8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 10:12 AM by chaosdsmFL

noobie here  - have 1920x1080 video want a HD DVD

NiceHaircut:Pat

Hi -- Using Premier Elements 7 I have video thats 1920x1080 and want to burn HD DVDs.  Can I do this in Elements?  if not, what do I need?  Any help/documentation would be great...

thanks

• 1. Re: noobie here  - have 1920x1080 video want a HD DVD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There is a recent thread by Gossamer on burning AVCHD to DVD-Video. You might want to Search this forum for "AVCHD" and filter on People>Gossamer.

Now, tell us more about your exact source footage. That might make a difference.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: noobie here  - have 1920x1080 video want a HD DVD
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is Gossamer's THREAD. Be sure to follow all of the links here to other fora. There is plenty of useful info.

Hunt

• 3. Re: noobie here  - have 1920x1080 video want a HD DVD
              white_pearl

No, From Premiere Elements its not possible to burn a HD DVD directly.

• 4. Re: noobie here  - have 1920x1080 video want a HD DVD
                chaosdsmFL Level 1

Are you talking about High Definition video as written to Blu-Ray or the actual HD-DVD format???  HD-DVD is a dead format, manufacturers stopped making HD-DVD drives/players/burners almost 2 years IIRC, you can't buy HD-DVD players or burners in stores anymore, though you can find them on eBay...  & unless you're making these DVD's for yourself, you're really doing a dis-service to anyone you give them to.  No new software is going to support HD-DVD simply because it is a dead format, on the other hand all modern video editing software supports Blu-Ray.  Even HD-DVD blank media is becoming extremely hard to find, many of the major media vendors don't even have any left in their inventory.  All of these factors are driving even the most die-hard HD-DVD advocates to Blu-Ray... even the might of Microsoft wasn't enough to stave off HD-DVD's death.

Now if you were talking about High Def video written to Blu-Ray... I don't know about Premier Element 7, but it is definitely supported in Premier Elements 8.

• 5. Re: noobie here  - have 1920x1080 video want a HD DVD
                  Allen Joy

As ChaosdsmFL said in Premiere Elements you can not directly burn to HD DVD. However you can burn your 1920*1080 file format videos via Burn to Blu-ray option. Go to Disc->Bluray and choose the preset 1920*1080 (PAL/NTSC and encoding as H264/MPEG2) and burn to blu-ray.However there is no option in PRE to burn this size video to DVD and retain the quality.Burning to DVD would result in bad quality .However burn to blu-ray will provide you with the sharp quality.

• 6. Re: noobie here  - have 1920x1080 video want a HD DVD
                    NiceHaircut:Pat Level 1

Thanks for the response Allen...I realized after I posted that this is

what I would need to do.... One more question if I am to stay with DVD

quality for the time being, should I set my video recorder to a

resolution less the 1920*1080 so that it might look better on DVD media?

• 7. Re: noobie here  - have 1920x1080 video want a HD DVD
                      chaosdsmFL Level 1

Good question... The resolution of standard NTSC DVD is only 720x480.  However, finding a resolution to record at on your camera is very dependent upon other factors.  95% of those factors would be how well your camera handles downsizing video Vs how well PrE handles downsizing video.

I would suggest a simple test, set up an area with several different objects of different colors, sizes, shapes, & orientations, then shoot 5-10 second clips at all of your camera's various resolution settings.  Import the clips to PrE & burn them to DVD, then watch the DVD on your TV.   This will show you the differences between how your camera handles down-sizing the videos Vs how PrE handles downsizing the videos.  Just be sure to add a text lable in each clip before burning to DVD showing what resolution that clip was shot at, so you'll easily know what resolution works best for your camera.  If you don't notice much difference or very little difference between clips, then both the camera & PrE are performing the same job at about the same quality level,

• 8. Re: noobie here  - have 1920x1080 video want a HD DVD
                        NiceHaircut:Pat Level 1

Good suggestions,  I will give this a try.  Like you motioned, there might be a difference the way Pre downsizes (dithers) video resolution....

Thanks again...