15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2009 6:13 PM by A.T. Romano

Copying VOB files from DVD

Wucky Level 1

I'd like to use some clips from a DVD made by a friend.   They do not have the original, so I'm stuck with the DVD they burned.   The video on the DVD are in VOB format. 

They will be placed in an HD project (1080i,  30 FPS), but as they are not HD  I figured to bring them in as plain old DVI.  I used OJOSoft Total Video Convertor  (trial version)  ...  to convert them into AVI.  Then brought these AVI into the project.

I put them on the time line, rendered them, then played 'em.   Yuck  ...  UUUUUUgly

Look, they weren't the best clips to begin with, but these were unusable.    Playback was choppy and the images very, very sloppy.   They were sloppiest where the scenes had lots of motion (unfortunate, as this is a soccer video)

As a test....  I tried opening a new, normal DV NTSC project and bringing these clips on that.  They were equally bad.

Any suggestions for another process or tool to use?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Copying VOB files from DVD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Wucky,

You are facing an uphill battle. First, I'd suspect that the camera used originally might not be the best for recording motion. Next, the footage has been compressed to MPEG-2, and probably with little regard to the bit-rate in that compression.

My suggestion would be to down-sample the HD material to SD and do an SD Project completely. That, or just not use that DVD material at all - or maybe only as a PiP in the HD Project.

There is really no way to improve on the SD MPEG-2 material. Much has been lost in its creation process, and only mild corrections, like Levels, Color Correction, and maybe the applicatin of Neat Video Effect (for pay plug-in, or stand-alone) can do anything. Even then, it will not be much and not likely to improve things to a usable level.

Sorry for the bad news. Is going with an all SD Project out of the question?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Copying VOB files from DVD
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Wucky

What version Premiere Elements??

First with regard to the content in DVD-VIDEO format on the DVD disc....use the free MPEG Streamclip to convert to DV AVI and then bring the DV AVI version into Premiere Elements (project preset in new project dialog = NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen) via its Get Media/Files & Folders.

http://www.squared5.com/

If your original was in good shape when viewed from the DVD disc with a DVD player, then what you see on the Premiere Elements Timeline after MPEG Streamclip use should be fine.

Now as for combining video formats in the same Premiere Elements project Timeline with a given project preset....NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen is going to have a frame size of 720 x 480 as compared to the final 1920 x 1080 for HDV 1080i30 or AVCHD (Full or non Full) 1080i30. Upscaling can be a major quality issue, but..

In view of your overall comments, I would suggest that you first make sure that you are working from the best possible source and then try the mixed format Timeline in Premiere Elements and see what you get.

I will give this a try in Premiere Elements 7 later today and report back with first hand observations.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Copying VOB files from DVD
              Wucky Level 1

Thanks, gents....

Yes, I DO seem to be having my fair share of challenges since re-emerging and trying to re-start my video projects. Two signifcant changes  . . .  Prel 7 (what I'm on now,  vs I think was version 4 before)    and  HD  (on tape  ...    vs the DVI, also on tape from before)   I think  the HD change is what's making this difficult.

So, I tried converting the VOB from DVD  using both OJO Soft and also Digital Media Converter Pro 3.0.  Could not get StreamClip to work  ...   removed Quicktime and installed the alternative they recommended....  thing still crashed every time.

The clips placed on std DV timeline were not great.   Digital Media Converter Pro seemed to yield a better result that OjoSoft.

I have other issues, and am thinking of shifting back to Std DVI (Widescreen).  Will likely post that question on a different thread.

Chuck

• 4. Re: Copying VOB files from DVD
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Wucky

I looked in your situation and have these suggestions for you to try:

1. Convert your DVD-VIDEO formatted content of the DVD disc to DV AVI with MPEG Streamclip as per the link

http://www.squared5.com/

For now I am assuming best case scenario where you started with a DVD-VIDEO widescreen (16:9) and will end up with a DV AVI 16:9).

