6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2009 8:07 PM by Jim_Simon

Premiere Pro CS4

Bobolutchie1

I have previously submitted this problem and have received great suggestions but none of them have solved my problem. In my attempts to capture video I now get "Capture Device Offline" messages. I have tried turning on the camera then starting CS4 in sequence and that hasn't helped. I made sure all connections were good. My video camera shows that my DV connection is good, and I have made sure that the setting on CS4 is the same as my camera.  Still I get the same "Capture Device Offline" message.Could this be a software problem?? Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS4
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

You have omitted your camera make and model. What is it? How is it setup for download/Capture?

Does Windows see it? Do you get the little "bing-bong?"

There are a half-dozen variations on turning on the camera and also the Capture module/PrPro. Have you tried them all, or just one?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS4
            Bobolutchie1 Level 1

My camera is a Sony Digital 8 DCR-TRV240.  I plug the forewire plug into the DV In/Out plug and it registers on the camera as "DV In". The only Bing bong is when I turn on the camera to VCR. I then plug into the computer, then turn on CS4.  I then click on "capture" and it gives me the "Capture Device Offline". Now, I  have used this camera with CS4 and have been able to capture on this same video project until just recently when it just quit allowing me to capture. What other sequences are there? What do you mean does Windows see it? Again, anything you can offer will be appreciated.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS4
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Try starting Premiere, plugging in the camera, waiting for Windows to see it, and only then opening the capture module.

On my older system, any deviation from the above sequence, and capture would not work.

Others have had to make sure the camera was plugged in before starting Premiere.  So the sequence can vary from one machine to another.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS4
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

If your Premiere project is set up to capture HDV as opposed to capture DV it will show "Capture Device Offline"

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS4
                  Bobolutchie1 Level 1

Ok, apparently Windows is not seeing it, because it doesn't come up. Next?

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS4
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Fix that.  Then try again with Premiere.