problem with JPG Files
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              What should I do? If I use .tif files or Photoshop files instead of the .jpgs, would that work?

Because I do my work in PS, and my still images are usually Nikon RAW images, I stick with .PSD's, though sized for my Video Project. I am less a fan of JPEG images, but others have no quality issues. TIFF's, properly sized, will work well too.

I doubt that the format is your issue here. PrE and PrPro have issues with large still images, and having them Export black is very common.

Good luck,

Hunt