2. Open Premiere Elements with a project preset new project dialog NTSC DV Widescreen and import this DV AVI version into the program via its Get Media/Files and Folders. Note the quality. It should be excellent depending on the original on the original DVD disc. Close out of Premiere Elements.

3. Open Premiere Elements with a project preset new project dialog NTSC AVCHD HD1080i30. Also, leave a check mark next to Edit Menu/Preferences/General "Default Scale to Frame Size". Leave your Monitor Magnification on Fit. Then import your AVCHD footage as well as your DV AVI into Premiere Elements via the program's Get Media File and Folders. Go to Create Menus, do not bother to create menus now, just use the Preview there to make sure that you do not have any black borders (which you should not have).

4. And, then export. I did an export to DVD-VIDEO widescreen which looked great on my LCD 19 inch (res. 1440 x 900) TV via the DVD player. And, the export Share/Personal Computer/MPEG with the preset MPEG-2 1440 x 1080i30 looked great played back on the computer via the GOM Player.

Give it all a try and please let me know if any of this worked for you. The key is to rip a good quality VOB from the original DVD-VIDEO.

ATR

• 5. Re: Copying VOB files from DVD
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Chuck

What is the problem with MPEG Streamclip?

Installation crashes or procedure for conversion crashes? I can walk you through both.

If that is just DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc, MPEG Streamclip can handle it and handle it without problem.

You say "I tried converting the VOB from DVD  using both OJO Soft and also Digital Media Converter Pro 3.0". What did you convert the VOBs to?  What are you actually bringing into MPEG Streamclip, a converted product from either of those two programs or the original DVD-VIDEO VIDEO_TS VOBs?

ATR

• 6. Re: Copying VOB files from DVD
                    Wucky Level 1

Thanks for helping out....

Streamclip crashed  on conversion.

I THINK the install was okay....    I did delete Quicktime as instructed, and then installed the alternative.  The program is not visible from the XP "All Programs" menue, but I can launch it from a desktop icon.

Then I load the VOB file    ("File",  "Open Files")   I copied the VOB file from the DVD onto my desktop.

Then as it's loading  ....   window pops up...   "MPEG Streamclip has encountered a problem and needs to close  . . . ."

????

• 7. Re: Copying VOB files from DVD
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Wucky

This is what you do.

Place your DVD disc with the DVD-VIDEO content in the DVD burner drive tray.

Then open MPEG Streamclip.

File Menu/Open, navigate to your DVD disc and the VIDEO_TS with the VOBs.

Bring in your VOB
                      File Menu/click on "Export to AVI" NOT "Export to DV"
                      Then in AVI/DivX Exporter dialog:
                      Compressor: Apple DV PAL or Apple DVCPRO-PAL or NTSC DV/DVCPRO-NTSC, depending on your location
                      Sound: Uncompressed
                      Put a dot next to 720 x 576 (DV PAL) or 720 x 480 (DV NTSC), depending on your location
                      Field Dominance: Lower Field First
                      Up at top right, click on Options, set there for Aspect Ratio = 16:9 for widescreen and 4:3 for standard
                      Only if necessary, put a check mark next to Deinterlace Video.
                      Anything that I did not mention, leave as is.

Finally, click on Make AVI and the job is done quickly and effectively. (I usually save to Desktop)

Did you do all that? If not, could you give it a try and let me know if it worked OK for you?

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Copying VOB files from DVD
                        nealeh Level 5

I found on the Pro forum a discussion that said something along the lines "Use Magix Movie Edit Pro, it's better at importing VOBs". I don't know if this is true but my analog capture device uses the Magix Movies on DVD software and it's not too bad.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Copying VOB files from DVD
                          Wucky Level 1

Thanks.... but,  I don't even get that far.

The DVD is in the tray.

