16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2009 7:02 AM by csgaraglino

Video's are soft (blurry)

csgaraglino Level 1

First, I am new to Premiere Elements, but as a software engineer I pick up thing pretty fast.

I have a .avi file that I am using for a baseline that was captured from Camtaisa (but my issue exists no matter what file I use).

It is 648x480 - 632kbps - 10 frames/sec 18.2mb and can be viewed here:

http://www.ilgm.com/userfiles/file/baseline_video.avi

My issue is that if I open PRE, drop the video file on the timeline the preview is soft?

It actually looks like anti-alias is being applied?

I can live with that, but is I click share - it does not matter what export format I choose, it aslo saves soft?

I have been using AVS4YOU Video Editor ($30) for the last year, but it is very limites in features.

When I save in AVS4YOU I get a great clean crisp video form the same source.

I have tried saving in PRE using the exact same setting, but PRE still comes out soft (blurry).

I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong!

Please help.

Chris Sgaraglino

ILGM, Inc.

• 1. Re: Video's are soft (blurry)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

I think the following got posted in someone else's thread by mistake. Sorry about that.

Issues with Camtasia Studio 6 video have been reported here and elsewhere for Premiere Pro as well as Premiere Elements. I am a Premiere Elements user and have not run into the issue if I render the Timeline in the Edit Mode to get the best possible preview. Burning of the rendered Timeline gives me good results. I have varied the codec of the Camtasia video used and have had the best results with .H264 with a .mov file extension.

Here are some background links on the Premiere Pro side of the fence:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1902061#1902061

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2322954#2322954

ATR

• 2. Re: Video's are soft (blurry)
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I have a couple of thoughts:

1.) This ARTICLE talks about Camtasia files, and might be of help.

2.) Check the Magnification of your Program Monitor and if it's set to Fit, change that to 100% and expand, as is necessary.

3.) Critical viewing of a file is best on an NTSC calibrated monitor, and not on a computer screen. This, however, is only available via special connections, and a very expensive CRT monitor (more easily done in PrPro). I recommend for critical viewing that one burn either a DVD RW, or BD RE to test the images on a set-top player, hooked to a TV.

4.) Do not do any unnecessary Scaling of your footage and make sure that your Project Prest matches the source footage 100%.

Good luck, and hope that something helps,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Video's are soft (blurry)
              Wucky Level 1

To add a bit to Hunt's point   . . .   I never rely on the image as presented on the computer monitor...  I always burn a test DVD and try it on a television.  If possible, one similar to what I'll be showing it on.   They seem to vary a little bit.

• 4. Re: Video's are soft (blurry)
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

From all reports this Camtasia issue goes beyond the Monitor level. The Premiere Elements users who I have dealt with, who have experienced the "not so clear" issue when using a Camtasia video source, claim that the problem is visible in the Monitor independant of rendering the Timeline or setting the Monitor magnification. And, that the "not so clear" Monitor images carry over to the end product using varied Premiere Elements export types. These users with the problem insist that they have tried export from Camtasia with an infinite number of codec choices and got the same end result in Premiere Elements editing/exporting.

ATR

• 5. Re: Video's are soft (blurry)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

That was why I also posted the link to the Camtasia TechSmith CODEC article.

I just wanted to also eliminate all possible variables.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Video's are soft (blurry)
                    csgaraglino Level 1

Come on guys, please read ALL my post.

Camtaisa is ONLY the sample video, it blurs ANY video I try to export.

Also, these videos are for Web use only.

• 7. Re: Video's are soft (blurry)
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

csgaraglino

Sorry, I guess we all read your initial post the same way and not the way you meant to convey it.

It came across as Camtasia video tested in variety of different formats gave you the "soft" video. I guess we never imagined that you would be using Camtasia video with reported quality issues in Premiere Elements as a baseline in such a study.

I have just downloaded your sample video that you posted and will try to get a look at it in my Premiere Elements. I have versions 2, 4, and 7 and will try the video in all and do some tests. I hope to have some results for you before midnight which is in about an hour where I am. Curosity and stick-it-to-tiveness are two of my major vices so be assured that I will try to help.

I know how frustrating it is to have problems with Premiere Elements coupled with people not reading what you intended. Hope that I have some good news for you soon.

ATR

• 8. Re: Video's are soft (blurry)
                        csgaraglino Level 1

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have tried the same test with a video clip I took from a Nikon P6000.

Here I ran it through AVS4YOU and have a small encoded file where you can clearly read the writing on my shirt.

http://www.ilgm.com/userfiles/file/Test_20_Baseline.avi

Nothing special, but I can not get PRE8 to give me anything even close to what this cheesy program can do?

• 9. Re: Video's are soft (blurry)
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

csgaraglino

I have looked at both your video samples and the news goes from so so to terrible. The two videos that you presented represent two problematic type video for Premiere Elements, one more so that the other.

