7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2009 12:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Will someone please bring me up to date? I have been gone awhile.

RED UFO

I have been away awhile, so long that I couldn't log into my old account and couldn't retrieve my old info. I had to create an new account. Here are my questions.

I am still using PE2 because I am comfortable with it for the level that I am at. I see that we now have PE8. As a very good intermediate PE2 user, will I have much trouble adjusting to the PE8 program?

I have the book In a Snap for PE2. In a Snap has been my bible. Is there such a book for PE8?

I see Steve prominent in the PE forum but I don't see Chuck. Is Chuck still around?

Thank You,

Al

• 1. Re: Will someone please bring me up to date? I have been gone awhile.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Hi, Al!

Yes, Chuck is still absolutely around. In fact, after the In a Snap book, we, along with many other regulars from this forum, opened http://Muvipix.com, a site dedicated to offering training and support to videomakers -- particularly those using Premiere Elements.

Muvipix has one of the friendliest, most knowledgeable forums on the web (under Community) as well as animated tutorials and tips, custom-created DVD menus, licensed music, motion backgrounds, stock footage and sound effects. Much of it is absolutely free, and even more is available for those who purchase an annual subscription to the site.

In addition, we've got books available for versions 7 and 8 in both Premiere Elements only and Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements combined versions.

Great to have you back! Please drop by and say hello!

As for how hard the transition is between versions 2 and 8, Adobe has streamlined the interface a bit -- for better or for worse -- so some things are in different places. But the function of the program is virtually the same. You should pretty easily find your way around.

Especially with my new book!

• 3. Re: Will someone please bring me up to date? I have been gone awhile.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Al

I have Premiere Elements 2, 4, and 7 installed on my Windows XP computer and have just finished the free 30 day Premiere Elements 8 tryout. I encourage the spirit for advancement, but, in this case, if Premiere Elements 2 meets your needs, then I would stay with it.

1. There is a major leap in space required for Premiere Elements 8. See Control Panel/Add & Remove Programs....compare at least 16000 MB (Premiere Elements 8) versus 5000 MB (Premiere Elements 2).

2. If you are not involved in high definition video editing, there is no advantage to upgrading to a later version. Premiere Elements 3.0.2 and 4.0 offer HDV, and Premiere Elements 7 and 8 offer HDV as well as AVCHD video editing. But, editing of high definition video makes more demands on your computer resources, especially for AVCHD. Is your computer resources adequate for such an undertaking?

3. Some examples of major differences:

a. Monitor in Premiere Elements 2 has a Clip and Timeline feature. In later versions, Monitor displays Timeline/Sceneline view and trimming of clips in Timeline is done in a Preview Window with In and Out points. There is more to the story, but that is the basic idea.

b. If you are into creating Photoshop Elements slideshows and burning them into DVD video, later version combos such as Photoshop Elements 5/Premiere Elements 3, Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elements 4, and Photoshop Element 7/Premiere Elements 7 let you send over a non .wmv slideshow to Premiere Elements for further editing with a Break Apart Adobe Photoshop Elements Slideshow command. Premiere Elements 2 is not part of such a combo, so you import the .wmv slideshow version from Photoshop Elements into Premiere Elements 2 for the burn to DVD-VIDEO. You can still edit the slideshow there, but editing possibilities are limited. Photoshop Elements 8/Premiere Elements 8 does allow for the non .wmv version scenario.

c. The good old friendly, File Menu/Export/Movie route is gone and replaced with a new and expanded Share/Personal Computer/AVI category. In Premiere Elements 8, File Menu/Export will allow you to save only your Premiere Elements 8 Titles for use in another project.

If you have any thoughts of upgrading I would encourage you to go the free 30 day try out route for Premiere Elements 8. You do not have to uninstall Premiere Elements 2. Just use one program at a time. You will see a message similar to that when you install Premiere Elements 8 while Premiere Elements 2 is still installed on the same computer. Others have written about the new features of Premiere Elements 8. I have found that more than one is best used "disabled". But, the important thing is that you determine how Premiere Elements 8 works or does not work in your computer environment and for what you want to do.

If you get a chance, please check out my Premiere Elements 8 First Look Thread in this forum.

ATR

• 4. Re: Will someone please bring me up to date? I have been gone awhile.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Al,

Welcome (back) to the forum.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I mainly use PrPro for my NLE work, though I do have PrE 4. I'm still on PrPro 2.0, and have, so far, passed on updates to CS3 and CS4. To date, there are few additional features, that I can press into use in those, though a few enhancements in CS4.1 do look tempting. Still, PrPro 2.0 & EncoreDVD 2.0 work perfectly for me.

As I use PrE less, I was not really tempted to go to PrE 7, and there are some questions and concerns about PrE 8. Right now, I am pleased with PrE 4, and probably wish that I had gotten in with PrE 3, as its interface was closer to what I am used to in PrPro 2.0.

If you are contemplating PrE 8, spend some time with ATR's comprehensive reviews of it. He has gone into great detail to paint a picture of it in real-world usage, from the perspecitve of an editor, not a reviewer. Those articles are invaluable to anyone contemplating a move up in versions.

As Steve points out, Chuck is still very active on Muvipix. He drops in here, from time to time, but is more focused over there. Drop in and tell him Hi!

Again, welcome back,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Will someone please bring me up to date? I have been gone awhile.
                HawFlakes

Thanks for the pointer to muvipix.com, I did not know it existed.  I'm interested in buying the PrE 8 book - is an online version available, or is it only in print?

• 6. Re: Will someone please bring me up to date? I have been gone awhile.
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The books, by the way, are available on Amazon.com and through the Muvipix store at this link.

• 7. Re: Will someone please bring me up to date? I have been gone awhile.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Al

This is the link to that Premiere Elements 8 First Look Thread

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/497028?tstart=60

If you go the tryout route, make sure you check out the Premiere Elements 8 Help PDF. It is quite well written and comprehensive.

ATR