8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2009 4:28 AM by RED UFO

Can I create a text balloon in PE2?

RED UFO

I am making a slide show and I would like to add a text window to my slides. I would like to use a cartoon type balloon. Does PE 2 have this feature? I looked through my books but coulnt find anything.

Thanks,

Al

• 1. Re: Can I create a text balloon in PE2?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can create one in Photoshop Elements. There are several options under the Shape Tool.

Once you've found the shape, just save it as a PSD file with no background layer -- 640x480 pixels -- and import it into your Premiere Elements project.

• 2. Re: Can I create a text balloon in PE2?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

There are also several sites, that have text/thought balloons that are premade. Most have a white background, so some "knockout" work would be required. Persionally, I use Steve's method, and just do a New Image w/ Transparent Background, using the Preset to match my Projcect, say NTSC Standard 4:3 720x480, PAR=0.9. I use either Shapes, or just the Pen Tool to do my Path, and then Storke Path on a new Layer. By doing a Save_As .PSD, I maintain my Transparency.

One can do similar in Titler with the Shapes there. There are fewer options, and one has to get a bit creative, but it can be done. Doing it in PS is so much easier, and with the Pen Tool, even with existing Shapes, the result is limited only by one's imagination. One can even animate these to have them form and grow, above the subject doing the thinking/speaking.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Can I create a text balloon in PE2?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

RED UFO

Are you talking about a Speech Bubble in Premiere Elements 2?

If so, open the Titler and use the Ellipse Tool in the Tool Bar to draw out an Ellipse for your text. Then make two or three tiny ellipses coming from the larger Ellipse which will contain the Text. Then still in the Titler use the Type Tool to type your text in the larger ellipse. With the Selection Tool, Color button of the Tools Bar, position the text within the large ellipse and use the controls in the Titler for font style and size. After you switch from Titles to Edit to close the Titler, drag the Title created from the Media Area to Video Track 2 on the Timeline above your image on Video Track 1.

Also, did you know that there are a bunch of logos in the Premiere Elements 2 program files.

From Premiere Elements 2 Get Media/Files and Folders, navigate

My Computer

C: Local Drive

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 2

Presets

Logos

click on Talk Bubble.psd and open it into the Premiere Elements 2 Media, followed by dragging it to the Video Track 2.

Then add the text for the Talk Bubble by creating a Title that will go on Video Track 3 above the Talk Bubble on Video Track 2.

Please let me know if that is what you want or if I went off target.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can I create a text balloon in PE2?
                RED UFO Level 1

I will reveiw all these suggestions. I have some studying to do in order to understand all of them.

• 5. Re: Can I create a text balloon in PE2?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can I create a text balloon in PE2?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is one of the SITES, that I mentioned for custom Shapes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Can I create a text balloon in PE2?
                      RED UFO Level 1

I tried the large to small eclipse. This will work for the project I am doing. I will also study my other options the others have suggested.

I like the eclipse option because I can do it in PE2 because I want to make it pop in and out on video track 2.

Thanks,

Al

• 8. Re: Can I create a text balloon in PE2?
                        RED UFO Level 1

I went to your link and tried to download the balloons. They downloaded in a Win-zip window. Win-zip is my weak point. I don't know how to procede after the window opens. Will you guide me through saving the files and how to access them in PE2. Can I use these in the media panel and drag them to my track 2 or are they just used for a photo in Photoshop?