The first video I am understanding to be from a Camtasia Studio movie using as video codec the TechSmith Screen Codec and having a frame size of 640 x 480 and a frame rate of 10 frames/second. The wrapper is AVI (file extension is .avi). I have:

(a) taken that into Premiere Elements 7 and placed it on the Timeline

(b) Rendered the Timeline by  pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard to get the best possible preview

(c) Changed the Edit Mode Monitor Magnification from Fit to 100%

The resulting Timeline is not "crisp", but improved. Give it a try and see what you think. But, do read all those other users who have gone done the road of trying to get higher quality Premiere Elements results from Camtasia Studio movies. See my previous comments which essentially say that I feel that I fare a little better than some in this regard doing as above, but exporting from Camtasia with the H.264 codec with the .mov file extension. You may have to experiment with different codecs as well as different font style and sizes for the Camtasia export.

The second video is worst case. It is an Xvid. That is bad news for Premiere Elements, and I believe will require conversion to something else. If DV AVI, great. More on that tomorrow if you want to go into it. This video you say is from a Nikon P6000. The codec is Xvid, the frame size 640 x 480, the frame rate is 25 frames per second. This also has an .avi wrapper. The audio is MPEG-1 Layer 3 Stereo. The utility called gspot tells me that the video and audio codecs for this video are installed yet, when I take the video into Premiere Elements 7, I get audio, but black video.

If these two videos are representative of what you must work with as is, are you willing to talk conversion for the Xvid and try to explore other codecs for Camtasia and review the history of Camtasia video with Premiere Elements? Also, I wonder just how much the low resolution 640 x 480 resolution is hurting you with regard to text visibility. Was any upscaling of smaller text size involved in the production of the Camtasia video?

I check your thread tomorrow to see your thoughts and what we can do to improve the situation. I also will rethink my thoughts in the light of day.

ATR

• 10. Re: Video's are soft (blurry)
                            csgaraglino Level 1

I think I might be zeroing in on some of the issues: (There is obviously more than one in play here!)

When I create a project it only give me a 720x480 Preset, when what I need is 640x480? If I take a 720x480 and export it as 640x480 isn't it going be blurry is it tries to squeeze it into a smaller space that is not the same aspect ratio?

When I bring in my 640x480 video & image, I have banding on the left & right?

Can I make or get a preset that is 640x480?

• 11. Re: Video's are soft (blurry)
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

csgaraglino

As you see there is no Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) for the frame size 640 x 480 or the frames sizes of 10 frames/second or NTSC 25 frames/second. Keep in mind that the project preset (new project dialog) essentially represents a template from which to edit. It does not bind you to an export type. Here are some aspects of the program for you to explore:

1. Setting the project preset for NTSC DV Standard. But, when the workspace opens and before you import your video into Premiere Elements, go Edit Menu/Preferences/General, and there uncheck "Default Scale to Frame Size". Then when you import your 640 x 480 video, it will not be scaled to the Frame Size as per the project preset (new project dialog). When you get to Share/Personal Computer/ look under the Advance button of a particular export choice to get at the settings and set them accordingly. If you want to export 640 x 480, then adjust those settings under Advance button. Same for frame rate.

2. Interpret Footage. Once you have your content on the Premiere Elements Timeline and you think that it is not representing the aspect ratio or frame rate that you intended, you can go into the Project Media view, right click the video's file there, select Interpret Footage, and, in the Interpret Footage dialog, set the Frame Rate as well as the pixel aspect ratio.

In the case of Camtasia Studio, have you explored all your export options with regard to video format, frame size, frame rate, font styles and sizes, that will enhance your specific present environment?

I came across the following link that may or may not prove of interest.

http://www.merttol.com/articles/web/display-size-and-resolution-accessibility.html

Please let us know how you are progressing.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Video's are soft (blurry)
                                csgaraglino Level 1

A.T. Romano,

The answer is in fact that all my media (images, video, etc.) are all 640x480 and are being stretched in fit the 720x480 window.

This is the root of the blurry output!

I am going to start another thred on this topic and see where it leads me.

Thanks for all your help.

• 13. Re: Video's are soft (blurry)
                                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I said in your other post, CS, most 640x480 images are not stretched to fit a 720x480 video frame. Since video pixels are non-square, in most cases a 640x480 image is exactly the same size as a 720x480 video.

It depends on what type of file you're bringing in to your project.

• 15. Re: Video's are soft (blurry)
                                    jackscon joseph Level 1

These tutorial videos are caputred in very compression codecs because it will play easily in multimedia authoring softwares. Any editing software could not improve the quality of the video.  You need capture these videos in good quality camcorder or screen capturing softwares.

• 16. Re: Video's are soft (blurry)
                                      csgaraglino Level 1

Jackson,

While I can appreciate your input, you seemed to have failed in reading my original post.

"I have been using AVS4YOU Video Editor ($30) for the last year, but it is very limited in features. When I save in AVS4YOU I get a great clean crisp video form the same source."

I understand that editing software can not "improve", however I would expect that apples in gets apples out.

AVS Editor does this perfectly, PRE does not.