Launch MPEG Streamclip

File  ... open files  ...   I go to the folder on the DVD with the VOB files (there are two).  I select one...  then it crashes

Also tried     File  .... Open DVD   . . . also crashed

• 10. Re: Copying VOB files from DVD
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Wucky

I am not ready to give up YET

OK, you want to get to the point after File Menu/Open where you see in the Open Files Dialog

Look in: VIDEO_TS

Below the Look in: there is a list where you should see:

VIDEO_TS.VOB

VIS_01_1.VOB (or something comparible)

and others of that latter type

It is the VIS_01_1.VOB that you click on and which will open in MPEG Streamclip.

What version of QuickTime Alternative did you download? Was it version 1.81? Are you getting message saying that you have not completely uninstalled the regular QuickTime and that you need to do so?

Are you sure that there is nothing "unusual" about the properties of what is on that DVD? It is DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on a DVD disc? What type of DVD disc is it on?

ATR

• 11. Re: Copying VOB files from DVD
                              Wucky Level 1

ATR  - - -

Your persistence is something . . . thanks.    I did find a way to pull in acceptable (barely) clips from the DVD  using  ---  off all things  --- PrEl's media downloader.   Used that to pull onto time line.  Now, the image...  while wide screen  ...  WAS smaller (likely not enough data to fill the screen?)   So, within PrEl I increased the image size (dragging to a larger size), re-rendered.   Of course, the quality was not great  (fuzzy)  ... But it was better than the two samples made with OJO Soft and Digital media Converter  and the video was not choppy.

Would be good to learn MPEG Streamclip....    so, in answer to your questions....

Yep,  I did get to and open the correct file on the disk    VIS_01_1.VOB.  It was when opening that file in Streamclip that it crashed.

On the quicktime   . .   the message you noted DID appear when I first attempted to install Streamclip.   So, I deleted the QT I'd had and installed the exact version of the QT Alternative noted on the Squared5 page   (1.81).  Then, installed the Streamclip software.   No more message

The DVD was made on a home PC  . . .  not sure of the brand.  Widescreen

Thanks again

• 12. Re: Copying VOB files from DVD
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Wucky,

Sounds like you are doing better than I had anticipated. With the unknown camera and then the MPEG-2 encoding, you are probably close, so long as you can live with the footage. I thought that you'd toss it, due to the quality and the motion of the subjects.

Great going, and good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Copying VOB files from DVD
                                  Wucky Level 1

Thanks, Hunt

Using the old, somewhat fuzzy clips will not be an issue for this project. But will not be acceptable on some others.

I'll confess to feeling a bit clueless...   hard to believe I've actually done long projects drawn from 000's of assets.  The shift to HD has been challenging.   I'm presently doing some tesing on formats, etc.   Will likely post a new thread when I'm done with that.   I just want to get to work on these projects !

Chuck

• 14. Re: Copying VOB files from DVD
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Chuck,

We all look forward to your HD observations.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Copying VOB files from DVD
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Wucky

I was ready to kick myself when I saw your report of doing OK with the Premiere Elements Adobe Media Downloader. What you described...placing the DVD disc in the DVD burner drive tray and using Premiere Elements Get Media/DVD (Camcorder or PC DVD Drive) and the Media Downloader...is the recommended route for ripping VOBs from DVD-VIDEO on DVD with Premiere Elements. Many people do very well with that procedure. Other do not, typically quality problems or audio out of sync. For those who do not, we recommended MPEG Streamclip. I "assumed" that you had already tried the Media Downloader unsuccessfully, so I did not mention it. Sorry, sorry,..

Now, if your VOBs are derived from a DVD-VIDEO widescreen, you rip them into Premiere Elements with a project preset new project dialog = NTSC DV Widescreen, and end up with Timeline content that does not look like 16:9, then:

a. get to the Project Media view and right click the VOB file there

b. in the drop down menu, select Interpret Footage

c. in the Interpret Footage dialog, dot the Conform to: and change it to read "D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2)

I have learn my lesson for today, do not assume.

When you get a chance, please update us on your progress which I know will be good. Do not give up on that MPEG Streamclip. It is a winner, although we could not prove that today.

ATR