5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2009 2:50 AM by jackscon joseph

DVD Menus lost in 8.0

mick1016

Upgraded from Premiere Elements 3.0 to 8.0.  When I open an existing project, the preview screen does not show the DVD Menus and templates that had been created.

• 1. Re: DVD Menus lost in 8.0
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Over versions, the Functional Content (Adobe's name for things like Menus, Themes, etc.) change. Can you copy over the Functional Content from the previous version? If you no longer have the older version, can you copy over the .psd's from the PrE 3 installation disc?

My general advice is to finish all Projects in the version, that was used to start it. Then, the next Project gets started in the new version.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: DVD Menus lost in 8.0
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Hunt. It's unlikely you'll be able to open a version 3 project in version 8 without lots of bugginess.

• 3. Re: DVD Menus lost in 8.0
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Though this applies to Transitions, and not Menus (the topic here), one nice feature that I encountered in PrPro 2.0, when I had to Import several Pr 6.5 Projects. One of the Pr 6.5 Projects had two Transitions that were no longer included in my later PrPro version, plus one third-party Transition. When the Project first Imported, PrPro notified me that there were missing Transitions. It then went about giving me complete details of what the Original Transition's name was (even pointing out that one was a thrid-party Transition), and the exact TimeCode, where they had been used. I was surprised at how well these old Projects Imported, especially as they were from the Mac and I was on PC with a version of PrPro, that was no longer available for the Mac. PrPro treated these older Projects perfectly, and all it took to get up to speed was a pencil and paper to jot down the missing Transitions and their exact location in the 8 hour Project.

Now, I'm talking Transitions (not Menus) and PrPro (not PrE), albeit an older one, Importing a Pr Project, a very old one and from a different platform. I could only hope that PrE is half as nice with older Projects, though I would still strongly suggest that all users finish their work in the version in which it was started to avoid any issues.

Now to the Menus in PrE (earlier). These files are basically "sets" of two .PSD files, with a standard naming convention, keeping them in sets. It's easy to add additional Menus, like those available for purchase, or by subscription at Muvipix. If one has an older version of PrE, with different Menus, it would be easy to copy those Menus to the appropriate folders/sub-folders in the newer version of PrE. Unless PrE has greatly changed the way that Menus are stored and implemented in PrE 8 (Steve, or ATR can verify this), these copied Menus (remember, they are SETS, so copy both the Main and the Scene Selection Menus) should function perfectly in PrE 8.

Also, using the Blank Menus, or really any other, and a bit of Photoshop work on the Background, one could customize the included Menu Sets to match those older, lost Menu Sets.

IIRC, Steve has done a series of articles on how to customize Menu Sets for PrE at Muvipix.

Just some observations and ideas,

Hunt

• 4. Re: DVD Menus lost in 8.0
                the_wine_snob Level 9

To add some thoughts, if one has used Themes/Instant Movie, there would be even more reason to finish a Project in the version, in which it was started - these might cause no end to problems.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: DVD Menus lost in 8.0
                  jackscon joseph Level 1

Some DVD templates are removed from 3.0 to 8.0. Your old templates is included in removed list.